What's new

General maintenance/service

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Hi all

So that car is running all smooth thank god and is due a service and MOT at the end of the month and I have a few questions for you guys.

Before I start my mate is looking to buy an accord like mine it has 91000 miles bu mainly motorway. Question is in the service book what should it have from new? I.e how many stamps and what mileage or year? Thanks

Now onto my car! So I'm hitting nigh on 78000 miles ish and think maybe some important things need to be checked out. Heard of belts/chains and valve clearances? Some info would be great.

Secondly I want the car to be in good health like always and as some have seen it moves pretty well for a k20z2 that's stock and has a heavy system in the boot.

For engine oil I was thinking 5w-40 as it's more performance minded being thicker and all compared to 5w-30. Any other that people can recommend for fast road use and not bothered about mpg so much? If it makes is 'faster' I'm happy. And I ***ume fully synthetic? Anywhere special to buy 5 litres from? Link would be great.

Clutch has been changed along with brake/clutch fluid and MTF3 so that's done. Brakes are fine I need to get all suspension parts checked etc but is their anything that should be looked at that may be going as everything is stock? Bushes, wishbones?

And the fuel filter according to honda on my car lasts the life of the car? I just want it to feel faster and healthier with good maintenance so any advice is greatly appreciated. Performance spark plugs etc you get the idea.

Sorry for the essay but it's the last few months with the car till the new one arrives and I want it feeling great before it goes to my sister. Thank you all :)

Hi Hamid approx same mileage as me now. I would check drop links, wishbones and bushes as you mention, also visually inspect the aux belt. Try and get the car up on a ramp and do a visual inspection for any leaks or splits in boots, or parts that look tierd or really badly corroded. How does the car feel when driving ? Any flat spots, rough idle, is the steering good ? Thats usually the best indication of items that may need replacing. You mentioned at the start that the car is running smooth then you say you want it feeling faster and healthier what are the symptoms ?

On oil I also use Exol 5w-40 now from Lubetech, very reasonable around £28 for 5ltrs

Hi mate thanks for the response. What I mean is its not running bad as it is still smooth but their are a few small issues like a small bunny hop effect if I accelerate hard then let go. And the oil doesn't look very clean to me tbh but obviously that's getting changed anyways.

I just want it nicely maintained and obviously it's nearly 80k miles so I'm not expecting miracles but their is a difference between maintained and non maintained cars.

Also can you advise on the service schedule for the one my friend is getting? Not very good at going back in time for things lol. It's a March 07 car with 91000 miles on it ish. Thanks

At 80K miles, I'd be checking out the following:

1. The sparks need to be done (if they weren't done previously). They due every 75K miles or 8 years.
2. Inspect the drive-belt for odd wear/stretching
3. Check the shocks, ARB bushes, compliance bushes, droplinks
4. Inspect the Power Steering fluid for colour (black = no good)
5. Coolant is due every 10 years or 120K miles (not critical given our climate)
6. Valve adjustment, no harm, but can be tricky

Other than that the start oil, air and pollen filters.

Some good advice from jayok also.

I'm sorry Hamid I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the service book for the car your friend is looking at. All I would say is that if your buying a car at 91k I wouldn't be expecting the recorded service history to be bang on. I'm always very dubious about service history and your better off trying to look over and test drive the car yourself for clues. Also the use of "only motorway miles" in the add would set alarm bells ringing for me, it's almost as bad as "one lady owner" !!!

Thanks mate. Well I am going next week to get the parts, bosche and Mann everything new wipers ngk spark plugs etc etc and lovely expensive castrol oil :) was between that and mobil 1 but castrol wins obviously lol

Hamid92 said:
Well look what I've done -.- admins you know the drill...
Sorted bro lol