What's new

My new JDM Gen 8 Accord CW2 2.4 Type S and specifically how to upgrade the head unit.

BooBoo

Reaction score
Car
JDM Accord Type S
I thought I would start a new thread regarding updating the ICE in specifically JDM cars. With more and more imports now being advertised I’m guessing many new owners like me would like to update the original JDM unit.

Accord resized 500.jpg

Forgive me if my terminology is incorrect as my auto audio knowledge is not great:rolleyes:

My newly aquired car is a 2011 CW2 Type S and comes with a Japanese market ONLY head unit with SATNAV and reversing camera. The central head unit is similar to the UK premium type with the upper strip displaying aircon as well as time and audio option info. My system is not powered, and is not labelled 'Premium Sound System' that UK top spec cars come with, so the SATNAV HDD unit at the bottom is a single disc only and not a 6-disc changer. Mine came with an aftermarket ‘radar unit’ retro fitted and connected to the OBD port which also can display a comprehensive amount of engine management info. It is nicely fixed onto the top dash above the driver’s side vent.

Accord head unit resized 500.jpg

I have had the speedo converted to MPH by the UK importer but average fuel economy on the main display still reads in KM/L. The actual radar only seems to warn of UK Pedestrian crossing lights, and I have selected both fuel economy and oil temp info on the radar screen display. The fuel economy figure given here is more accurate and matches the real-world figures that I am getting.

In the central cubby box, I have a power socket, a USB (comes with an adapter from the strange looking JDM socket) and female red, yellow, and white video and audio sockets. I don’t have an actual AUX socket, but an IPOD will connect via the USB adapter and will play through the system when the AUX option on the head unit is selected. A USB stick of music will play OK in the same way. Streaming music from my Android phone however DOES NOT play through this USB connection. No option for Audio is given on my phone. The SATNAV screen also plays DVDs via the single slot.

My vehicle came with the original JDM handbooks so with the aid of Google camera translate I have managed to successfully hook up my phone for BT handsfree. The original unit only picks up FM Radio 2 and a few AM stations.

So, what’s the car like? This is only my second Honda, my first being an early 90’s Aerodeck. TBH, I haven’t owned a front wheel drive car for over 10 years so that has taken a little getting used to. Other than that, and the old ICE tech I’m impressed. Mine is a 2011 K24 S Type factory original 5 speed auto with sport mode and paddle shift in Premium White Pearl (NH624P). Like all JDM vehicles the switchgear is on the opposite side so turning on the wipers every time you make a turn takes time to adjust to:) I am not sure if mine is typical, but it does not come with daytime running lights. It does however come with auto headlights but NOT wipers, adaptive cruise, an electric tailgate, and climate control. The seats are not heated and come in a mixture of black leather and Alcantara. I believe the S Type only differs externally with a slightly revised suspension (lowered slightly) front lower side spoilers and side skirts and 18x8J S Type alloys with 235x45x18 tyres. Another JDM oddity is the keyless ignition. If the key is on you all you need do is touch the driver’s door and it will open. To start the car, instead of a key slot there is a circular turn switch which is activated and can be turned if the key is in range. I'm unsure as whether the visible flashing ‘BRAKE’ warning illumination on the main dash is equipped accross the global range. It is activated if you get too near a car in front, presumably activated by the camera in the front grill that monitors the adaptive cruise. The front seat belts also pin you back if you get even closer which was pretty alarming the first time a numptie pulled out on me!:confused:

I wouldn’t class the car as fast; I would imagine the UK diesel turbo has more torque and is a little nippier, but it works for me. The auto box is smooth, and the paddles are great. It handles OK although you do feel its weight through tighter corners. It steers well and dead centre is nicely weighted although I suspect my JDM spec Yokohama’s could be significantly improved on. Where it does shine is on long trips, particularly ones involving long motorway/dual carriageway stints along with a combination of fast A roads. I have heard that some cars like to eat their inner rear tyres, and although I suspect that could be due to lowering issues, I will be taking it to my suspension guy soon to give it a once over.

So, back to the ICE. For the last three months, on the nav I’ve currently been hovering in the sea above mainland Japan, and from what I can surmise, probably to get me back on the road, or land, I am being constantly told off via short bursts of audio by a nice sounding Japanese lady! I can play my own tunes via an old IPOD classic and fortunately it did have a lot of my favourite tracks downloaded on, but it has not been updated since around 2015! The steering wheel controls do work as regards to controlling it. E.g., volume and track selection and I do have the option of just the one clear UK radio channel: Radio 2. This has all been very novel for a while, but it is now time to consider what options I have to update it. An another bugbear is that the clock is connected via the NAV unit. It cannot be adjusted so will only display the current time in Japan:p

I have spoken to numerous ICE installers who all state they have never upgraded a system in a Honda Accord Wagon let alone a JDM car and the ones I have visited have all said that it needs pulling out to investigate what is possible.

