What's new

Help! Nasty vibration through steering at 60mph

ally

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ivtec
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help, im in the 9th year of ownership of my petrol 2.0 cl7, currently approaching 120k miles.
The other night driving home the car started to tremble/judder violently through the steering as i hit 60mph. This would stop as soon as id take my foot off the the gas.
It was late at night so i pulled over, checked the lug nuts which were all tight and decided to take it to my mechanic in the morning.
He had a look and noticed a tiny bulge on the inside wall of the O/S/F tyre and said he reckons that wont be causing the issue and most likely it will be wheel balancing thats needed. He wasnt able to do this and suggested a local tyre shop. The tyre shop obviously seen the bulge and said new tyre needed, its gonna blow! So, i got a new tyre and both front wheels balanced. Sadly, the issue remained and ive dropped it off at my mechanic this morning with some notes i made as ive spent the whole of yesterday thinking about this.

While driving just over a year ago (7,000 miles ago) the driveshaft snapped and car got towed to my mechanic. He replaced both front driveshafts as the one intact was also looking like it could snap. I remember my mechanic telling me the gear box oil needed topping up slightly due to some loss of oil during the change.
When i got the car back, i noticed a slight vibration, very subtle, between 25-30mph. My mrs couldnt notice it and the mechanic also couldnt pick it up when I took it back for inspection. Ive just lived with it and got used to it now but my gut feeling is whatever the issue is today, once fixed it will also fix that subtle vibration.
Ive also noticed that the gear change has been slightly different in the past week. Its hard to describe this, its not a crunch but just a different type of feeling when changing the gears and only sometimes. Just different from the usual smoothness. Ive just put it down to car being cold and ignored it, didnt seem to serious to cause me concern and im usually onto any slight knocks when they happen.

When ive dropped the car off this morning the mechanic has said it could be the differential after i explained the above?
Im not sure what that is but it sounds like it could be expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Parts and labour that may be involved here?
Anything else it could possibly be?

Im not sure if its worth spending lots on the car or if its time to change it now. The dreaded wheel arch rust is setting in and i need to sort that as well.
Apart from that car is great, always gets what it needs and is looked after just as its looked after me over the years.
Thanks

Thanks, lets see what the garage says. Waiting for the dreaded call

The mechanic has said its definitely wheel balancing. Nothing else is showing issues and they've had it on the motorway as well, starts at 63mph, stops by 70mph.
Strange as i had it balanced yesterday

Thats me just taken the car to another tyre place and got them to balance all 4 wheels. Each wheel needed 25-50 grams of weight, apparently 5grams or more out on a wheel and it would cause noticeable issues.
Back on the road up to 60 mph and its still there. Although, i did notice the passenger seat vibrating alot as well this time. Will need to go back to my mechanic who has already said he cant see anything.
Any other suggestions welcome, he has ruled out the intermediate shaft, did say why but i never took it in

Thanks @F6HAD
Any ideas roughly how many hours labour a indy garage would charge for the work and also approx part price for the intermediate shaft?
Ive got it booked with him again 1st thing Monday as busy over the next few days with family.

The funny thing is, i had it in the same garage a few times a couple of years ago to resolve an intermittent rattling noise. While the car was started and stationery there used to be a rattling which would go away if you lightly pressed on the gas. It also used to kick in if the heating was on and go away if i switched it off. It came from the front of the car and the best way i can describe it is that it was like a loose heat shield. They never found anything that could be causing it and i just lived with it. When the driveshaft snapped the repair got rid of the noise.
Looks like this will also eventually lead to a bigger issue and its no fun not being able to push it past 60mph.

Thanks

It’s a couple of hours of work at most really for a decent garage.

Thanks. Lets see what im quoted.
Il look around for the part cost.

the cost of a genuine honda one was around £500 for mine, i got a Febest one from ebay for £80 and also changed the outer shaft at the same time

A genuine honda one is out of the question then.
Il be sourcing a similiar one online. If anyone has a part number that would be helpful.
Luckily im not in urgent need of replacing it so can shop around.

@F6HAD @Nathjkent
Are you able to help with what i need to order? Im coming across bearings for this intermediate shaft as well so unsure exactly how much i should source. Ive managed to get under the car earlier to see what the part looks like but the picture is too large to attach here. 2006 petrol 2.0 litre

Hey guys,
Finally manged to get some time today and research this further.
Looking at the parts diagram for Honda I found the part number to be 44500SDAA00. When I'm searching for this part, the parts currently available on eBay are missing what looks like a bracket - which I've circled in the diagram.
The pictures on eBay for a Febest intermediate shaft don't have this bit, as in the 'Shaft 2.png'
Looking further into the listing on eBay, the seller lists all of the following as alternative part numbers...

