What's new

MY first accord - are there any danger signs?

I think i'd go for it. Don't worry too much about the consuption. You're getting a lot of car and peace of mind for sod all money. You should see about 350 miles to a full tank. But it depends on how you drive. I get more than that out of my ATR.
Saaay WHAAA?
You get more than 41mpg from the ATR?

Exactly! 200 miles to a £75 tank if I'm lucky.

I saw well over 300 when I drove to NI, but that was constant, a good mix of roads but lots of motorway and little or no vtec.

Short trips of town driving and local country roads sees me 200 miles a tank almost guaranteed :(

Yeah I reckon it'll get to 350 for a tank full.....in my old car that would last weeks. However, I love driving this car. Any excuse and I'm in it. I take detours to shops....love it!! I can see it costing me a fortune....

I can hit over 350 miles to a tank everytime. Seriously.

The Accord should be able to get over 400 miles to a tank with "normal" driving, i.e not thrashing it everywhere but not driving miss daisy either.

400 miles to a full tank only works out at 30mpg, easily achievable.

lol....shiny i love that subtle push you get when the vtec starts to work.

So - this thread is becoming like a blog! But car went to garage today and they did the water test. Apparently it was coming in through both light clusters. So they've now been sealed (I think siliconed on to the car). Just given it a wash as the rain brought in what looks like chalk, and I've checked the boot - no leaks!! Awesome. Lets hope it hold.

One thing that I am confused about. I ordered a replacement bung for the boot. I didn't get the rubber one as expected, I've got an aluminium one. I questioned it and got someone out to check the car. He thinks it will be ok to silicone this aluminium plug in to the boot (this was a honda guy speaking). The hole in front of the bolt for the spare wheel is "non-functional", probably a result of the manufacturing process.

Would this be ok to do in the opinion of readers of this forum?

I don't see it being a problem Adam.

I just have to add that the little 'push' you get when Vtec starts on the F series, is nothing like the big push you get on the H series :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi all,

I did warn in my intro that i'm pretty rubbish with cars!

Keep a long story short - after numerous trips back to the dealer with the leaking boot, I'm now going to do it myself.
I've posted in another thread about getting the parts - that boot seal looks like it has to be an item direct from the dealer.

Anyway - I'm going to service it. Looking at the history of the car I need a level 1 service and a gear box oil change. The local honda dealer want to charge £250 for this. Looking at the service script for what a level 1 is, am I wrong in thinking it's purely an oil and oil filter change + a load of visual checks? That seems a lot for £149.

So I have decided to go to a local independant. It's a bit of a shame as the book is fully stamped with Honda.....but it's 10 years old now, I'm going to have it a few years at least. So will not having a honda stamp in 4 years time make a difference? I doubt it.

As I'm off to the independant - do they need to use specific oils? I'd read on Honda that they recommend their own oil - or is this just marketing hype again?

Glad you posted this here Adam.

Right, firstly you don't need to use Honda specific engine oil. Just make sure that it's 10-40W FULLY SYNTHETIC. That's all. :D For the gearbox oil i'd only recommend genuine Honda oil though. As for the filters, a Hamp filter will actually do just as good a job as the genuine Honda one. Please don't use pattern parts on the 6th. Especially as you're planning on keeping the car for a while.

You're not worng with what the level 1 serivce is. I'm a little fussy with my car though, so my version of a level 1 serivce is

1 - engine oil
2 - oil filter
3 - fuel filter
4 - coolant
5 - check boots, brakes, disks, pads, lines, and EVERY grommet.
6 - droplinks

Level 2 borders on the obsesive though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anywho, i hope this helps you out a little dude. If you buy the parts from somewhere like Holdcroft Honda though, then take them to you're trusted indipendant mechanic then you'll save youself even more money that by taking the car to a dealer.

Let me know if you need anymore info dude.

Si,

P.S I've replied to your other thread too. :D

I got my 2.0 SE a week ago and love it already, alot more fun than my E36! But Si is right, my neighbour has an ATR rollered at 225bhp, same colour as mine too! Lol mine is the 'baby' accord. Anyways I thought VTEC was quite good in mine, but he took me for a blast in his the other day and oh god! It's like a completely different car! That .2 of a litre and 80bhp more makes for a massive difference, I'm now already on the look out for a donor ATR so I can have the engine and all the goodies (some may be thinking, why not just insure the ATR? Well my 2.0 is £900 a year to insure, as a 20 yr old male, the ATR is nearly 4k!! BUT listing the 2.0 with the conversion etc only goes up by £200 :D)