What's new

MOT Crap

stellamon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i-DTEC
Had my yearly MOT done last week, car passed with no advisory's even though it was the same garage that last year flagged up rust on a rear subframe.
Had this before, some garages will pick the smallest faults, it is utterly ridiculous the amount of advisories at the hands of the testers.
Like a slightly misting shock absorber, or headlights fading which I can understand, just need polishing up.

It’s really down to the tester on the day and which side of bed they woke up on that morning.

Which side of the bed and how hot their lunch was !
Had some testers miss some utterly insane things - Peugeot 206 with both rear axle bearings away. Wheels out at an angle with sideways movement in both trailing arms. Passed with that, no advisory.
I'd rather have someone picky than someone inattentive sometimes. There's enough dangerous cars on the road as it is!

Lets hope for many more years of passed MOT's ahead

I know how you feel, I had an advisory this year because my sill is slightly dented (looks like someone jacking it up in the wrong place) because of the proximity to the suspension, whilst it is technically correct it seemed very pedantic

Also had wrong mileage recorded once before which luckily I spotted at the time and got sorted - I think you have to do it within a short time limit afterwards so I always check - if you don't it can cause problems in the future if you sell and someone does an HPI check and it will come up with a warning about a "mileage discrepancy"

Not just that though, it can affect the sale price at the end of the day, people see these advisories and it puts them off,
lowers the price.

If the advisories are there they need to be done, the mot history check online is a fantastic way of seeing how well a car has been looked after by its previous owners.
the amount of times we fail a car on things that have been advise 2,3 even 4 year in a row and the customers are still surprised its failed lmao.

I agree, I do it myself if I'm interested in a vehicle.

But some of these things seem a tad petty:

• Offside Rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
  • exhaust system slightly corroded + flexi mesh damaged
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Nearside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Offside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Nearside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Offside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Nearside Rear Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)
  • Offside Rear Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)