What's new

LED Bulb Problem

mrbless248

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-CTDi Exec
Hi Guys,

I was in the process of converting all my bulbs to LED when I came across a problem. My when I plug in the led bulbs for my Rear Brake/Tail light it turns on my third brake light in the spoiler....its dull but still on. When I press the brakes both rear brake lights works properly and the third brake light brightens up too but it shouldn't be on constantly. I was thinking maybe I have to load the third brake light (similar to what you have to do with the indicators) but wanted to know if anyone had had this problem and how did they fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I haven't heard this problem before but that sounds like an earth problem

I would start by making sure the connectors are in properly and they are not damp or anything. As Brett as said sounds like an earthing problem.

Was this problem present before the LED conversion?

Also have you put the LED in the right way?

I never had a problem before the LED conversion and they are in the right way as I know that they are polarised. I put the original tail/brake bulbs back in just to see if it made a difference and its all fine. At the mo all the interior light are LED, the fromt side lights and the tail lights but not the brake lights, indicators or fogs.

How can I tell if its a ground problem......and more importantly how can i fix it?

It might be the leds because a few members here has had problems with there sat nav i think but that was indicators thought.to check your earth just trace all cables of your lights and make sure all is sound.I might help to spray with contact cleaner as well

I doubt it's an earthing problem if the normal bulbs are ok, as these would draw more current than LED's. Thus the problem would be more pronounced.

So do you think its the LED bulbs and not an earthing problem, especially as the normal bulbs work fine?

I'm wondering if there is fault with your brake switch. You say that the high level brake lights up slightly as soon as you put the bulb in, without pressing the brakes. This suggests that a circuit is being made.

I'm wondering if there is fault with your brake switch. You say that the high level brake lights up slightly as soon as you put the bulb in, without pressing the brakes. This suggests that a circuit is being made.

Yes thats what happens Rob, but as soon as I put the old bulbs back in all was well. How can I check the brake switch?

Yes thats what happens Rob, but as soon as I put the old bulbs back in all was well. How can I check the brake switch?

From what you describe you have a bad batch of LED bulbs. Where did you source them from? I would be tempted to maybe get a replacement set under the warranty if they offered one. I know the ones I got off ebay which were sourced from China were rubbish in terms of life. They blew after 2 weeks of use. I must of gone through a dozen sets of sidelight bulbs

I too had problems with LED stop/tail bulbs though not the same as you Tony. The problem is detailed elsewhere but basically when I fitted my LEDs the glow plug light would come on. This was diagnosed by a Honda dealer as being a fault with the brake pedal switch. So I replaced this at a cost of over £40 but it didn`t cure the problem, in fact down to my own stupidity fitting this I then had to fork out about £400 replacing my pads and discs all round so I doubt the switch is the problem.

The only thing I could do to fix the problem was to stick with the original filament bulbs and bin the LEDs. I bought mine from the same Ebay dealer as loads of others on this forum but for some reason they just wouldn`t work in my car.

Also after fitting an LED reverse light bulb, whenever I put the car into reverse I would get interference on the satnav screen so that went as well. For some reason my car just doesn`t like certain LEDs. Sidelights and interiors work fine.