What's new

MP3 player aux connection

Yes the tyre level should work or a plastic kitchen spatular may help. Good luck

You need to start by taking the gearlever surround off (pull by putting your fingers into the gaitor and lift straight up), disconnect the heated seat switches and unscrew the lever itself.
Next up is the ashtray section. there are 2 screws, one at either side (left/right). Remove the ashtray itself by pulling it out - you should see 1 additional screw to remove here, right in the middle. (best to have a magnetized screwdriver)

The next step is where I think you are now... you need to remove the trim that surrounds the pocket/dvd drive/flap before you can remove said items and get to the bottom of the stereo. Start to pull gently from the bottom - there are 4? clips I think that need to pop out. 2 right at the top. You'll think it's going to bend and break, but as long as you're gentle and take your time it should just pop out without any issue.

Get a trim tool if you can and just prise is gently whereever you can get access to it... Once you've had it off the first time, you'll understand where it clips in, so the next time you have to do it, it'll take 2 seconds!! :)

Once that piece is off, you'll see 4 screws/nuts that you need to remove to get full access to the underneath of the stereo.

Good luck!!

mattster said:
Arrived this morning - fitted within half an hour and working very well! :)

Definitely worth the money compared with the other ones that do the same job for 3 times the price.

This is the link to the one I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-USB-Aux-in-Adapter-Radio-Interface-for-Honda-Accord-Civic-Odyssey-S2000-/141466696032?

My Accord is an 04 exec without Nav. CD changer port is on the bottom of the headunit, access by removing the ashtray and pocket (where the dvd drive is on nav-equipped cars)

I'm away now to stick my music collection onto usb sticks!
Hi Mattster

Are you still satisfied with your purchase ?

I am considering buying one too.

This one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-USB-Aux-in-Adapter-Radio-Interface-for-Honda-Accord-Civic-Odyssey-S2000-/141466696032?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20f0127960)

I have the satnat system on my accord. I'm wondering how it will word on it.

If anyone have some feedback, it would be great!

I grabbed a cheapo from ebay and watched a youtube video. Just make sure you have you cable ties so you can zip the cable and box out if the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removed the middle sections of the dash, finally. Will update later on that, just in case it's helpful to anyone else (or the YT vids disappear).

The ebay version of the MP3 connector (listed above) seems very good. Had it plugged in last Sunday night and it worked well. Only down side so far, is some electrical interference noise; it's only a cheap Chinese unit and I guess the inbuilt suppressor circuit isn't enough to combat all the Honda's electronics. It was night driving in the rain, with lights, air con/heater, wipers etc all going, so it's not a huge issue. Certainly, the next morning, with very little turned on, I didn't notice anything. For anyone who remembers the problem of radios & suppressors in the 70s/80s, it's not a massive issue and in the long run, is a small price to pay for clearer sound and not having to keep retuning on a long trip - which I do twice weekly.

I've not tried the USB connection yet and haven't even put the centre of the dash back on yet, so once I'm satisfied that all's good, I'll take some wiring tips from above, get it finished off and enjoy.
I'll also update with any observations on the unit/USB (and the double SD/micro SD USB card reader that they supply). I'm curious as to how you control that and change from folder to folder, or from card to card (if you have 2, 3 or 4 fitted). Anyone tried that yet?

Thanks for the hints and pointers along the way. :)

I found it pretty good too, if my phones plugged in and i drive out in to the country and lose signal you get the "dah dah dah" noise we're all familiar with, i just flick it to airplane mode. But otherwise i've got no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchHonda said:
Hi Mattster

Are you still satisfied with your purchase ?

I am considering buying one too.

This one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-USB-Aux-in-Adapter-Radio-Interface-for-Honda-Accord-Civic-Odyssey-S2000-/141466696032?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20f0127960)

I have the satnat system on my accord. I'm wondering how it will word on it.

If anyone have some feedback, it would be great!
in a word, yes! :)

It still works perfectly well for the money paid. As mentioned above, you do sometimes get some electrical interference, but it's only seems to be occasional.

Ok, I've just bought one. I'll give some feedback as soon as I have received it and installed it.

