What's new

I-CTDi Accord failing to start after timing / oil chain replacement

adamjosey

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th Gen Accord iCTDi
Hi Guys,

I am having issues with getting my 7th Gen I-CTDi Accord to start post a timing chain / oil pump chain change. So basically the car has been off the road since August after the oil pump chain snapped on me at just over 113,240 miles. I had been on Holiday and the car had been sat on the drive way unused for just over 3 weeks. I got approx. 8 miles down the road to work (daily work commute 90 mile round trip) and as I slowed for a junction and started to turn left into the junction the oil pump light came on. Upon seeing the oil light come on I immediately turned the engine off and coasted to a halt on the side of the road. The car had been last serviced 9 months before at 102,072 miles and was due service again in the next couple of weeks (approx. 800 miles).

So before trying to restart the car again, knowing that it is was close to its next service I jumped out and checked the oil level on the dip stick. The oil was quite black and was at the 1/2 full mark on the dip stick. I had a spare 1 litre bottle of top up oil I always carried in the boot, so I put 3/4 of this into the car which brought it back up to the full point on the dip stick. I then got back into the car and restarted the engine, the car fired up straight away but the oil light was still on, I waited approx. 1 minute and then turned the engine off. I then rang the RAC who came out to me extremely quickly.

I described the symptoms to the RAC mechanic who immediately told me that the oil pump chain had more than likely snapped, this was even before he had turned the key or popped the bonnet. He told me it was a common fault with Honda Accords 2004 - 2005 and he had been out to a number of them with this fault. He then proceeded to tell me that there was a Honda warranty on the oil pump chains, this was as long as the car was 7 years old or less / max 125,000 and it had a full service history. However with the car being now over 10 years old it was outside of this warranty. He popped the bonnet and started the car and confirmed that his thoughts were that it was oil pump chain, but to get a garage to double check. He towed the car back to my local garage and I got them to double check the RAC mans conclusion.

The local garage swapped the oil filter for a new one and plug the car into diagnostics and found no faults other than no oil pressure. Then then popped off the oil filter housing cover and found that there was absolutely no flow of oil then then towed the car back to my house and dumped into back on my drive. They then rang me to tell me there findings and said that the cost in labour to repair would be over £1,000 and they could not guarantee the injectors would come out. They basically advised me that the cost in parts and labour would be around what the car was worth (£2,000 - £2,500) and that they were not willing to do it.

I rung up my local Honda dealership who confirmed that due to the age of the car it was outside of the oil pump chain replacement program even though it had a full Honda service history and under the 125,000k mark. Then said that they would be able to help me out on the parts at a much reduced rate but were the cost of labour for them would be over £1,500. They also said they could not guarantee not damaging the injectors on removal. So basically I sat on the car on the drive for a couple of months whilst I decided what the best course of action was. End of November I then made the decision that I would complete the job myself, I am heavily into my Honda CRX's and have a various tools such as engine cranes etc. So I went on the internet and research the best places to get all the parts to complete the oil pump chain change.

I went to Honda and got Timing Chain Kit including all guides, tensioner arm and tensioner and also the Oil Pump Chain Kit including guide, tensioner arm and tensioner for £519 including VAT. They heavily discounted the parts for me, I also got injector gaskets for £23 and new oil filter for £12 including VAT from Honda. I then went on eBay and bought a Diesel Injector Puller Extractor Master Kit for £75 form UK Tools Direct. Loctite Premium Black Silicone Gasket Maker £9.50 for the sump, Loctite RTV 5920 Copper Silicone Gasket Maker £12.99 for the Timing chain cover. To ***ist with the job (absolutely must have) I also got a set of pro aviation extra long FLAT double ring spanner set 8mm to 19mm for £20. All other tools I had myself such as the engine crane, torque wrenches, impact gun etc etc.

I addition to the above I got a friend to get me 10 litres of cheap 0W/30 oil from work to flush my engine out post the timing chain change. I then got 7 litres of Castrol FST A5 0W30 oil and Slick 50 Fully Synthetic Engine Treatment motor oil, this was for when I had completed the first flush of the engine post the job (after my planned 2 hours of idling on the drive way).

