What's new

Front shocks

skinnyman

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.4 Type S
After some new shocks as my 06 plate Type S has just failed its MOT due to a 'serious leak'.

I'm guessing the general consensus is to stick with genuine Honda parts?

Bit miffed as its only covered 56k

You can put Koni or KYB.Probably cost less money.I found Stagg dampers from US.But not sure about quality.

Ok so I've found KYB shocks for £60 a piece, and the top mount kit for both for £23.

Guess I'm not going to get much better than that?

Nope, you're not. The KYBs are pretty good as OEM replacment - Honda is just too much OEM.

Bilstein are good, but much more ££££. Also with the standard spring I don't think you'll need/see the difference.

So, question is.

Does new front shocks = tracking needs doing?

Replaced the shocks, but springs, bushes, top mounts etc were left alone.

Generally no - if you're replacing like with like (i.e. the same type of shock and not lowering you'll be fine). The only adjustable component on the Accord is toe and this isn't impacted by the change of a front shock on the Accord - thank you double wishbone. If it was a McPhearson strut, that'd be a different story.

skinnyman said:
After some new shocks as my 06 plate Type S has just failed its MOT due to a 'serious leak'.
I'm guessing the general consensus is to stick with genuine Honda parts?
Bit miffed as its only covered 56k
My ball joint failed my car only had 50k on it paid £190 for it parts cost a lot from dealer.want to lower it next but got to find the right shocks and springs first

Lowering and shock? Bilstein B6 front B8 back FTW.

I think a serious, hard working part like a shock absorber should be either OEM of a highly reputable brand.

Like shoes... I wear nice, Jones' shoes to work, our of work, Adidas or Nike. Cost good money, but the quality is there and evident as shoes get a lot of abuse.

However, like my fake £1 Honda branded dust caps from eBay, I bought my socks in Primark ;) . Save where it doesn't matter, but if it's heavy loaded part, worth paying that little extra.

Stevearcade said:
I think a serious, hard working part like a shock absorber should be either OEM of a highly reputable brand.

Like shoes... I wear nice, Jones' shoes to work, our of work, Adidas or Nike. Cost good money, but the quality is there and evident as shoes get a lot of abuse.

However, like my fake £1 Honda branded dust caps from eBay, I bought my socks in Primark ;) .
Better than I bought my fake Honda brake pads from eBay for £1 I suppose :)