What's new

Engine whirring not whining

Hutch532

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-DTEC 2.2 EX Tourer
Hey,
Hoping an expert could shed some light on a mysterious whirring. My 2.2 ICTDI Accord has developed a mechanical whirring sound from the top of the engine. It seems to be very intermittent, there one day and gone the next. The whirr kicks in at 2000 revs and stays all the way up the range. Initially I thought it was gearbox/clutch related but it happens in neutral.

I'm waiting to catch it in the act and will post a video as soon as it appears. Car was serviced but the mechanic misunderstood me stating it was the turbo whine, it's definitely not.

Thanks again,
Chris

Impossible to say like this mate, could just be a dry belt.

could possibly be your alternator starting to play up.

do you have the short AUX belt ?

It may also be a failing pulley. The TSB refers to the noise as a "whirring" sound.

Not sure about a short belt to be fair, would that cause this symptom as it misses a pulley? With regards to the TSB's, where do you source these, first time hearing of them and I'm intrigued?

Thanks for the replys, narrows it down no end. I'll have a vid up tomorrow after I have a mooch.

As Fahad said it's hard to tell sat on the computer but from experience and owners the main things in probable order I would say to look at are Idler pulley, alternator and even possible crank pulley.

All dealer belts are the shorter type (as I know) that removes the idler pulley as that caused a very tight wrap on the belt causing wear on the idler pulley and alternator.

The idler pulley is not needed, a simple check is try it without the belt