So over the course of a couple of weekends I completed the timing chain / oil pump chain swap, it was a bit of a nightmare to complete as Honda had certainly designed every single part on the car to be in the way of another part. In some ways it would of probably of been quicker and easier to of removed the engine, however I got there in the end with plenty of entertainment. The only way to complete the job with the engine in the car was attach it to an engine crane. Drop the subframe on the car by 2 inches all round and removed the rear engine mount, gearbox auxiliary mount and exhaust connection. I then undid the passenger side engine mount slightly to allow easier movement of the engine. Through all of this the drive shafts remained in place. On removal of the side cover I found the Oil Pump Chain snapped and also the Oil Pump chain guide cracked. This confirmed the RAC man diagnosis of what was wrong with the car. I located all of the pieces of metal from the chain and one small piece of plastic in the bottom of the sump.

I used a combination of the Autodata workshop guide and also the Honda workshop guide to complete the job. The only moment I did not follow the work shop guides was when removing the crank pulley bolt, after much struggling I got it off using the "Red Neck" method which worked a treat. I also started lubricating the engine (cheap 0W30) as I put it back together and turned the engine over a few times on the starter motor with the injectors removed and disconnected to get oil around the engine.

Anyway coming to the reason of this post I completed putting the car back together before Xmas making, and everything went back together fine. I then reconnected the battery on the car to discover the alarm system decided it wanted to go off. After much key pressing, locking and unlocking the car the alarm would not stop going off. I then connected my CRX to the car (after some advice from a friend) and left it running with the Accord alarm going off. After about 20 minutes on charge from my CRX the Alarm finally decided to shut up! I then proceed to connect my little diagnostics computer and found 10 DTC faults which I believe were related to me turning the engine over with the injector / fuel system disconnected (I had 10 sensors unplugged off top of engine when turning over to get oil around the engine).

Codes...

P0102 - Honda Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature High Input
P1384 - Glow Plug Circuit Malfunction
P0403 - EGR Valve Circuit
P0098 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 High Input
P0118 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P2017 - IMRC Position
P0108 - Manifold Pressure
P0045 - Turbo Boost Control Circuit
P0193 - Fuel Pressure High Input

I then used my little computer to clear all of the codes and the engine light cleared. I then proceed to try and start the car, the car turns over freely put would not start. I spent a good 30 - 40 minutes with the car connected on jump leads to two other cars trying to get it to start with my dad continuously pump the hand primer. The car carried on turning over freely put but would not fire up at all. I then went through a process of checks, and confirmed that all four injectors were receiving fuel and were all returning fuel. I reconnected my diagnostics computer to find no faults. I then carried on for another couple of hours checking all connections, hand priming the fuel system up and turning it over for it not to fire even once. The only conclusion I have come to is the injectors are not spraying a drop of fuel into the engine, there is absolutely no smell of diesel coming out of the exhaust.

I have then a video of the car etc and posted it on you tube, see this link... https://youtu.be/zvUNqVa3GeE

Has anyone else experienced this issue / problem when doing a chain replacement job? I am at a complete loss to why the car will not start. I have spent a fair amount of £££ getting genuine parts and also a lot of time over the weekends doing the work to get the car back on the road.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received!

Mine took some cranking after it went back together, but only a minute or so.

Did you bleed the fuel filter?

From the codes you had, you may want to check the EGR's not stuck, even if it is blanked off.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply!

I have not tried bleeding the fuel filter and I have not checked the see if the EGR Valve is stuck, but both points make sense and I will investigate next! The car is totally standard and is mechanically unmodified, the only mod I have done to the car is fit the complete 2006 Sat Nav system, HDMI converter and reversing camera. I have not blanked off the EGR and I highly doubt the previous owner did as he was retired.

I have also had a PM suggesting the issue could be pressure on the fuel rail (200 bar required for ECU to activate injectors) and to try using easy start to see if I can get the car at least running briefly on that and perhaps that will start a chain reaction to get the fuel pressure up with a higher RPM.

So next steps I think will be to take the airbox back out (but leave the MASS Flow Sensor connected and somehow in place). Check and clean the EGR valve, I guess electrical cleaner will be fine for that, and then bleed the fuel filter using the top screw and hand primer. I will then try and start the car again with the air filter removed but mass flow sensor still connected. If that does not work then I will try and spray easy start into the inlet and see if I can get it running on that!