FEBEST : 0312CL7ATRH, AUTO-SPEED PARTS : 3750HO0005, FEBEST : 0312-CL7ATRH, GSP : 201200, HONDA : 44500-SDA-A00, HONDA : 44500-SEA-900, HONDA : 44500-TA0-A00, NTY : NWP-HD-007, ZZVF : ZV310S9A900A, ZZVF : ZVTA51B, HONDA : 44500SDAA00, HONDA : 44500SEA900, HONDA : 44500TA0A00, NTY : NWPHD007

I checked through these and found 44500TA0A00 to include this bracket and the brand is J&R.

Id prefer a Febest as mentioned by @Nathjkent . Any advice would be appreciated as I'm looking to place the order but don't want to buy the J&R branded one as never heard of them.

Or is it just a case of keeping the old bracket and there's bearings in there which are supplied with the new Febest shaft that can be switched over?
Very sorry for my lack of understanding.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• shaft diagram.png
    shaft diagram.png
    148 KB · Views: 12
  • shaft 2.png
    shaft 2.png
    117 KB · Views: 12
  • shaft J & R.png
    shaft J & R.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If anyone could let me know please?
Cars dropped off at the garage this morning for mechanic to diagnose since the balancing was done. I have shared the info from here as well.
Thanks

you reuse the bracket, the new bearing is put inside and held in place with a new clip which is supplied with the kit

Thanks @Nathjkent
Just back from the garage. Mechanic reckons its either the intermediate shaft or a another shaft within the gearbox?! (whatever the hell that is and im not even going to try and guess a price for that lol). Theres no way of him telling for sure until we sort one.
Ive ordered a Febest intermediate shaft off ebay for £80.99.

Sadly, i cant attach a picture as its too large but a bolt on the bottom right of the bracket was missing. I noticed this a while back when inspecting the exhaust at the garage and they stuck another (shankless bolt) in there.
From looking at the parts diagram these look like shank bolts so ive ordered them from HH. £29.30 for 3 bolts (2 at the bottom and 1 at the top) and a oil filter with the Accord forum discount. Made sense to get a filter as well as its free delivery for orders over £25 from them now, used to be £15.

If theres anything else you can think of to keep an eye out for do let me know.

Everything crossed this will fix the issue.
Will keep this updated, expecting deliver thu/fri from Honda so likely get the work done next Monday.
Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like driveshaft issues to me too. Best way to upload photos is to use an image hosting site. I personally use imgur as it’s free and pretty easy to use.

Good shout. I managed to upload the above part diagram and images by snipping them on my laptop screen, these other pictures are on my phone. Another workaround could be to access google photos on my laptop and just snip the images. Just more hassle than using the mobile when away from laptop

When you say outer shaft, do you mean the main drivers side shaft which connects to the intermediate shaft? Do you reckon the splines will be worn?
Both my left and right shafts were replaced about 7k miles ago as one of them snapped.
Really dont want to have to change them again, quite pricey from memory. Cost £500+ to replace both, although they were supplied and fitted by the indy garage. Had no choice, car was towed there by the breakdown service one evening.

yeah i mean the outer shaft that connects to the intermediate shaft, hopefully in your case if its not that old it will be ok, my issue was worn splines where the 2 shafts connect, the slop in that connection was causing vibration

perfect, fingers crossed otherwise it could be further costly.

I've just received the replacement febest part with the car booked in for next week, it was all securely packed and sealed but on opening to check ive noticed the silver rings? on both sides are a bit wonky. See pics. these arent very easy to move either
Is this supposed to be like this? Wondering if i need to return and get a replacement

Attachments

• Driveshaft 1.png
    Driveshaft 1.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Driveshaft 2.png
    Driveshaft 2.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Driveshaft 3.png
    Driveshaft 3.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 10
Just spoke to the shop on eBay. This has definitely been damaged in transit. Ordering another and arranging for a refund on this one. Delays the job further :-(

Driving back home with the family earlier tonight and the 'engine malfunction lamp' came on. That has never ever came on before. Will need to get it into the garage to establish the error code. No issues on the driving side, probably a sensor or the aftermarket Cat i stuck on it last year. Fun and games!
Think the car is trying to tell me something!

Took it in this morning and the car threw up alot of error codes including historical ones. EML has never came on before. Cleared them all and its not came back on.
Just need to drive it and see if it comes back, hoping it wont but I get the feeling it will.
Subject to the intermediate shaft arriving in time its due in on wednesday so hopefully that will fix the vibrations.

Got it in this morning after finally getting the replacement shaft. The issue remains sadly.
The only other thing my mechanic could suggest is to switch the front wheels with the back wheels. Off to try that now...
Otherwise he reckons a primary shaft in the gearbox maybe. Spent quite a bit so far on a new tyre, balancing, intermediate shaft and labour.
If one of the front wheels being buckled has caused this il be raging lol. Surprised despite two wheel balancings its not been picked up if thats the case.
If this resolves it, would leaving the buckled wheel at the back be ok? Last thing i want to do is spend more cash now

Spare is a space saver sadly.
Going to swap the drivers side front with drivers side back and take it for a run and then do the same on the other side if that fails.