What's new

H3 foglight upgrade to HID's. anyone done it?

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
just wondered if any of you guys had upgraded your front fog lights to HID's?

one of my bulbs has blown and after removing the bumper yesterday to fit dipped beam HID's i think i would like to do the same with my fogs.. i had bought a set of halogen bulbs for the fogs but i got H11 not H3 so they couldnt be done yesterday while it was in bits!!!

my car is the preface lift diesel with the round small fog lights.

also does the bumper have to come off to do the bulb change or can it be done by removing the black surround if i can get that rusty screw out.....?

I tried doing this but there is very limited room and the HID bulbs are too long .. unless you can get short H3 bulbs it won't work

Ok thanks Adam. If I were to just change to brighter halogen bulbs do I need the bumper off?

They seem very awkward to change.....

we took my bumper off to do the HID's and got a rough idea of how it comes apart. do you have to remove the screw at the front of the car that holds the black plastic casing on? if so mine are solid.... and wont budge!!!

On those round fogs on pre-facelift diesels it looks 100% like the plastic cover will come off when the screw is removed Matt. No screws on the oval fogs, so the bumper has to come off for oval fogs.

If you drill the head off the screw, then the plastic cover will open, and then molegrips could be used to unscrew the shaft of the screw. Bring it over if you want.

Once the plastic cover is off, I think the long "Japanese" bolt can be taken out and the fog body should come out.

So I reckon that the round fogs on 7th gen pre-facelift diesels can be fully accessed without bumper removal. Can anyone with a 7th gen pre-facelift diesel confirm or deny this ?

(note that we are not talking oval fogs here)

IIRC this is what i encountered:

1) undo screw on plastic cover
2) your now faced with multiple bigger cross heads, 1 or two of these are for aiming and they would move.. the other two where solid
3) i removed my front bumper and unscrewed the braket from the bumper
4) there is a 'cap' on the lower side of the fog light unit, which can be unscrewed and this is where you will find how to replace the bulb.

its not an easy job and tbh and if your going to give it a go i would remove the bumper and then remove the bracket as this will be a LOT easier than farting about with it fixed in place

Adam, we had a quick look at the fog brackets when we did the HIDs, what you say makes sense.

Definite bumper off again Matt. I'm saying this for you then ....."oh sh---t" :D

ive read that LED H3 will fit but would be pretty much for looks rather than a practical mod.....

can anyone confirm this please?

if halogen are to be fitted would the osram nightbreaker plus be the best option?

matt.

Yes LED's would be for style with limited functionality.
You could get night breakers but you need to ensure that you buy the SHORT H3 Bulb....

you can see here the issue i hit when i tried to do the HID conversion (not my picture!!)
h3.jpg

I just remembered.... try searching for H3C bulbs ;) i think these are much shorter than the standard H3 HID's and are closer to a standard H3 bulb.

it seems that the H3C bulbs are smaller but not by much...

were the H3 HID's you tried too big by a long way? the HC3 seems to be half way between the H3 halogen and H3C HID....

also the H3 and H3C have different connections. the H3 has a single wire and the H3C has a double prong on the end!

there was no hope in hell of getting an h3 hid in there unless you did some major butchery to the housing unfortunately :( .

I would say it was an inch or so too long :(
the connectors isn't a problem anyway

i think ill go for either Osrams H3 or LED's.... i know the LED wont do anything in bad weather but they will be a good match for my LED side lights. the Osrams will work with some effect in bad weather but wont look as good.....

Osrams or LED? has anyone used LED in the fog lights on an 04 diesel, if so how did it go?

IMO led for fogs is a waste of time, nothing but cosmetic difference.

you need some osram night breakers i would imagine.

+1
Filament bulbs make better foglights... the orange/red component to the light is superior for penetration of water vapour

Go for some yellow bulbs, i got a set from halfords for about 20quid, they said off road use only and all that blah blah but when in the heavy rain and fog, i was happy with the result and they looked nice to when running with the 8k HIDs.

tho this was in a civc.....