With the ebay aux adapter I've fitted, electrical interference seems to be fairly constant. Having lived with that noise previously (on older cars, in decades past) and bearing in mind that it's only noticeable on quiet tracks, it's not a deal breaker. I've emailed the company to see if they respond.

Also, it's not a very loud unit. The music system in the Honda is the best I've ever had (including after market upgrades) and I'm still using it on 65-100% volume. My phone isn't noise limiting, before anyone suggests that. And I'm not deaf :wacko:

One other thing, someone might have suggested that using one of these means that you lose one of your output options (radio/CD) but you don't. I still have radio and CD, as well as aux. Haven't had chance to test the USB connection yet, with the memory card reader that they supply, but hopefully will do in the next few weeks.

daidaidai said:
With the ebay aux adapter I've fitted, electrical interference seems to be fairly constant. Having lived with that noise previously (on older cars, in decades past) and bearing in mind that it's only noticeable on quiet tracks, it's not a deal breaker. I've emailed the company to see if they respond.

Also, it's not a very loud unit. The music system in the Honda is the best I've ever had (including after market upgrades) and I'm still using it on 65-100% volume. My phone isn't noise limiting, before anyone suggests that. And I'm not deaf :wacko:

One other thing, someone might have suggested that using one of these means that you lose one of your output options (radio/CD) but you don't. I still have radio and CD, as well as aux. Haven't had chance to test the USB connection yet, with the memory card reader that they supply, but hopefully will do in the next few weeks.
Is it the one from ebay? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-USB-Aux-in-Adapter-Radio-Interface-for-Honda-Accord-Civic-Odyssey-S2000-/141466696032?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20f0127960

I thought it would have a little pre-amplifier which would make the strengh of the source a little stronger. If not, it's ok, I'll live with it considering it's quite cheap.

Do you have the satnav system? It's nice if you still can use the cd player! I hope it'll do the same on mine. I still haven't received the adapter.

The device that you will attach as additional, it will be connected to the AUX input. However it will be treated as CDC, which is short for Compact Disc Changer, which is not the stock 6CD-changer or ordinary CD. In conclusion, both can be used with the CD/AUX toggle button.

> FrenchHonda
No satnav, thankfully - I never like the inbuilt ones, they're a ***** when they need attention. And expensive when they need updating. Or perhaps that's just Mercedes.
The volume is quite adequate. I just like to crank it up sometimes. Let's face it, it also depends on the recording level of your music source. I think that the audio converter (freac) that I use, has the ability to adjust levels when converting files or ripping from CD. Either it's a case of re-convert all my CDs/downloads, or buy a cheapish (£20-30) headphone amp. Or just accept that I won't be turning it up to 11, anytime soon.

> crown_bg (interesting name, Mr Bowling Green)
Exactly, thanks for the confirmation.

I'm curious to try out the USB connection, as I'm interested to see what the maximum capacity (in GB) or maximum number of tracks/folders, it will support. Anyone got any idea?

Usually these are not known to support a lot of folders and not even many tracks in each folder. They even have limitation to the bitrate of the MP3, which is not such an issue as CD quality starts from a bitrate of 96-112.
Some of these have a particular pattern of folder naming so the USB can read the folders/tracks.
All this info I do not have from my own experience, but I rather gathered it from other forums.

daidaidai said:
I'm curious to try out the USB connection, as I'm interested to see what the maximum capacity (in GB) or maximum number of tracks/folders, it will support. Anyone got any idea?
I've been using it fine with a 16Gb and 32Gb sticks.

Main limitation appears to be that it can only read 100 folders (root + 99 additional). Not sure how many files can be in each folder...

To be fair though, that's still a lot of music to get through!! :)

I have just installed mine.

It works fine although there are some interferences: I can sometimes hear the sound of the engine buzzing in the speakers. But it is not really annoying.

I am quite pleased to see that I can still use the CD player.

I haven't noticed a big difference in the sounf level. Compared to the CD level, it might be a little lower.

For 20 pounds, it is not a bad purchase (for now!).

