What's new

[Guide] Retrofitting the "Type S" metal pedal covers to an EX/ES spec car

btjtaylor

Reaction score
Car
Accord CU2 Manual
Something that i've been wanting to do for a while is to fit the metal pedal covers that the Type S and GT cars got. In the UK our 2.4s were sold only with rubber pedal covers which look very "poverty spec"!

Honda used to sell a "sports pedal cover" set but this has long since been discontinued - I found the PDF instructions for the pedals for reference: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bvEUG-uHraz1VFe0OHntWFXBfl8MoIO/view?usp=sharing

Here is what I purchased:
2x Pedal covers (Part number 46545-SNW-J21) - I purchased these new from amayama.com for £17.69 each. They are supplied with the 3x 3.2mm rivets you need.
1x Accelerator pedal ***embly (Part number 17800-TL0-S05) - £20 from a breakers yard - you won't probably have much luck searching by part number but if you search for "mk8 accord accelerator pedal" and look for one with the metal cover, that's what you need. I don't recommend buying one new as most of it is not needed but you can't buy the metal cover separately.
1x Foot rest (Part number 46992-TL0-S01) - I got this from a breakers for £15 but you can order it from Amayama if you want a new one.
1x pack of 3.2mm pop rivets - ideally black in colour to match the Honda OEM rivets - I had some silver ones already so I used those

Tools required:
Centre punch 3.2mm
Hammer
Drill
Metal drill bits:
3mm to drill out the donor accelerator pedal rivets
3.5mm to drill holes in the car's accelerator pedal
Pen to mark the accelerator pedal for drilling
Rivet gun (buy a decent quality one! I had problems using a very cheap one I had. I got a draper expert one from toolstation that worked properly)

Accelerator pedal:
You have to remove the metal cover from the accelerator pedal you bought. There are 4x pop rivets that need to be drilled out. Use the 3.2mm centre punch and then drill through the head with a 3mm drill bit.
One the metal cover plate is removed from the pedal, you can go to your car and place it onto the accelerator pedal. Mark up the holes that you need to drill, remove the medal cover and then drill them out with a 3.5mm drill bit. The instructions from the sport pedal installation guide show the process, although the pedal I used only had 4x holes to drill, NOT 6x as shown:

1713652353565.png
Finally, use 3.2mm pop rivets through the holes and it'll look as follows:
J3gHwzQ.jpeg

Brake and clutch pedal:
Remove the rubber cover from the pedal and you should see the pedal has some pre-drilled holes:

Y5Q2oIW.jpeg

All you need to do is place the rubber pad and metal cover on top of the pedal and pop the included rivets into place!

1713652640553.png

Foot rest:

Just put a flat screwdriver or pry tool in behind the footrest and pry it off. The new one just clips into place

1713652693985.png

Finished result (excuse the state of the carpets, I gave them a quick hoover but they need a deep clean!)

tCdFtHo.jpeg

Last edited: