What's new

Honda HDS nightmare.

freddofrog said:
I don't think it is a myth, the HDS/HIM clones are only OBD readers with the ability to read the B-CAN, if one tries to write anything to an ECU, one risks bricking the ECU...
But how do you actually know these clones (some? all?) are unreliable when writing?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time Brian, I'm just worried that these myths may have originated from a certain 'Honda-obsessive'!

Jon_G said:
But how do you actually know these clones (some? all?) are unreliable when writing?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time Brian, I'm just worried that these myths may have originated from a certain 'Honda-obsessive'!
IIRC the "myth" is also on this forum, I'm not going to look for the threads, but I'm sure that it has been said here too, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's been said on all Honda forums.

Whenever I use the HDS I get the "feeling" that it's a bit "flaky" . Now something that is "flaky" is fine for reading data, but not for writing data. Plus, it should have the capability of reading any Honda, but a few years ago my eldest son bought a Civic (briefly) which kept doing strange things (which is one of the reasons why he got rid of it). When I plugged in the HDS, I just didn't feel "confident" that the HDS was working properly on that car, yet his ELM327 was ok. Note that this was only a fleeting 5-minute attempt, he had already made his mind up to get rid of the car, and I just wanted to see if the HDS showed anything particular. IIRC the HDS recognised that the car was a Honda Civic, didn't recognise much else, which I put down to the HDS, not the car.

Strangely - despite being fine on my Honda and many other makes - my D900 OBD2 scanner doesn't work on 8th gen Civics.

yep his was an 8th gen Civic, horrible car , no idea why he bought it.

The main issue with these clones is that when you buy one, you're stuck with the hardware and firmware in the HIM, and AFAIK the software version of the HDS that comes with it will only run with that particular HIM. So it will only work with Honda's of a certain era/technology and cannot be upgraded to work with other Honda's.

freddofrog said:
I wouldn't risk an ECU re-write with one of these clones, you could end up bricking the ECU.
I wasn't going to try anything like that, though if I wrote an instruction something that turned the VSA light off say after three seconds of starting the car I would be a happy hamster. :D

It is Matt's tester anyway, on loan so I will not be trying another CD from anywhere, though I will attempt to load up the disc again later.
I succumbed to the - what looks like a disc error - setting up late last night and ordered the other diagnostic machine (Autel 609) before bedtime. Expected on the doorstep early next week.
Cliff/Cliffordski rated this model above the Acura clone so I ***ume he has either got, or used one.

As long as you don't use you to software update, ecu reset and software update it's a great tool at fraction of cost for real hds so let's not start a debate, some people have had success of deleting keys and programming new keys you have to have the right version of hds software

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Channel Hopper said:
if I wrote an instruction something that turned the VSA light off say after three seconds of starting the car I would be a happy hamster.
HDS doesn't "write an instruction" to turn the VSA light off, all it can do is what the SCS does, which is what a paper-clip does ....read the ESM

Channel Hopper said:
ordered the other diagnostic machine (Autel 609) before bedtime. Expected on the doorstep early next week.
Cliff/Cliffordski rated this model above the Acura clone so I ***ume he has either got, or used one.
well good luck with that then because the Autel won't do what the HDS/HIM can do (and that won't help with the VSA fault either)

ask Cliff if he will refund your money ;)

the Autel is no more than an ELM327 (and probably uses that chip) , with some additional features that an expensive app would do (rather than freeware)

freddofrog said:
yep his was an 8th gen Civic, horrible car , no idea why he bought it.

The main issue with these clones is that when you buy one, you're stuck with the hardware and firmware in the HIM, and AFAIK the software version of the HDS that comes with it will only run with that particular HIM. So it will only work with Honda's of a certain era/technology and cannot be upgraded to work with other Honda's.
Agreed you cannot update software inside him

Are we talking about 2 units here ?

honda_saj said:
Are we talking about 2 units here ?
So far he has an ELM327 plus app, now an HDS/HIM on loan, and then an Autel 609 that he's ordered ...oh plus the paper-clip method initially. All this for VSA fault 66 ;)

freddofrog said:
So far he has an ELM327 plus app, now an HDS/HIM on loan, and then an Autel 609 that he's ordered ...oh plus the paper-clip method initially. All this for VSA fault 66 ;)
That's overkill I did mine with hds him unit after replacing calipers rear binding ones I performed neutral procedure and that was gone also sorted out boot

honda_saj said:
That's overkill I did mine with hds him unit after replacing calipers rear binding ones I performed neutral procedure and that was gone also sorted out boot
and that would be the code 84 fault, not the code 66

Here is a hand-held unit that will read some of the Honda B-CAN .... icarsoft i990

£72 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322523172596

Systems supported:
• Honda scan tool can support the following systems:
• PGM_FI
• ABS_VSA
• SRS
• AT
• EPS

freddofrog said:
and that would be the code 84 fault, not the code 66

Here is a hand-held unit that will read some of the Honda B-CAN .... icarsoft i990

£72 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322523172596

Systems supported:

• Honda scan tool can support the following systems:
• PGM_FI
• ABS_VSA
• SRS
• AT
• EPS
Correct I had 84 code nice link thanks for that

I notice that "icarsoft i" (without quotes) in the ebay search box, automatically brings up several variants, and if you select each variant then you find different marques (for each variant and at different ranges of price).

As I keep saying, OBD2 is a global standard for reading the engine ECU only ("P" codes), and if you want to guarantee to read other ECUs on a car, it is highly likely that they are on a proprietary connection (especially if the car was made pre 2008-ish).

Unless an OBD2 reader categorically states that it can read "Honda B-CAN" or "Honda ABS" then it is likely that it will only read "P" codes from a Honda.