My diagnostic computer does not detail fuel pressure sadly, but I may be able to get my hands on a decent diagnostic computer to borrow. I just can't afford to go out and spend more £££'s on more equipment to find what the fault is! Its a bit of a pain living out in the sticks too (Abberley, Worcestershire) so garages around me are small and simple.

I spend most of my time messing about with B series Honda petrol's and this is my first time getting involved with the Honda diesel!

It's difficult to know what's what when you've been confronted with a mountain of fault codes.

Seems these things will run (albeit not ideally) for quite a while with a stick EGR valve, but unplug them and ask them to start again, and they get all upset.

Mine came up with the high fuel pressure when I cranked it, so that side of things may all be well and good.

Once it does fire though, make sure you check for fuel leaks. If the injectors aren't happily seated, it'll pee diesel all along the rocker box valley, down onto the gearbox and make a greasy lake on your drive.
(I removed no. 3 a second time and thought I'd get away without re-annealing the copper washer - no chance)

Hi Matt,

I think the mountain of fault codes I had originally was due to me having 10 of sensors on the top of the engine unplugged whilst turning the engine over on the starter motor. To unable me to fit the oil pump chain I had to remove the actual oil pump which completely drained the oil from the entire engine It meant there was absolutely no oil around the engine. So I decided once I had got the oil pump back on, sump and side timing chain cover I gently lubricated all of parts of the engine I could with the free 0W30 oil and then span it over on the starter motor to get the 750ml - 1 litre of oil that sits in the oil pump back in the system. I was so nervous of the car running without any oil around the oil pump, in particular as the oil pump chain tensioner and timing chain tensioner are oil pressure activated / feed.

Since clearing the ECU no fault codes have reappeared. I will double check the EGR and also bleed the fuel filter however since a further PM from a forum member I think the issue is highly likely to be fuel pressure related. I need to get hold of a decent computer that shows the fuel pressure on the rail. I'm now fearful of possible injector leak back causing the fault.

When originally removing the injectors I took great care and when taking the top of the solenoid off ensured that the small cylinder bearing remained attached to the bottom of the spin top "float". It clearly stated in the instructions for the injector puller kit to be particular careful about this. The injectors came out really easily with only one light knock using the small slider hammer, I was really surprised to how easy they came out. Especially reading so many nightmare stories getting them out.

In terms of reassemble the instructions did not state want torque to retighten the nut on the solenoid when reassembling, so I did each one up to 25nm. I did notice when the injector were apart there was a small spring that sat between the spin top "float" and the solenoid.

I'm just hoping that I have not damaged an injector as I cannot afford to keep throwing more £££ at it to get it going. Especially with Xmas just gone!

Regards

Adam

If you've had the tops off the injectors and one of them's not right, you won't get a peep out of the motor. There's a tiny ball bearing in there, which can easily get displaced or lost.

I had to remove the old ones from my civic motor with the slide hammer, but took the accord ones out whole as they just needed a little wag to shift them, I then swapped the nozzles and worn needles from the bottom without disturbing the top caps.
As far as I'm aware, if you remove the caps, they need to go to a service centre and be recalibrated.

If you swap in a set of different injectors, I believe you'll need the codes on the tops for calibration, but it should run without it done.

In your position, I'd be rifling through YouTube for an injector rebuild guide.

I was quoted £110 plus VAT each to have them done!

Did you sort out the problem?
Isn't it possible to be immobilizer fault (you mentioned problems with alarm initially)

Hi Guys,

First off sorry for the lack of response on this post, I left the car sat on drive way last weekend as I was away, I have started to try and work on it again today.

Since my last post I have got a copy of Torque (Lite) OBD Check to connect to a bluetooth OBD Dongle connected to the car (Lujii HH OBD Advanced OBD Check). I have also got of eBay a Diesel Flow Test Kit for £25.

First off I connected the OBD Dongle and connected it to my partners Hudl running Torque (Lite), I pulled up the fuel pressure gauge and it showed "No Data".