For mine, the volume with the adaptor is about half that of the CD or radio. I must remember to turn the Traffic off, as it gives me a minor heart attack when the radio kicks in with a bulletin. It's just about loud enough and I can probably re-edit the MP3s to have a louder sound level, if I'm that bothered. Or buy a mini amp.

Bottom line is, it does the job admirably, for those of us that aren't too fussy about a little hiss and pop.

On my grom audio I sometimes have to turn the stereo off and on to get full volume. I have no idea why

Check the firmware and the settings for USB. You can upgrade/downgrade firmware and change settings for USB, like volume, playback, shuffle and so on.

i have just a std set up aux lead from stereo plugged into my iphone but am getting engine clicking noise how do i get rid ??
thanks

mine just plugs into bottom of stereo and a 3.5 aux plugs into my iphone
i am now trying to use bluetooth which works fine no hissing unless the bluetooth unit is charging up
so is there any cure for the engine inferenced ?

chew said:
I got mine from carputershop so I can recommend them to anyone they were really helpful and it turned up within 2 days. I thought about getting the Bluetooth one but the reviews for the ap needed to use it were not great so I just got the basic 3.5 mm aux input and added a remote to it to skip tracks.
They have certainly gone downhill since you bought yours then... Because as far as I'm concerned they are a bunch of low life theiving c*nts... They know absolutely nothing about the grom audio kit and it's problems, and will do everything they can to avoid replacing faulty items or giving back refunds.

They demanded an extra £100 retainer to replace everything because they had no clue what was faulty... and they kicker was it would be refunded if faulty... Which means that they can turn around and say it's not faulty and steal that extra £100 they demand.

They also trade under the name Mannocks Ltd... avoid this cowboy outfit of ignorant, thieving c*nts.

I had to contact grom themselves in the USA for help and told them all about their UK reseller, advising them to find another. Grom themselves were very helpful and even sent me a new harness from California (5000 miles away) for free when Mannocks couldn't even be bothered to send one 60 miles unless I paid them up front for it.

They wouldn't even answer emails about all the issues I had until I opened a dispute with paypal... and then it took 2 months before paypal finally found in my favour because of their lies and attempts to stall the complaint.

Grom in the US on the other hand are very helpful and although I had to return mine because of the faults it had it was a nice bit of kit that was simply faulty... when it worked it was great, and I've gone into great depth about it's faults and flaws that could be addressed with Grom themselves... many of which could be addressed with a firmware/software update of the unit and the app. But because of mannocks behaviour... I refuse to buy another now and will be looking at alternatives... which seem limited due to the fact I have an EX with satnav and most solutions are only for the lower spec/quality system.

So if you get one... get it from Grom themselves and only deal with them instead of a bunch of lying, thieving c*nts that are carputer-shop.co.uk (Mannocks Ltd)

Well said. Don't know them, but we have same type of resellers here, most if which are not customer oriented, and more are not technical people, so they cannot troubleshoot at all. This means they need to use 3rd party service for which they have to pay, so they charge you for that what they should pay. One once said it in a movie "an 'orrible c*nt".

Just to add an update to my in car entertainment situation....
Having now moved to a phone without a headphone socket, and using Apple Music instead of proper mp3's, I was finding the USB option very limiting, so I invested in this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bluetooth-Handsfree-USB-MP3-CD-Changer-Adapter-Honda-Accord-Civic-2003-2011/222346535293?
£52 all in, simple to setup using the CD changer port and provides USB access, aux in access, bluetooth streaming and calls. Very pleased with it!

Incase it helps anyone looking for an even cheaper in-car bluetooth option, I bought one of these earlier in the year:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-A2DP-Music-Receiver-Audio-Adapter-For-iPod-iPhone-30Pin-Dock-Speaker-/322050503834?hash=item4afbb4b49a

Initially used to stream music to an old Bose iphone dock, i also discovered that when connected to the official Honda iphone/ipod (30 pin) connector attached to the wife's CRV's stereo, it also allows streaming in her car. for £5!! Perfect :)

Matt.

As said before... 99% of these units DO NOT support any car with the Navigation system fitted... only the lower spec units... and you can pick up those for the lower spec units for less than £20 on ebay.

Those of us with Navi units are screwed basically.