What's new

My Car this morning has shed its oil from the engine

whereami

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S 04
I know of two reasons a car could shed oil, 1) oil filter has come loose and 2) the sump has been damaged. Anyone else got any ideas? I do not remember grounding the car out on anything and it was fine when I took it for a drive on friday. no signs of oil being leaked.......

thanks Rob

I put my hand down the back of the engine and could grab the oil filter, oil residue was on there, wet and fresh. Any ideas?

Hi Rob

Yes, an oil filter could fail and leak - but wouldn't this be obvious?

My guesses... Cam cover gasket leaking? Oil pressure switch/sensor leaking? Sump plug loose (or sealing washer leaking)?

How much oil do you reckon you've lost?

i have lost alot today. the dip stick is dry. I have only done 1mile today before i saw the oil. so I can stick some oil in it tomorrow and run it up to my local garage which is 1 mile away and let them look at it. something has failed, sadly I cant get it high enough to climb under to look properly

Fingers crossed that it's something simple and cheap!

Might just be a loose oil filter... but get a new one and a fresh oil top-up so at least it'll count as an oil change service!

Let us know the outcome.

i have lost alot today. the dip stick is dry. I have only done 1mile today before i saw the oil. so I can stick some oil in it tomorrow and run it up to my local garage which is 1 mile away and let them look at it. something has failed, sadly I cant get it high enough to climb under to look properly

What an absolute *&%$£"!!!!!! If it is of any use, my was serviced 3wks ago and the main agent noticed that there was oil around the sump / gearbox....initial thoughts were a leaking seal....Ouch I thought, as to replace that seal would involve the gearbox out = much pennies!!!!! Any how they cleaned it all up, and it went back for an inspection on friday. Luckily all clear. Agent does want to keep close eye on whether there is an underlying problem so I am not too worried at mo. Hope you get your car sorted soon and the fix isn't too expensive!!

Oh my, a 7th gen 2.4 leaking oil? Good luck with this mate, I know you'll keep us updated.

Rob this will be a seal that have gone or the oil filter leaking.
Clean the engine up and run the car on a ramp to determine where the leak is coming from its the only way mate.
Hopefully this will be an easy fix.

Its fixed now. The problem was the oil filter spilt down the weld!!!! So be warned..............This can happen, Might be wise to religiously change the oil filter every 6,000 miles to prevent this from happening again.

Good news;)

It is good news, But inside im slightly miffed because I could of fixed this for half the price lol :lol: but if it had been a bigger job I would of been screwed :D

Glad to hear it mate. Was it a stock Honda Filter?

Glad to hear it mate. Was it a stock Honda Filter?
the first one wasn't?? actually im not sure if this one is either..........DOH! I know they put the right oil in because I stressed how important it is.but the filter i dont know, DOes it matter on oil filters? I know the fuel filter is a must ;)

I dunno man, was just wondering. I only get mine serviced at Honda so ***ume the right parts are going in. If you're getting an indi do it, it might be worth getting the necessary filters and fluids from HH prior to a service. You never know. A lot of issues on the forum stem from people using non-Honda filters/fluids. Can't hurt to go with manufacturer recommendations.

Well The garage I use is a brilliant one, been going for years and they are a family team. Country Motors of Axminster for anyone interested, but Like you say steve I will in future buy in the parts for a service from HH

The filters on petrol car are not as fussy as diesel cars Rob.But i would always recommend OEM parts as this probably would not have happened.Glad its sorted though mate.

Its fixed now. The problem was the oil filter spilt down the weld!!!! So be warned..............This can happen, Might be wise to religiously change the oil filter every 6,000 miles to prevent this from happening again.

Glad to hear problem sorted....good job you were not facing a seized engine because of the defective filter!!!

Lucky really could of been something worse!

In regards to filter on your next change/6months I would swap it for honda they're filter design is superior to your average motor factor ones.

If you do interval oil changes between normal services, I normally stock up on a couple at a time.