What's new

Fixing a Broken Storage Box

whereami

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S 04
This Storage space broke on me, it would not open with a light touch as it used to( the wife swears she did not touch it or force it shut!! :unsure: hmmmm) so I will show you what goes on behind plastic veil of this piece of kit.

SDC11604.JPG

First thing to do is to gently pull up the gear knob surounds, its held in by a couple of clips so be careful not to break them. move it to one side

SDC11605.JPG

Then remove the Screws that hold the ash tray in place.
SDC11606.JPG

Remove these two screws too and the whole ash tray will pull out.
SDC11607.JPG

like so.
SDC11608.JPG

You know need to remove the screws holding the storage box in place.
SDC11609.JPG

make sure the lid is closed then you can pull it out with very little problems. So thats how you remove it out of the way to start fixing the problem. :D

pull the box out to start looking at the problem.
SDC11611.JPG

this is what it will look like on the side.
SDC11613.JPG

now its a process of removing each screw and slowly take it apart.

first remove the metal shield then the screws underneath which control the speed of the door opening. Then the guide arms and springs then the door will come off with very little problem.
SDC11615.JPG

SDC11618.JPG

you should be able to remove all the parts and there are only two springs inside.

SDC11622.JPG

now here is my problem, The guide inside the lid has been damaged. the lines are not smooth and there is damage to be seen,
SDC11623.JPG

SDC11624.JPG

a close up shows that the line in the middle is not supposed to be there, so it gets caught when I try to open it. So to mend this I took a screw driver and ran it through the channels to smooth them out and widen the channels. The Middle channel which was not supposed to be there I smoothed out by using a Stanley knife by cutting the top flush again. Once the channels were smoothed out again, I made sure they had some grease in them and put it back together again.

the result was it fixed my problem. So know its put back together and put back in the car. Glad it works now, Thumbs up from me :lol:

SDC11628.JPG

Hero! Ive had to force mine to open it ever since i bought my car. Now i know the problem i could fix it, or i could stop being lazy and fit the facelift one anojan gave me for free, lol!

Just to clear the facelift boxes have OPEN engraved on the wee metal bar. My prefacelift box had a tacky open sticker on the bar, but i removed it as it was super cheap looking, lol

This is a great write up, which I've just used to help repair mine (whilst also fitting a connects2 unit). However, one little thing I'd like to add is that in my case, not only were the channels damaged and filled with plastic swarf, the L-shaped metal pin which runs within the channel was bent. It's worth checking and easily repaired with 2 pairs of pliers to straighten out!