What's new

Grinding sound

Jon2.2

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord i-ctdi
Hi

I am hoping someone could help me with this one, i was driving down the road earlier and i heard like a metal on metal like grinding sound coming from the front passenger side, im not sure when it started as i had the radio on and never noticed it until it turned down, it was a lot clearer upon opening the window, i couldnt pull over as i was on a busy dial carriageway, couple miles on as i sped up it just got faster grinding noise, i tried pressing the brake hard thinking it might been the brakes (which i changed recently-discs and pads) but still heard the noise then i took a long left turn and the horrible noise faded out and stopped and has not returned since (few miles later...driving home)

very bizzare... by any chance was it more of a 'tinny' metal on metal.. or was it a proper harsh metal on metal noise ?

All i can think of is the dust sheild on one of the front brakes was fouling slightly with one of your disks causing what would be a tinny metal on metal noise.
It would be worth shoving your head under the car at the earliest oppertunity you get to make sure its something not too serious...

we dont want another 'calliper came off' thread!

Could have been a small stone got into brake disc/pad area. lots of crap still lying on the roads. Instead of long braking try stabbing the anchors, but make sure you alone first.

Could have been a small stone got into brake disc/pad area. lots of crap still lying on the roads. Instead of long braking try stabbing the anchors, but make sure you alone first.

His ideas better than mine!!
never thought of that :eek:

It was quite loud tbh, if the car drove past me im sure i would have heard it, it was loud but imo i dont think it was harsh hard grinding but was loud, il take the wheel off and have a visual inspection tomorrow when its light.

Strange one aye, first thoughts was ball joint or driveshaft but i always think the worst, il see whats what tomorrow and i will update

Worth checking but with the others on this, probably a bit of grit, had the same a couple of times although it does tend to clear itself quickly, but I think the shields are made by bang and oulfsen and really do give the sound some worrying clarity!

Hi

I am hoping someone could help me with this one, i was driving down the road earlier and i heard like a metal on metal like grinding sound coming from the front passenger side, im not sure when it started as i had the radio on and never noticed it until it turned down, it was a lot clearer upon opening the window, i couldnt pull over as i was on a busy dial carriageway, couple miles on as i sped up it just got faster grinding noise, i tried pressing the brake hard thinking it might been the brakes (which i changed recently-discs and pads) but still heard the noise then i took a long left turn and the horrible noise faded out and stopped and has not returned since (few miles later...driving home)

WOW! I had Exactly this problem last night! Same wheel - same noise. I reckon it must have been a chipping coz it went when I reversed a few yards. Bit of a coincidence tho eh?

I know it's an old post but I've had this!! Yes - it's a stone!!!! Best way to get rid? Drive backwards for a few yards!! :) :)