What's new

Estate/Tourer How to Remove Roof channel Trim and Bars to find leak ?

dionysius

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4EX tourer auto
I have a leak into the rear drivers side cubby hole behind the subwoofer in the boot.

2006 Facelift Estate 2.4EX with motorised tailgate

Alarm kept going off and had the odd flat battery discovered water in the cubby hole which has got into the multi-plug there and corroded the pins (one so bad it snapped off) - drying out and cleaning it up has cured the fault but the water is still coming in.

I've had some of the boot floor trim up and sprinkled talc all around to see where it's tracking... Which hasn't revealed any obvious flow paths.

It's accumulating underneath the multi-plug which is clipped to the rear pillar without leaving a track and putting my hand round inside under the cubby I can feel the pillar is slightly moist I think its coming down the rear corner pillar possibly the hidden side facing out to the wing or down inside it.

So it's likely coming from the roof possibly the sealant in the roof join in the channels as other people on this forum have found (or maybe the window corner ?)

How do I get the roof bars of and then the channel trims out to check the channels and reseal if necessary ?

A video or some pictures of the process would be great.

And how do I get the trim off round the rear bottom corner of the window ?

And what sealants would people use to seal these up ?

Thanks in advance as this has been driving me nuts to find where it's coming from ,- just thankful I have found that the electric issue is caused by the leak.

Been there done that still have a leak 2 years on! I resealed valleys but made no difference.I since realised valleys are easy to diagnose.Remove centre trim from headliner at rear (right in front of you with tailgate open) push liner down slightly and you can shine a torch down the entire length of both vallies but view from underneath.
Today i finally found out the water is actually entering via the left hinge (could be right on yours),drips down C pillar and enters cubby soaking panels etc on its way.
My next job tmrw is to locate where it enters the tailgate.I strongly suspect its via one of the locators or bolts that secure the spoiler.
I have had many leaky cars over the years but none harder to cure than this.
Will report back with findings asap
Just to add over the last 2 years i have re plumbed sunroof drains,new seals/gromits for light clusters,valleys sealed,all gromits and vents behind bumber either resealed or blocked up and a new tailgate rubber seal for door.Also checked and tested rear quarter windows which are water tight.

Last edited:
I resealed valley on that side 2 days ago but like you has made no difference.

My drive is on a slope and been changing parking direction I have just found water only gets in when parked boot facing downwards. (Unless of course it's running somewhere else......)

Bonnet facing downwards it's as dry as a bone.

Does this suggest a boot seal or seam issue ?

The hinges look to be under the roof almost inside so I don't see how it's getting in on yours there ? Is it coming through the seam above or the seal itself ?

I can see some panel joins between the inner and outer skin of the car roof and wings and rear valance that are all unsealed with about a 0.5mm gap between them if I peal back the rubber seal - in lots of places round the tailgate opening.

Wondering if it is here.

How do I get the seal off all the way round ?

It is possible,even likely you have a different leak.In my case i can completely rule out the roof/valleys.I totally get your thinking with the hinges and i thought the same but with paneling removed you get a better idea of whats going on from inside car.
Very hard to put into words but ill try )
Water leaks into upper tailgate,pools and drips down in previously described way.The reason i know this is when i begin to lift tailgate water literally runs like a tap along said path and pours out of that little vent panel on left of boot.This where it appears in the car with the bulk of it running behind panel and down into cubby.
I just didn't have time today to investigate further but i already know the tailgate itself is the source of leak,however unlikely it appears when looking at the car.
If you go to rear of your car open it up you will see theres a three piece plastic trim on the tailgate itself.Carefully remove it and look behind left/right.If either is wet your water is entering from tailgate.If both are dry your leak is from the roof.This much i do know )
Hopefully i get time to get back on this tmrw.

In case it helps. I had/have a leak in the rear left hand side as you sit in the drivers side on a 2007 British Honda Accord Estate car, Mileage 115K miles. Note Right hand drive. Following a video on U Tube, I tried removeing the roof rails, easily done but could not find a leak, I applied a sealant to anything that looked likely but it didnt stop the leak, which was evident in the left hand rear boot (estate car) and in the little cubby hole underneath, car. A trip to my local body shop friend helped because he suggested tapeing a paper tissue to the inside of the top of the rear side window and checking it after rain, this identified with pretty good certainty that the water was getting into the seal around the top of the rear side window glass.
How to seal it ? Another chat with another friend (Windscreen Fitter) informed that on a Honda normal windscreen sealants do not work and can in fact mess the seal up because some are put in without a sealant. Scratch you head there, a learing experience. In desparation I bought about the best sealant I could get, used for aeroplane seals, and applied by pushing pushing a small nozzle in between the top of the window rubber and the bodywork. It sealed it and I was chuffed.
However, two years later, its leaking again.
I havejust learnt, on this forum, that there is a wiring junction of some sort in this area behind/under the internal lining, If any one knows how to get to it the easy way I would like to know please because I am now getting all sorts of wierd effects with the electrical system ie 350 mA power drain on battery with nothing switched on, Remote locking intermittent, alarm keeps going off, fault indicators suggesting tailgate lock not working/tailgate not closed, rear wash wipe has mind of its own not responding to switch on steering column, latest is car starts beeping internally.
Hope this helps others and Any ***istance welcome please ?

Try these two threads, two years on and no further issues. More regular use of car since covid era has also removed any previous condensation issues with my tourer and wifes civic.