What's new

Found the problem! CLUTCH!

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Guys/Girls I have found the issue with the car! As most of you know i had problems with crunching etc etc and shifting along with power delivery had been an issue.

On Sunday after going for a spirited drive my clutch finally gave up! Slipping like crazy even gentle throttle. But then went away so took it to uni today 80 mile round trip and its back for sure this time as even cruise control actually cuts out when trying to accelerate. I cannot get the clutch to stick at all in any gear at any speed over 30 mph so called HH to find out price of clutch kit is £150!!!!!!! LOVELY! lol

Then called crown Honda in Hendon to ask for fitting and was quoted, wait for it.............................................

seriously wait for it.........................................and make sure your sitting down..........................

'that will be £785 all in for labour Sir'
cue my response of c u next tuesday!

I then spoke with service manager who apologised about the astronomical price and quoted me £725!!!!

Anyways going to order clutch tomorrow along with honda oils, clutch and trans from HH and find someone to fit without bending me over and doing me lubeless! -.-

Anybody know anywhere close to north london that would be handy and not cost the earth? And anything else that I should change while i am down there would be appreciated but not welcomed by my wallet!

Thank you all

If i do not get a reply i take it as a sign that most have been admitted to A&E and for that I am truly sorry!

p.s Honda Hendon have said they do not know of a Holdcroft Honda and they recommend I buy from a genuine Honda otherwise they will not fit my part :eek: unbelievable!!!! andddddddddddd finished by asking 'would you like me to book that in for you Sir?'

You've killed the flywheel too right? Same as I did on the 2.4. Honda do ask a lot for clutches. Go CG motorsport or even Exedy Clutch and Flywheel kit. Get them fitted by an indi, apparently it's a straight forward job for any mechanic. I'm sure you could get the part and labour for under £500.

It's a petrol mate!

Steve clue me on flywheels please why would that be knackered?

I'm calling a few places tomorrow, typical honda eyyyy

Anyone else? :) Brett is knowledgeable and fahad! Someone divert their attention to here lol

My clutch went, slipped a lot in the few days leading up to me getting it replaced, in which time it damaged the flywheel and so that needed replacing also, basically doubles the cost for parts as the flywheel is about the same price as the clutch.

See what you can find in terms of performance clutches. I think, but you may want to double check the 2.0 and 2.4 use the same clutch, which might help broaden your search. If memory serves, there are a number of good deals to be had on performance clutches for Acura TSX 2.4s in the states. Cheaper than UK prices even after shipping.

Thanks for the reply Steve! I've contacted a few honda vendors to see what they recommend. Heard of clutch masters fx clutches are around £200. I'm not driving it anymore as I don't want to damage anything else to be honest. It barely goes up hill, might need to hire a car for a week or two if buying from the states! Or may just get a OEM clutch from Honda and just leave it at that, hassle free and honestly won't need to get the best clutch as I don't do too much racing. I do spirited drives about twice a months but that's it.

Why does everything have to happen in the space of a month -.-

Can you by any chance check the lings website to see if the same clutch is used for 2.0 and 2.4 as I am the least knowledgeable as to what to look at lol! You know what I'm like!

According to LINGS the clutch is the same, but the flywheel different! I don't see how that can be. Check with Fahad, he's changed a few and knows the situation with the petrol clutches.

Just get a clutch kit from HH, 3 piece kit which includes release bearing. Also get two litres of MT3

Labour rates vary wildly. I've had it done as cheap as £80 mates rates but you could pay double that easy with a backstreet garage.

Flywheel might be ok they just need to check the face. If it's scored they can reskim it or just clean up with a wire brush.

If it's bad then you might need a replacement. For my wife's K20 I just got a used one for £30 from a breaker and got CG motorsports to put it on the lathe and it came out like brand new..

I'm going to get some prices for fitting tomorrow, hopefully flywheel isn't badly damaged. Thanks for the response guys!

Will keep you all posted as to how it goes.

How long do you have to 'bed in' new clutches?

Same as brakes?

Hamid if your getting the clutch from HH ask them for a fitting quote.
I always take my car up to them even with a 250 mile round trip.
Great service and great prices and people I can trust with my car

I don't mind driving mate or the petrol it's just I dont want to drive it as it really is dangerous to drive at the moment especially on the motorways!

I have sourced an exedy clutch for £165
Anyone have anything to say about them?

no need for an aftermarket clutch on a standard K20 or K24 when the Honda genuine item is so cheap!

That's what I was saying! Only £150!

'The stage 1 exedy and the 1.5 Comp clutch offer 40-50% of torque capacity and maintains stock pedal feel'

What is torque capacity?

Spoke to Gareth at HH such a helpful chap had a good laugh about my stupid local dealer!

Anyways most likely call him up tomorrow morning get the clutch, clutch fluid and trans fluid for, £150, £6 and £16 respectively

Right I've narrowed it down everyone!
Honda OEM £150
Exedy stage 1 clutch £250 (cheapest in the uk lol)!

What does everyone think?

Right no one can change my mind because I have ordered a new clutch from HH! Seriously after speaking with Gareth about 5 times nothing is ever too much! Everywhere else just want your money. Andy at vtec direct is also a good mate that recommended OEM so bought and hopefully here by the morning. Clutch+MTF3+Clutch Fluid for £172 :D happy is not the word!

OEM. That's a good price man.

I'm over the moon with it! Now all I need is you to fit my short shifter :) so my nob can be like yours

You're not the first to want a knob like mine Hamid :lol:

Who needs a room when you can fold the seats down in the tourer ;) :lol:

haha omg!!!! plenty room to shift!

UPDATE
Parts arrived today looking lovely will upload pic shortly!

Dads mate has a garage that will do it all for £200 all in with trans and clutch fluid change.

Good price?

He is rather busy though so will be getting car back on monday evening

Big problem while taking car to garage the car won't even move now! I'm dreading a driveshaft issue! Car is in gear but will not stall at all

Car had to be towed to the garage last night as it
Wouldn't even move at all!

Being me I could not find the jacking point even though I had the book! And I used the battery cover which to my surprise held up no problem at all :) very very strong lol!

Left at the garage and the car is being taken apart as we speak, will see what the damage is and how bad at around 3pm today!

Well the car has been stripped and unfortunately I have some bad news. The car is going to cost a lot more to get fixed now. To give you an idea of the extent of the damage lets just say when in gear the car won't move!

Problem is the part beginning with the letter G and ending in X is dead :( no idea what to do now. Anyone with advice please do share...