What's new

front brake caliper piston sticking

Just wondering what to put on the "banjo" joint to stop it all coming out ???
When removing slave cylinders I always put clingfilm over the (topped up to the max) master cylinder (under the screw top) and so as the level drops a vacuum is formed that will prevent the level dropping too much. You might get the odd drip from the banjo, but not many. I guess if you needed to leave it for several days then you could put a nut & bolt through the banjo bolt and tighten it up, using the washers from the cylinder connection.

When removing slave cylinders I always put clingfilm over the (topped up to the max) master cylinder (under the screw top) and so as the level drops a vacuum is formed that will prevent the level dropping too much. You might get the odd drip from the banjo, but not many. I guess if you needed to leave it for several days then you could put a nut & bolt through the banjo bolt and tighten it up, using the washers from the cylinder connection.
many many thanks for that Jon ;)

I feel more confident about doing it now, I've never worked on an ABS before, don't want brake fluid peeing out and leaving it empty :eek:

So ....miracles do happen !!!!!

Many thanks to Jon_G for this miracle as it was he who put up the ebay link to "18g Castrol Red Rubber Grease Brake Caliper Fluid Handy MINI TIN" @ £2.37 free delivery

It arrived last Saturday (16th) but I've been postponing/prevaricating as I didn't really hold much hope.

Went for it this afternoon, with an ***istant on the brake pedal. Got the ***istant to press the brake pedal very slowly while the piston moved out as far as I dared, then shoved loads of the grease under the boot that covers the caliper piston (surface rust on the piston). Pushed the piston back, didn't go further than before, got the ***istant to press the pedal again, etc, etc a few times.

I was about to give up, then the piston started to go further back all of a sudden, very stiff though. Moved it back a fair way, then got the ***istant to move the piston out again, then piston went back with less resistance, all the way back.

Put on the new disc and new pads, and I am sooooo pleased that that hurdle has been jumped at a cost of £2.37 !!!! :eek:

Good result Brian glad your sorted mate and for just a few quid.

The news that a seized caliper can be fixed with elbow grease and red rubber grease for only £2.37, caused such a stir, that the server crashed :lol:

I'd say about 2cm, when I started this thread it would only go back in to about 1cm
Brakes are now perfect, tried some heavy braking from 50 mph on a flat 50mph road, it's straight. Got out and I could push the car easily.