What's new

HID KITS - INSTALLATION GUIDE

well I ordered a set of 4300k hid's yesterday so will be using this guide to install them and replace my existing 6000k.

Excellent write up mate! Just received my HID kit this morning and this write up will definitely come in handy when I tackle it this weekend.

Well done and many thanks!! :D

thanks guys. :)

If anyone fancies buying me new weather caps for my lights i will do another write up but routing the wires through the headlamp body ;)

Excellent write up mate! Just received my HID kit this morning and this write up will definitely come in handy when I tackle it this weekend.

Well done and many thanks!! :D
Hiya - who did you order from?

Im looking but not sure whos good and who to avoid.... I want 55W 5000K's.

btw ...followed an Audi A4 home tonite, those lights are stunning! big slabs of white light it was so obvious how awful my dipped beams are!

I converted my dipped beam to HID and didnt bother with the drilling hole in cover process but if you buy the smallest type ballasts they will fit inside the headlight behind the cover giving a more OEM look to the installation.( No ballast on display.
Been working like that since beginning of Sept.
Keith

These were the ones that I bought, with two lumps along the way, to fit inside so you should have no problems with your purchase. All together much neater the way that i have done it also looks less "modded" for the MOT !!
Keith
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280735326900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

These were the ones that I bought, with two lumps along the way, to fit inside so you should have no problems with your purchase. All together much neater the way that i have done it also looks less "modded" for the MOT !!
Keith
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280735326900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Dude you need H1

just re-read the thread and it seems you didn't buy H11's. :lol:

Hiya - who did you order from?
Im looking but not sure whos good and who to avoid.... I want 55W 5000K's.

btw ...followed an Audi A4 home tonite, those lights are stunning! big slabs of white light it was so obvious how awful my dipped beams are!

Hi Paul, I just typed in H1 HID kit on ebay.

Initially got this All in one HID

When I received it, opened it up and looked used! had stains on the bulb and had no case, but plastic foam around the bulbs! returned it, good concept and ballasts can be fitted onto the cap. Downside is if the bulbs go, looks like they the only ones who sell this kind of replacement and charge in the region of £15-£20.

got it exchanged with this Ebay Link

Cannot vouch for the quality as I have yet to fit them in. Got it in the wrong box too.

would I use them again?? Probably NO lol! They dont stock 5000k, so best to type in 5000k with the search.

Hi Paul, I just typed in H1 HID kit on ebay.

Initially got this All in one HID

When I received it, opened it up and looked used! had stains on the bulb and had no case, but plastic foam around the bulbs! returned it, good concept and ballasts can be fitted onto the cap. Downside is if the bulbs go, looks like they the only ones who sell this kind of replacement and charge in the region of £15-£20.

got it exchanged with this Ebay Link

Cannot vouch for the quality as I have yet to fit them in. Got it in the wrong box too.

would I use them again?? Probably NO lol! They dont stock 5000k, so best to type in 5000k with the search.

To be honest that first kit you linked looks very poor quality. The second kit looks much better imo.

To be honest that first kit you linked looks very poor quality. The second kit looks much better imo.

That I can vouch for!! The bulbs were very dirty and immediately contacted seller.

It states that it is in brand-new, unused, unopened. Both were not. The first one is very small and light. You can just drill a hole in the cap and it has a washer to screw in from the inside. But I was not comfortable with the quality and lack of replacements for this, so stuck with what everyone else got. Only positive I can say is next day delivery!

Hey guys,

just to update, I have now fitted my HID lights on and they are amazing!! Followed Adams excellent write up!! Thanks again mate :)

I decided to drop the bumper and take out the headlights too. Lucky for me I did it in the car park at my workplace, where I had access to a workshop full of tools and a pillar drill, made the job so much easier. I ended up using a 22mm cutter, was a snug fit. Location for the ballasts recommended by Adam was perfect.

Though I do need to order a few plastic screw things as they got to the end of me tether!

My only worry is the left bulb seems to be flickering, and when started its purpleish whilst the right is yellowish. Will contact the seller regarding this.

Next.. alloys and lip spoiler :D

Well guys I fitted my HID's in today, 4300k and they do look very OEM indeed. A lot brighter than my 6000k. Just to give you guys an idea I fitted my ballasts under the actual headlamp. Here are a few pics of them fitted under the headlamp:

photopbh.jpg

photo1pt.jpg

Now here is the interesting thing, I was about to install some silica bags within the headlight to reduce condensation but found that they were already installed.Someone in the past must have installed them. I removed the old ones and installed the new ones. I'm thinking that maybe the dealer installed these when they added the revised clips to the headlamp as previous to me the car was owned by a lease company.

There are no wires now showing at all so look very OEM indeed.

Can a slimline ballast not fit inside the light cover itself?

I managed to get one in my golf and there were no exposed wires at all.

Can a slimline ballast not fit inside the light cover itself?

I managed to get one in my golf and there were no exposed wires at all.
No not in my opinion, besides my silica bags are now in there to reduce condensations.

Just a quick heads up.

If you are going to remove your lights CHECK THE SILICONE BAGS inside are not burst before man handling the lights.

When i removed my lights i did not check the bags and they had been positioned so close to the bulbs the bags had holes burnt in to them which resulted in my lenses getting covered in powder when i removed them.

The only way to get it out is to split the light, clean it and reseal it.
Trust me, you don't want to do this.

180395_1887029975027_1219764096_2362214_4829348_n.jpg

166357_1887031575067_1219764096_2362215_6245560_n.jpg

untitled1.jpg

wow, that is bad mate. I'm gonna have a check of mine to make sure they are secured properly but I installed mine at the bottom of the light rather than the side.

Are you going to clean them mate?