What's new

MAF cleaner vs electrical cleaner

Quirrel

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 Accord Estate
Is MAF cleaner any different t Maplin's PCB or electronic cleaning spray?

It's £4 for Maplin or £10 for a can of MAF cleaner.

No idea, but at £6 difference is it worth the gamble on such an expensive part?

just use carb cleaner. electrical contact cleaner can leave a residue so I would avoid that.

Give it a spray them rinse gently with warm water and let it dry. DO NOT TOUCH THE METAL ELEMENT with anything. don't use a cotton bud on it like some places recommend.

spray it, rinse it, dry it and put it back on.

you can get carb cleaner in Halfords for about 5 quid a can.

Water on a MAF? Neil come on man!

Guys just use the recomended stuff and you can't go wrong

Water on a MAF? Neil come on man!

:) seriously dude. I did on two 156's I owned. they are notorious for getting filthy MAF's. it works a treat.

I used to remove the sensor from the housing and spray it with carb cleaner them rinse it with warm water then dry it with other halfs hairdryer. it works a charm.
one of my Alfas was a sellespeed with a semi automatic gearbox and if the MAF war telling lies it would play merry hell with the gear change.

infact a failing MAF is so common on 156's this method is a DIY on the Alfa forum.

trust me.

you need to remove any residue left behind by and cleaners you use otherwise you can end up with a worse MAF than you started off with.

I know it sounds drastic but it really does work.

or you could just use the recommended stuff like Brett says and remove any doubt you may have.

after all its only 6 quid lol.

LOL is there an echo in here :rolleyes:

I'm positive

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electronic-solvent-cleaner-30056

Is what they are using in MAF cleaner, but charging twice as much for it.

You might be right and it is the same stuff.
But for a couple of pounds noing how sensitive the maf sensor is I wouldent risk it.

ive used brake cleaner for years and never had a problem on this sort of stuff infact ive used it on my accords MAF and MAP sensors with no problem you can buy small spray cans of it from some motor factors.