What's new

Just had the engine cut out while driving to work. Engine management light and VSA light lit

Bad news guys, really bad news. Drove the car a couple of hundred miles over the last few weeks without any problems. However this morning on the way home, I could feel the car not accelerating as it did in the past. The car felt unresponsive and restricted. I could feel this and eventually it went into limp mode again. So I rang my mechanic, who asked me if I could drop it off as the engine management light was on. I left it for a few hours and went back to pick it up in the afternoon. I was told the diags are showing a few different errors, relating to the throttle body, accelerator peddle sensor and another one which I can't remember. I was asked to either keep and eye on it and drop it off again, when the engine management light came on again. Alternatively I could leave it with them and they will drive it around, to see if they can see a repeat of the error.
I find this quite unsatisfactory, however I don't seem to have much choice really. As the alternative is to go to Honda, and this sounds even less of an option, especially judging by what they had to say the last time I spoke to them. So I'm stuck really, with no satisfactory outcome to this increasingly annoying problem.

Regards

I think the underlying problem has always been your APP sensor. So far as I know, no action has been taken to address this issue?

There is no actual throttle on these engines, so by 'throttle body' I'm ***uming someone is referring to the Intake Manifold Runner Control? I'd ignore that for now... it's a trivial concern and very common.

I wish you has posted the actual error codes that your mechanic is reading, then it would be a lot easier to suggest a course of action. In the absence of this information, all I can suggest is that you obtain and fit a replacement secondhand APP sensor. It's a very easy DIY requiring no special tools. I cannot understand why your mechanic is unable to proceed?

Thanks for the useful info Jon_G, much appreciated. I did pass onto my mechanic what you stated in the earlier post. Where you mentioned that it will most likely happen again, after the ABS sensor was replaced. Now that it has I just want to get to the bottom of this, as it has been going on now for over a month. I just think my mechanic wants to make sure the work carried out is necessary, therefore wants to be 100% sure only the correct diagnosis is made. He has told me, they need the engine management light to come on again, before they can come to a conclusion. Which is why I will most likely drop the car off tomorrow morning, so they can take it for a drive and fingers crossed the fault will show up again. I may even ask him to clean the APPS sensor and see how it goes from there.

You had the APP sensor error code read by the Greenflag mechanic, plus you've found that the problem doesn't happen using cruise control (which bypasses the APP sensor)... everything still points to your problem being the APP sensor.

None of us diagnosing problems remotely can ever be 100% certain (especially as you have not posted the error codes) but I urge you to simply jump in and buy a secondhand sensor from a breaker... loads of these old Accords are being broken and probably have perfectly serviceable APP sensors. Doesn't even have to be a diesel, but I don't think the 2.0 has an APP sensor...

freddofrog said:
...That part number 37971RBB003 on the new one throws up quite a few in ebay, it's the right part number, strange it throws up loads from the US and none in the UK. It's the same part on the 2.2 diesel and 2.4 petrol.

Just to give you all the latest update on this. I have driven the car for the last 3 weeks, covering a couple of hundred miles and everything seems to be fine, with no issues reported. I have also driven the car on the motorway, without using the cruise control and again no issues reported. So in the last 6-7 weeks the car has gone into limp mode just once. Whereas before the ABS sensor was replaced, it was going into limp mode several times a week. So all in all I think it's good news, will just have to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Yes a few bolts to swap out

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Hi guys yes it's me again and unfortunately bad news. As I was driving home yesterday evening the engine management light came on again, just a few miles from home as well. So I parked the car on the hard shoulder and turned the engine on, just the same as every other time this has occurred. As I turned the engine on I heard a grinding noise and I could feel the clutch pedal vibrating under my foot. I instantly knew this was a separate problem from the engine management light issue I was most concerned about. I managed to get home, however the clutch wasn't making things easy.
In the morning I phoned the mechanic and booked the car in for the afternoon. The mechanic checked the code on the reader and agreed with me that the apps sensor could be the issue. He agreed it might be a good idea to swap sensor out and replace it with a used one. With regards to the clutch, he told me it looks like the mass flywheel is on it's way out and I may need a new one with a new clutch as well in the long run, after all it has done 115k miles. So the next step is to try to obtain a used sensor and get it swapped out. But the way the cars driving at the moment, the clutch seems to be more of a problem than the sensor issue.

