What's new

Looking to buy a 2010 Accord Dtec Auto advice needed.

Hi daH22

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve just joined so please forgive me if I’ve posted in the wrong section but I wanted some advice on a car I’m potentially buying.

The car..

2010 Accord diesel EX model with automatic transmission and 138k miles one the clock.

Condition from pics looks ok, sellers somewhat informative and helpful, although there are documents with the car not sure exactly what until he sends me over some pics.

MOT check says mileage tally’s up and never had any major failures, majority straight passes.

Now I did own a 2004 2.2 dtec sport so I am some what familiar with these accords but with the new generation I’m not that familiar with.

I have an idea of how the manuals drive but not the automatics ,so I need help on what I should look out for when testing the automatic transmission, any signs that it’s health or not healthy, and the same with the engine, any signs of a good or bad engine.

I am generally quite good at looking over cars thoroughly but just want a heads up on things to look out for..

I did see a manual version a couple weeks back so I have some idea of what the cars like, but that particular example was a pile of junk ( putting it kindly and seller was a dishonest tool).

So please guys any and all advice would be greatly appreciated and also if the engine and box are good and the car is also, what’s the costs involved to replace a clutch on the automatic version and what’s the service schedule and any preventative maintenance I should do/ consider on the auto box as well as engine and car in general?

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have no experience from either Hondas diesel engines or automatic transmissions, but what I can tell you is that the 8th generation Accord is overall a very reliable car.
A college had 2009 like mine but with aut trans for many years, and I like me he had zero issues with it, I’ve owned mine for almost 12 years btw
As always it depends on how well you take care of your car, also with Hondas however great they are

I don't own a diesel either, but from what i've seen the main issues are related to DPF and EGR (typical diesel problems). The EGR is difficult to replace without removing a lot of components, from what i've read. Most people tend to blank it off and disable it in software rather than try to fix it.

Another common problem is the rear calipers can also stick, and in the worst cases need replacing. Check if they have been replaced previously, and check for uneven brake pad wear at the rear. On my car one side brake pad was down to the metal due to a sticking caliper.

The autos don't have a replaceable clutch as such but they do need a fluid/filter change on a schedule. I can't recall the exact schedule (should be in the manual somewhere) but if it hasn't been done in say the last 60k i'd get it done. I've not heard they are unreliable but walk away if its slipping/struggling at all as that could be an expensive rebuild.

Unless you do a lot of miles though, i'd honestly lean towards a petrol. Fewer problems and (for the time being) no stupid ULEZ zone problems. MPG is obviously worse although not terrible for the kind of car, 35MPG is doable, maybe slightly less on an auto due to 5 gears. They are rarer though.

Last edited:
Scania accord and btjtaylor thank you both for your input and advice it’s highly appreciated.

I would prefer the petrol version if I’m honest but with my budget I’m more likely to get the diesel, and it has to be a EX no compromise as I love the lane ***ist and adaptive cruise as well as leccy heated seats an so on.. again thanks for the advice and hopefully this cars half decent, any big issues and I’ll walk away.

As said, open the bonnet and smell, if it stinks of diesel fumes the egr pipe is split

Mine is a 2.2 automatic (diesel). 85k mileage

The EGR pipe did split but I got the EGR and DPF removed/blanked and coded out. This resolved the issues.

In relation to the gearbox I had a problem with one of the automatic transmission sensors. The part cost approx £60 and it was a simple fix for a experienced mechanic. It sits on the outer housing of the gearbox.

No other issues, but it is heavy on fuel. Ave 22mpg round town. Very comfortable car. Love all the extras. I think I will part with mine soon.