What's new

Fan belt - 2.2 diesel

I am using a 7PK1788 on my N22 for the last year, its a Continental belt correct? They tend not to squeak as much as the Gates one.

Hi

I just done this job today. Here are my findings :

1) I decided to buy my belt directly from the dealer in the end (approx £50) - part number 04301-RBD-305 - however what you receive in the box is a nice diagram on the layout of the new belt - and the actual belt I received was 38920-RBD-E03 - which is made by Bando - also has part number 7PK1788.

2) Fitting the belt - there are a couple of ways to do this :
a ) Buy the correct belt and pay a local garage to fit it - Approx charge £30-40 depending on your area. This is far the easiest option - no hassle and shouldn't take more than 30 mins to do. Its a quick and easy job
b ) Get it all done at the local dealer - Probably the most expensive option - but if you having other work done (e.g. recall or MOT) then it might be more convenient
c ) Buy the tool and have a go fitting yourself - The cheapest option - but dependent on weather if you don't have a garage.

3) Before you start - you need to remove the metal bracket - (the one directly in front of the idle pulley which you need remove later on anyway). This is held on by 2 x 10mm bolts. This bracket gives support for 2 power steering pump rubber pipes and also one vertical metal pipe . The pipes are held in with clips - which interlock - you need to prise them open - a flat head screwdriver will help here as is straight forward. The 10mm bolts are easy to get to provided you have tools. You will need a long extension socket around 250mm for the bolt on the left to get access to it. The other bolt is vertical and you will need a 10mm ratchet spanner for this due to lack of space. Then you need ease the rubber pipe out of the holder gently - then try and follow a path of twists, rotations and turns to get the bracket out - this is slightly tricky as you don't want to stress the surrounding pipes - and the bracket has sharp edges - so you don't want to accident cut in to the rubber pipe either. Take your time and it does come out. Once its out of the way - you will have more space to get access to the belt tensioner and the idle pulley.

The tool :

s-l1000.jpg

3) So I bought the above tool for around £15. All looked good until I came to actually use it. I found out that it does not come with a 14mm socket, only a 14mm crow foot. I tried using the crow foot - but it would not grip on properly due to the tensioner size and angle. I actually did have a short 14mm hex socket. Although the socket fitted onto the belt tensioner - there was not enough space to get the tool on there or a ratchet.
a) The solution that worked in the end was using 14 ring spanner on the belt tensioner end - and a 1/2" breaker bar on the open spanner end - this gave enough leverage to slacken the belt. (Use this solution at your own risk - as you can easily round the head on the tensioner!) - Although this is not the ideal method - The proper tool would definitely be a lot easier and would take half the time, and will probably invest in one if I need to do take the belt off again. The tensioner bolt need to move towards the front of the car or clockwise to give the belt some slack.

4) Once the belt is off, jack the car up - take off the front drivers side wheel and remove part of the lower right inner wheel arch. This is held on by 2 plastic pop rivet clips, then you can swing it out of the way - it wont come off completely. This will give you access to the crank shaft pulley and the air con compressor pulley. This will make your life a lot easier when fitting the new belt.

5) Using a 14mm spanner - take off the idle pulley - its no longer required.

6) Feed in the new belt - following the diagram given. - but don't install it over the alternator pulley just yet - it wont reach anyway - that will be the last step.

7) Get a 2nd person to help you as it will be easier. Using your tensioner tool - pull the tensioner clockwise to get some slack, then get your mate to slip on the belt.

New layout :

1434203_Instructions.jpg

8) Double check the diagram and make sure the belt is fitted correctly and aligned - then start the car and give it a go.

9) Sit back and pat yourself on the back for a job well done - and make a cup of tea!

Hope the above is useful to someone - but I would say get the proper tool to make your life easier should you attempt this.

:)