What's new

Heater directional control

easypops

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi,
I took the radio out yesterday(with great difficulty) and now I can't seem to get the air to flow out the windscreen vents, I've obviously disturbed something while pulling the radio out, the radio and heater controls are connected by a big bracket. I can get my hand in and manually move the offending Bowden cable but still no luck getting windscreen air. Does anyone know what I might have done? I was thinking the small toothed gear at the knob might have jumped a few teeth as it won't go all the way to the left now, but you'd have thought I would have been able to manipulate the cable to change the air flow? Could I have done something at the other end of the cable, where it controls the flaps?
Any ideas woul be a massive help as it's a nightmare trying to get it clear in this weather

Cheers
Martin

Martin,
Have you got the service manual? If not I would suggest downloading it as it shows the various setting up procedures and removal of the air blower set up.

Tony

check mode control adjustment. taken from honda ESM

modeh.jpg

Once again thanks for the replies.
Linas.......great diagram, is this on a programme that widely available?
Tony...... I bought a haynes manual for Honda Accord 1998-2002 but it didn't show my dashdoard/centre console, so not sure whats going on there. Do you have a link to the manual your referring to?

So i got the problem fixed...........what was wrong was the bowden cable sheath had came out of the captive clip at the back of the direction control and it had also came out of the retaining clip under the dash, to the left of the clutch pedal, where it joins onto the linkage at the heater box.........see the diagram Linas put up. Once i took the cable off the bottom peg it was fairly easy to get it seated correctly at the direction control end, then was just a matter of hooking the bottom of the cable over the protruding peg bit on the linkage then pushing the sheathing into the clip beside it........Job Done, very happy :)

Cheers
Martin

yes. Its free and available for everyone.
here is a link http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/Accord/Ab0VE.Honda%20Accord%20ESM%2098-00_CD_ISO.zip
If trying to install under windows 7 check "run as administrator" and compatibility mode with XP sp3 on setup.exe file. ortherwise I believe you would not install it at all (just for win7)

Good job guys, did sound like its a clip that came loose

Tony...... I bought a haynes manual for Honda Accord 1998-2002 but it didn't show my dashdoard/centre console, so not sure whats going on there. Do you have a link to the manual your referring to?

So i got the problem fixed...........what was wrong was the bowden cable sheath had came out of the captive clip at the back of the direction control and it had also came out of the retaining clip under the dash, to the left of the clutch pedal, where it joins onto the linkage at the heater box.........see the diagram Linas put up. Once i took the cable off the bottom peg it was fairly easy to get it seated correctly at the direction control end, then was just a matter of hooking the bottom of the cable over the protruding peg bit on the linkage then pushing the sheathing into the clip beside it........Job Done, very happy :)

Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,

Can I ask where did you get a haynes manual for the car. I believe I am not the only one and am open to correction, who cannot find one for love nor money. There is one for the US model but not the European.

Andy

Hi Andy,
I got it from amazon, although I didn't check where it came from, I just ***umed it was from the uk. And thinking back I'm almost 100% sure it was a uk delivery. Odd thing is though, is that it's a paperback rather than a hardback.
I'll take a photo of it once I'm home and post it up.
I did look on eBay a good few times but they were all covering earlier models.

Cheers
Martin

Hi Andy,
I got it from amazon, although I didn't check where it came from, I just ***umed it was from the uk. And thinking back I'm almost 100% sure it was a uk delivery. Odd thing is though, is that it's a paperback rather than a hardback.
I'll take a photo of it once I'm home and post it up.
I did look on eBay a good few times but they were all covering earlier models.

Cheers
Martin

Cheers
Martin

Hi I have encountered the same exact problem. After replacing the original radio with an aftermarket one, with great difficulty as well, I have found that the heater directional control doesnt work, and neither does the the temperature control either.

could someone please repost image of the diagram Linas posted please, as I'm sure the cables need re-hooking back into position.

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks

If you download the software in post #5 by Linas, that has all the info you will need on the entire car. I think if you search for "check mode control adjustment" you should get the diagram your after.