What's new

External temp sensor - over optomistic

pstruck

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord 2.4 EX
I'm fairly certain that my external temperature readout is a bit optomistic and by my reckoning is reading 3 or 4 degrees high. Can these things be calibrated or adjusted? Could it be a duff or even just a dirty sensor? Where is the sensor on the 7th gen?

Its under the front bumper drivers side, but here's a tip! if you have to scrape ice off the windscreen it's cold, if you find the screen is wet it has been or is raining, and if it's plastered with flies then it is probably summer time, but note that the last is a rarity in the UK.

A more helpful answer is yes it can be calibrated. There was a thread about it a while ago but unfortunately i cant remember how it's done or the thread ***le DOH

I also remember someone describing how to adjust (rather than calibrate) the temperature reading... it involved having to use the tripmeter reset button, iirc.

I was quite interested until I noted this only applied to the facelift models with the on-board computer.

I think the setting of the ice warning 'chime' temp can be altered or switched off.

Jon_G said:
I also remember someone describing how to adjust (rather than calibrate) the temperature reading... it involved having to use the tripmeter reset button, iirc.

I was quite interested until I noted this only applied to the facelift models with the on-board computer.
Nope, you can do this with pre-facelift models as well. I done it with my 2.4 as it was over optimistic by about 2 degrees. To do this hold down the odo reset while turning ignition to (II) and keep holding until the temp goes changes from -3 -> +3. It will cycle through the numbers and when it's right let go and it's saved.

So, for example, I measure mine and it was constantly over-reading by 2 degrees. So, when the outside temperature was reporting 7 degrees, I cycled to minus 2 and saved. It then reported 5 degrees.

jayok said:
Nope, you can do this with pre-facelift models as well. I done it with my 2.4 as it was over optimistic by about 2 degrees. To do this hold down the odo reset while turning ignition to (II) and keep holding until the temp goes changes from -3 -> +3. It will cycle through the numbers and when it's right let go and it's saved.

So, for example, I measure mine and it was constantly over-reading by 2 degrees. So, when the outside temperature was reporting 7 degrees, I cycled to minus 2 and saved. It then reported 5 degrees.
I can't get this to work. I'll have another try later.

Takes about 10 seconds of holding for it to start cycling. I can't remember if I powered if off first displaying the temperature rather than the distance.

I'm beginning to doubt that this works on a facelift 7th gen car. So the temp is on the multi funtion display on the dash - always displayed. I press and hold the reset button (the oneon the dash, not the steering wheel) while the ignition is off and turn the ignition to II while keeping the button pressed for a further 10 seconds or more. Nope, nothing happening!

I'll look it up for you in the Honda manual and come back. It definitely can be adjusted.

jayok said:
I'll look it up for you in the Honda manual and come back. It definitely can be adjusted.
Great, thanks. As I said, it's a 7th gen facelift with premium sound/sat-nav.

Ok, think I've found it. I need to go into the 'change setting' menu on the multi-function-display. Will give it a go tomorrow.

pstruck said:
I'm fairly certain that my external temperature readout is a bit optomistic and by my reckoning is reading 3 or 4 degrees high. Can these things be calibrated or adjusted? Could it be a duff or even just a dirty sensor? Where is the sensor on the 7th gen?
did u ever get this sorted ?i have tried the hold down for 10 secs lark no luck
cheers

Definately working on pre-facelift. Just hold the odo reset button with ignition ON. It first resets the odometer and if you keep holding the button, it will cycle through -3/+3 degrees. Just release the button on correct value.

matsalka said:
Definately working on pre-facelift. Just hold the odo reset button with ignition ON. It first resets the odometer and if you keep holding the button, it will cycle through -3/+3 degrees. Just release the button on correct value.
yep I just tried it with the engine running.

I did quick presses on the odo reset button until outside temperature was showing. Then I held the reset button down, the odo reading goes to zero, keep holding it down, then the temperature cycles through -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, -3, -2, etc. When you release the button the outside temperature is displayed again.

This is not in the owners manual (ffs Honda). For the record, my car is 7th gen pre-facelift 2.4 Ex Tourer.