No point not replacing the clutch if the gearbox is coming out anyway for a new DMF.

You're having a bad run! Let's hope it ends soon. As you say the APS is a very minor issue compared to the transmission.

Just to update you guys, I have some good news in that I have managed to source the pedal sensor from a number of breakers yards across the UK. I didn't really fancy buying a new one for £200 plus. The prices range from between £75-£100, with guarantees of between 1 and 3 months. As long as the specified part number 37971RBB003 is correct, will this definately be the correct part for my car, just want to make sure before I order it.

Don101 said:
Just to update you guys, I have some good news in that I have managed to source the pedal sensor from a number of breakers yards across the UK. I didn't really fancy buying a new one for £200 plus. The prices range from between £75-£100, with guarantees of between 1 and 3 months. As long as the specified part number 37971RBB003 is correct, will this definately be the correct part for my car, just want to make sure before I order it.
Can you take yours to another local Accord owner to test in their vehicle , with a suitable incentive.

Channel Hopper said:
Can you take yours to another local Accord owner to test in their vehicle , with a suitable incentive.
021bd739-21a9-4829-b485-b0fdc1f0625a.jpg

Hi Don101,

Just read the post mate. Feel sorry for you, I know the frustration it causes when you are unable to diagnose the issue on your car especially when you rely on your car a lot on daily basis.

Although it Seems like you are getting somewhere, so fingers crossed mate you get everything sorted and are back on the road driving normally; without having to worry about going into limp mode or anything.

Keep this page updated.

Good luck.

Regards,

MB

Hi guys, just to update you all on the latest. I ordered the APPS sensor from a breakers yard for £75.00 on the Saturday and was hoping to get it fitted the following week. However unfortunately I had a car accident the following Monday, before the part had even arrived. The accident resulted in the car being completely written off and is now on its way to the great big scrapyard in the sky.
So now I have a sensor but no car, LOL. Will most likely put it on eBay, once I've found a replacement car which is my main concern now. I'm looking at 2010 VW Passats, maybe even an 8th gen Accord. Might start a new thread on this in the 8th gen section. BTW thanks for all the help and input provided over the last couple of months.

Oh no, that's a horrible end to this thread! Hope nobody was injured and good luck with finding another Honda (not a VW, LOL).

By the way, TA member f2raf definitely needs a APP sensor. Maybe PM him?

Alternatively, if it was a Buy It Now purchase, you have the statutory 14 day "change your mind" policy and can return it. You don't have to return it within 14 days, just notify the seller that you want to return it within 14 days of receiving it. Just say that you ordered it by mistake and it's unused, you then arrange the return and pay for the return postage.

Jon_G said:
Oh no, that's a horrible end to this thread! Hope nobody was injured and good luck with finding another Honda (not a VW, LOL).

By the way, TA member f2raf definitely needs a APP sensor. Maybe PM him?
Thanks Jon_G for the comments, I will PM f2raf and tbh I'm leaning towards another Accord.

freddofrog said:
Alternatively, if it was a Buy It Now purchase, you have the statutory 14 day "change your mind" policy and can return it. You don't have to return it within 14 days, just notify the seller that you want to return it within 14 days of receiving it. Just say that you ordered it by mistake and it's unused, you then arrange the return and pay for the return postage.
Didn't know about this, thanks for the info. Will wait just to see if the forum member needs it or not.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully no injuries.

Hope all is well just saw lost hopefully another Honda is thrash forward

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk