What's new

Lucky Escape

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
I had a very lucky escape earlier on , I was driving round a roundabout about 10 - 15 mph then bang the bottom ball joint broke tucked the wheel under the wing and popped the driveshaft out , its bent the wing in and the driveshaft looks broken , the bottom ball joint's completely popped out of its socket , what a nightmare it was to get the car on and off the recovery truck like this , very lucky I was going slow I wouldn't like to think of what would happened it it had been a fast bend or roundabout , early start in the morning trying to get the car back on the road :(

Very lucky mate, didn't you press a new one in ages ago or was it genuine honda.
I remember it happening to Waj was going a fair bit faster too.

This happened to me december last year, drivers side went whilst turning a corner, ended up needing a new drive shaft, new wing and two new ball joints. Really makes you jump when it goes lol.

Believe it or not is was one of the original ball joints , it was the wifes car where I had a new one pressed in

wow lucky escape Gaz, that must of seriously shook you up. Similar thing happened to my brother, he was driving slow and his spring snapped causing the front drivers side to drop down.

Glad you escaped unharmed mate.

Jeez that sounds bad!

I had a very lucky escape earlier on , I was driving round a roundabout about 10 - 15 mph then bang the bottom ball joint broke tucked the wheel under the wing and popped the driveshaft out , its bent the wing in and the driveshaft looks broken , the bottom ball joint's completely popped out of its socket , what a nightmare it was to get the car on and off the recovery truck like this , very lucky I was going slow I wouldn't like to think of what would happened it it had been a fast bend or roundabout , early start in the morning trying to get the car back on the road :(
That is indeed a lucky escape. In hindsight was there any warning signs prior to this, i.e wobbling, knocking or creaking sounds??

Glad your ok Gaz and no one was hurt.

All fixed now , well need to get a front wing from a breakers in the future hopefully same colour match but it will be okay for now just bent it back into shape , I hit a pot hole about 3 weeks ago but everything seemed okay but last night when driving it felt like I had a flat tyre on my drivers side as it was slightly pulling to the right especially when braking , checked tyre and was okay then about 15 miles later disaster , took it all apart this morning , fitted driveshaft from a breaker car and knocked out the old ball joint casing and repressed a new one in the hub all okay , just lucky I wasn't going at speed or I may not be typing this now.

the exact same thing happend to me last thurs! :|

luckily i too was going at relatively slow speed (25mph) in a straight line and no other car was around me (very very lucky) i was travelling at speed during the day too!. I was experiencing some loud squeaking and if i would go over a speed bump the noise would go away for a while, i put it down to a worn bush so i was on my way home to sort it out the next day and BOOM it collapsed.

a scary experience but worrying that others have had the same problem.

i have ordered front wishbones for both sides to be safe, ball joints both sides and now looking for a cheap passenger drivehaft (only replaced that 6 months ago :|)

Blimey. This is both frightening and it seems fairly common. You all seem to be Diesel guys though. Is this just a diesel thing, mybe due to the extra torque and the ball joint prematurely wearing out, or would the petrol be just as susceptible to this?