I then tried turning over the car and the fuel pressure gauge still read "No Data".

Next I connected up the Diesel Flow Test kit to the tops of the injectors and disconnected the return line and blocked off the feed.

I turned the engine over (whilst it was connected to two other cars which were running) for approx 1 minute, absolutely no fuel came out of the tops of any of the injectors.

This then lead me down a route of checking to see if what fuel flow I had from the fuel pump.

On the top of the fuel pump, closes to the front of the car, is a rubber hose which leads to a T joint, one side leads to the fuel rail and the other back to the fuel filter. The other pipe is metal and leads off directly to the fuel rail.

First off I tried disconnecting the metal pipe as I though that this was the fuel output from the pump, when turning the engine over very little fuel came out of the pump and a small drip of fuel came out of the pipe from the rail. I then reconnected the metal pipe and tried disconnecting the rubber pipe to see what the fuel flow was like when turning the engine over. When turning the engine over with the rubber pipe removed, fuel absolutely ****ed out of the fuel pump in a near jet spray out, it seemed to be under a lot of pressure.

So at the moment I am a bit lost at what the next steps are!

Matt have I over tightened the tops of the injectors and blocked the fuel going through the injectors on all four?

Japy I don't think it is alarm related as I thought the alarm system cut the fuel pump in the fuel tank? So I should not be seeing fuel coming out of the pump?

JohnH I believe I have got the timing right, I have not tried blowing hot air into the inlet and I think this must be a fuel related issue?

JohnG if you have any more thoughts on this please PM me!!!

adamjosey said:
Japy I don't think it is alarm related as I thought the alarm system cut the fuel pump in the fuel tank? So I should not be seeing fuel coming out of the pump?
Not alarm, iomobilizer which prevents engine starting with no original key . I don't know how imobilizer works, if it controls fuel stop valve somewhere or cuts el. supply for something...
I think it worts to check when you turn the engine if pulses go to injector cable connectors. (if you've got access to any oscilloscope from friend or garage)

Hi Japy, when I put the key in the immobilizer key light on the dash comes on for a few seconds and then goes out. That says to me the immobilizer on the car is deactivating? I have tried starting the car with both keys, and neither get it going.

My thoughts on the problem are now completely fuel related, the fuel pump is re circulating the fuel back through the return back to the tank. No fuel is coming out of the high pressure side of the fuel pump (Metal Pipe side). I doubt it is a faulty pump, but my thinking now is it is either the fuel pressure relief, fuel sensor or a solenoid on the fuel pump which is to blame.

I am in the process today of fault finding, I am going to try the "How to diagnose and replace a faulty over pressure relief valve on a 2006 2.2 I-CTDI" on Civinfo that Jon_G / DeltaPapa sorted.

It is becoming increasing frustrating this issue!

Ok, so completed test and there is no flow from the fuel rail, the pressure release valve past the test.

So this leads me to the fuel pump and fuel pump solenoid.

Next check is to remove the solenoid and see what the position is.

Ok got the solenoid off, its held on by three torq bolts behind the fuel pump. I used the post Jon_G put up regarding solenoid removal.

So once removed you can see into the four holes that the solenoid is closed (silver piston). If you connect it back up but leave the solenoid removed from the housing and then turn the ignition on but do not go as far as starting, the solenoid hums and slightly vibrates at a high frequency for 23 seconds. It then stops and remains closed.

Is this the fuel pressure sensor sending false information back to the ECU or is it the solenoid is broken?

When you had it all in one piece, did you crack the nuts on the pipes at the injectors to see if it'd push fuel that far?

Just seems odd for the pump or solenoid to suddenly stop working in such a manner.

I still reckon it's an injector problem. If they're not opening, they'll never see fuel as they'll never clear the air locks in their lines.

Hi Matt,

So I removed the fuel solenoid again and place a small flat head screw driver in the end, when the ignition is on and for the 23 seconds its vibrates / hums for you can push the screw driver in and out approx 2 or 3mm but as soon as the 23 seconds passes the solenoid stops closed.

