What's new

Fuel Economy - Procative Steps/Advice?

Russel i have to agree with you, on most of the B roads round my way it is nice to have some fun, but it's the people that do stilly MPH on the A14 during rush hour and you see them pull off really fast, and then slam on their brakes. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Trev i never used to understand that either, but that's the only reason i can come up with as to why i get lads trying to race me in their Saxos and Corsas. I completly understand the reason for fast cars, i have a 200+bhp ATR, and a 290bhp (soon to be 300+) Impreza, but i don't go around trying to race everything else on the road. I don't understand it. They seem like they're got something to prove.

For any 2.0l petrol cl7's out there, I recently changed the grade of oil I was using. Usually using 10w40, I switched to an also recommended 0w-20 oil, Honda's own brand stuff, cheap enough too, and I saw an immediate difference in fuel comsumption, keeping the same driving style, spirited driving to the speed limits ;) I'm easily adding a couple more mpg's to my tanks :D

Baz 0-20W seems pretty thick to me mate. I thought the recommendation was 10-40 fully synth, i always use 0-50W fully synth. Not cheap, but worth it imho.

My 2.0 SE Exec averages 38-40mpg with mixed driving. My commute is 32 miles (Live in the City Centre and work in the countryside - so City Centre, A-Roads and Motorway on my commute).

I tend to set the cruise at around 70 and try not to use the brakes etc too much. I'm certainly not into extreme austerity, if I wanted economy in the extreme I'd have bought a Clio diseasal or something.

My average sized car manages average MPG. I actually had a guy suck air through his teeth when I mentioned I get around 38mpg...

Is everyone convinced a petrol engined car will bankrupt them or something?
What is this sorcery?!
I didn't even think the 2.0 would do more than 30mpg extra urban

Yeah, my Accord did give good fuel economy on motorways, even the Prelude returned close to 40mpg on the motorway back from picking it up - I think it's because you tend to go without using VTEC for quite long periods of time and use the cruise control. Around town both were terrible, but then again I'd rather drive a car in a way that I enjoy rather than conservatively - driven carefully they can do better, as my girlfriend has proved with the Prelude since taking it over for herself!

Baz 0-20W seems pretty thick to me mate. I thought the recommendation was 10-40 fully synth, i always use 0-50W fully synth. Not cheap, but worth it imho.

I hope the images below can be viewed handily, but this is an oil booklet from Honda Ireland, and the recommended grades applied to most recent Honda's ;)

Oilbooklet1.jpg
[/img]

OilBooklet2.jpg
[/img]

Grrrrr, still can't figure out pic process :unsure: :unsure:

Fair play to you mate. Sorry. Its my fault i thought you had a 6th gen for some reason :unsure:

In my 2.0 6th gen I'm averaging at 41mpg and that's hitting vtec quite frequently (if I want to go anywhere I pretty much have to always go on the A38). What I have noticed though, is that driving 'economically' doesn't make a dramatic difference in my case, maybe 1-2mpg difference. If I really hammer it (Vtec everywhere etc) then it goes down to 27mpg (give or take). I've still yet to change my plugs, do a full oil change etc so will report my findings once I've done it.