What's new

Immobiliser indicator (green key) flashing on dash, preventing car starting

beneverard

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 CDTI
Hey folks,

Earlier this year I posted about a glow plug issue, whereby intermittently after turning the key the car would not start, and I noticed the glow plug indicator was not lighting up.

Recently the problem has gotten worse, and it's not intermittent anymore... the car will hardly ever start.

I had taken a punt on the glow plug relay being broken/sticky, but after replacing it the problem persisted.

Then I realised that it's not a glow plug issue, on the dash the green key flashes, indicating that the car cannot recognise the key and therefore won't allow the car to start. I reviewed my video of the dashboard from earlier in the year (when I thought it was a glow plug issue) and the same key indicator was flashing then too.

What's weird is this was at least one point, intermittent, so I don't think the car/key combination has been completely forgotten, it's just struggling to confirm the key.

Has anyone got any thoughts on diagnosing or a fix?

Last edited:
sounds like the immobilizer receiver has left the building. at the very least, it's the easiest gremlin to chase right now
the car will not forget its configuration, the transponder id is unique to your key and the "pairing" is stored in your car's ecm

Thanks for your reply Mike, I'm thinking the same. I've got the steering wheel off, looking around for loose or broken wires but everything I can see so far looks okay, so a unit fault seems to make sense.

I've seen some 2nd hand ecu/barrel (with immob receiver)/key on eBay, might give that a go, as it seems that could be a viable way to correct the issue... right?

I've got to try and fix it, the car is currently wedged in the garage so moving it to be repaired is difficult.

that's a decent find, you should only need the outlined part(the bit with the green connectors) - 39730S2AG01, but the price for a brand new one is a bit steep. it only reads the code in your key's transponder to match it with what is already stored, so no coding necessary, but you may have to clear dtc's
big if, but IF your ecu somehow has lost the immo code, you'll need to make friends with someone who has honda hds/him
hope it's just a parts swap fix, good luck
BO8L4mN.jpg

Ah I understand, then in which case I'm going to give that a go and see if it helps. I thought that the reader was linked too, but as it's just reporting I think this might be it.

Many thanks Mike, I'll report back.

Hi Beneravard, i have the exact same problem as you, did replacing the immobilizer unit solve the problem and if so was it hard to replace it and also did it require reprograming?
Thanks

sounds like the immobilizer receiver has left the building. at the very least, it's the easiest gremlin to chase right now
the car will not forget its configuration, the transponder id is unique to your key and the "pairing" is stored in your car's ecm
Hi Mike Are you still on this forum as need to get your expertise on this issue