I re put it all back together and then tried starting the car, there was no joy, however when I cracked open the nut on the metal pipe running off the fuel pump I now have fuel flowing out that side of the fuel pump (Metal Pipe Side). I then tried using a Bosch hot air gun and blew hot air into the inlet and also tried heating up the inlet manifold. I tried turning the engine over whilst connected up on jumps leads to another car for a good 5 to 10 minutes.

After no joy starting the car I then went down the route of reconnecting the injector test flow kit to see if I had any flow of fuel through the injectors. The last time I tried I had no fuel passing from the rail to the injectors (see earlier post). I connected up the test kit and blocked off the daisy chain fuel pipe which I had removed from the tops of the injectors.

I turned the engine over and for the first 30 seconds loads and loads of air and fuel was spat out the tops of the injectors into the clear pipes. I stopped and re turned the engine over for 30 seconds this cleared the air in the pipes. At this point only fuel was flowing from the tops of the injectors. I then turned the car over for a further 1 - 2 minutes whilst cracking open each one of the metal pipe nuts to ensure all air was out of the system. I then drained the the fuel that had dropped down into the measuring bottles. Now I had fuel flowing from the tops of the injectors I thought I would test the system and look to see if I had any excess fuel flow from one particular injector.

So I did the test three times over a 60 second period of the engine constantly turning over (the car was connected on jump leads to the Ford Mondeo). On all three tests all four injectors passed 25ml of fuel of 60 seconds, there was no difference in fuel passed between either of the injectors. The question I have is 25ml over 60 seconds per injector over excessive?

I have no fault lights coming up and the computer is reading no issues, I still cannot get the Torque (Lite) app to read fuel pressure on the car, so I have no idea what the fuel pressure actually is at the moment on the rail. The Torque (Lite) app allows you to show fuel pressure in KPA but displays the message "NO DATA", I tried connecting the system to a 2010 Ford Mondeo and also a 2014 Juke (Both Diesels) neither of these cars showed fuel pressure and displayed the messages "NO DATA".

I still have no sign of any passed fuel coming out the exhaust, it seems like the system is definitely not opening any of the injectors. I do not know whether or not to just get the car recovered to my local garage and see if a new set of eyes on it can get it going? I am just not winning this one.

What I know now is the fuel pressure release valve is fine and past the test, I also now have fuel passing through the injectors and have also got fuel passing through the high pressure side of the pump.

Should the fuel pump solenoid hum and vibrate for 23 seconds and cut off? is it the fuel solenoid is still not fully opening?

I seem to be generating more and more questions with this issue than answers! And going round and round in circles at the same time!

Not idea about the solenoid, but if it was faulty I'd still expect the car to run, albeit poorly.

The fact that your OBD2's not throwing fault codes for high or low fuel pressure would imply it's doing its job correctly too.

The fuel getting as far as the injectors is good news. No fuel from the injectors into the motor isn't.

The fault's going to lie with a part that's been disturbed during the rebuild, and I reckon it's those injectors as they've had their tops off.

I'd have the injectors put on a test bench and tested if I was in your position.

You only need fuel and compression to get it to fire.

Goodluckmonkey said:
The fault's going to lie with a part that's been disturbed during the rebuild, and I reckon it's those injectors as they've had their tops off.
The injector nozzle holes are very tiny, so this area must not be cleaned when injectors been removed. Isn't they been blocked?

you can send them to mrinjector for test and clean. Give them a call, reasonable prices too.

Hi all, thank you all for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Next step then is the easy start, if the car will run on easy start then it shows the timing is right and the issue is the injectors not opening. I have been very reluctant to use it until now.

I need to know what pressure the rail is getting too, if it's getting up to pressure then it's must be all four injectors are to fault!

I was extremely carefully when I removed them and was so careful when putting them back together. I only gently wiped the body of the injectors down lightly with some soft tissue to get the excess dirty and muck off. I did not touch or mess about with the nozzle end, in particular because of all the horror stories you read about them going Pete Tong.

Where are Mr Injector located? I think I would rather take the injectors down in person for testing!

The bit I don't get, if its an injector issue (all four) why was no fuel getting to them until I removed the fuel pump solenoid and refitted it?

As far as I'm aware, if there's a problem with one injector, it won't operate any of them. Someone on here had a similar problem a few months back.