What's new

Front foglight problem

icewarrior

Members
Reaction score
Car
Audi A6 S Line TDI
Hi folks.

Has anyone encountered any electrical problem with their foglights.

I left work a few days ago and upon returning to the car, noticed that my front fogs were on (albeit they were very dull). They were the only lights that were on, the side/main lights were off. The fogs weren't on at lunchtime, but were on when i got back at 3.15pm. The subsequent half dead battery meant that i had to sit for 10 mins while the batery got enough juice in it so that the alarm siren stopped going off. Got home 30 mins later, turned off the lights and the fogs were off. Tried lights on and using the fogs and they were fine (they turned on and off, and went out when i turned the sidelights off) and i thought all was well. Around 2am, the fogs came back on, started the car up, turned main beam on and the fogs went out about a minute later. lights off, engine off and within 30 secs they came back on. Ended up pulling the fuse so that my battery wouldnt go dead.

The car has been fine with the fuse pulled. Tonight when i left work, i put the fuse back in, and the fogs came straight back on. wouldnt turn off with the main beam on no matter what position the foglight switch was in. They were also very dull again, looking at the car from the front, they were not much brighter than my sidelights.
I noticed when i stopped, that they werent on, but while i was watching, i could see them trying to come on, lighting up for a fraction of a second, then a little bit longer, and then back on permanently, still very dull. Have had to pull the fuse again to get them to turn off.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I wondered if it could be a duff relay, but wasnt sure if a bad relay would cause them to be that dull.

thanks for any replies

Sam

main place to look is the relay under the drivers side of the front bumper. it tends to get soaked and corrode. other than that i have recently experianced a problem where the underbonnet fuse box had an internal poor connection and caused the foglights to not work at all. its one of those jobs where you need the wiring diagram and work down through the circuit to identify what the problem is. it seams somthing is giving the fogs a 12v feed intermittantly so safe bet is to keep the fuse out and have it looked at.

Thanks Adam, much appreciated.

I'll try replacing the relay. I'm guessing its just a standard 4 pin relay and that i'm best getting one from Honda rather than a generic one from eurocarparts or the like?

pity the car didnt come with spares lol

Agree with Adam sounds like the relay that seems to be a bit of a problem on the Accord. I recently got mine replaced as the front fogs weren't working at all. Think relay was around £40 (genuine Honda).

sorry to bump this thread but just noticed my fogs doing exactly the same this evening. Did replacing the relay fix it?