Doing my own research, the biggest issue with replacing the main unit with a double Din aftermarket unit concerns losing the aircon/blower/heating/time display that are currently shown on the central horizontal strip of my unit. To get around this I believe it is possible to purchase a Navigation Bypass harness. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325653284061 which essentially would send this info to the top screen which currently displays my NAV and reversing camera. What I am unsure of is: do I need to purchase a UK non-NAV top binnacle screen or will this cable work on my existing screen?

I do realise that any installer would have to remove the current system to see what can be done so with DIY being a distinct possibility, I need to first consider some options:

• Can a used UK Premium system be transplanted or will the fact that that they are all powered make them incompatible?
  • Do all UK Premium units have a lower 6-disc changer and have a separate NAV unit?
  • If I go the aftermarket double Din option, in addition to sourcing the NAV bypass cable and getting a good facia/unit fit, will I need to source a UK top screen binnacle or will my existing screen work?
  • My car doesn’t have an AUX socket so can you stream phone music through a UK car via the AUX socket?
  • I'm sure to have forgotton something important and relevant so is there anything else I might be overlooking?
As an import I would ideally love to be able to leave it looking standard. Although Google maps would be nice, even outdated UK NAV maps would be OK for me. If that can be resolved by a direct UK replacement unit the only remaining issue would be with music streaming via my phone and whether UK units have that ability via the AUX socket.

I know there are Chinese units out there which profess to replace the top unit with an all singing/dancing affair but from what I’ve heard and read I’m not sure spending £250 let alone £500 would be a wise idea.

Any help or ***istance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Having recently moved on from my Honda accord to a Japanese import nissan elgrand I can give a little bit of advice. The radio in my elgrand was the same in that because of the radio bands used in Japan only radio 2 is able to be picked up. I fitted a FM expander which goes inline on the Ariel and converts the band searched for by the radio. I can now pick up UK radio but the original stereo still thinks it's picking up Japan stations so radio 1 is no longer at 98.2 but shows as 80.2 if that makes sense? I would link to the one I had but the elgrand has a vehicle specific plug but there are specific Honda ones;

That was a quick look but please double check before ordering anything.

Re the Japanese lady this will be down to a toll card reader fitted. She's actually telling you off as there's no card to charge as you drive about. These can be removed if you can find the original unit I'm guessing it's somewhere accessable with a card slot.

Also be aware if this is your 1st Japanese import they don't grit the roads over there so they don't underseal them like new cars are for the UK market. They look good underneath when they arrive here but if you don't get them undersealed the rust soon catches up and surpasses the UK cars of the same age.

Last edited:
Having recently moved on from my Honda accord to a Japanese import nissan elgrand I can give a little bit of advice. The radio in my elgrand was the same in that because of the radio bands used in Japan only radio 2 is able to be picked up. I fitted a FM expander which goes inline on the Ariel and converts the band searched for by the radio. I can now pick up UK radio but the original stereo still thinks it's picking up Japan stations so radio 1 is no longer at 98.2 but shows as 80.2 if that makes sense? I would link to the one I had but the elgrand has a vehicle specific plug but there are specific Honda ones;

That was a quick look but please double check before ordering anything.

Re the Japanese lady this will be down to a toll card reader fitted. She's actually telling you off as there's no card to charge as you drive about. These can be removed if you can find the original unit I'm guessing it's somewhere accessable with a card slot.

Also be aware if this is your 1st Japanese import they don't grit the roads over there so they don't underseal them like new cars are for the UK market. They look good underneath when they arrive here but if you don't get them undersealed the rust soon catches up and surpasses the UK cars of the same age.

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks for the advice. I will investigate the FM expander unit.

I have since been able to sort out music streaming. All I needed was an all-male RCA adapter cable with a male jack. I did purchase an RCA cable with a female jack to try adding a BT receiver to allow multi use within the car, but I got some weird and bad audible feedback so disconnected it quick time. So, it’s just one phone streaming for now!
Regarding a source for streaming music, unfortunately my current android phone doesn't have a headphone jack, however my previous one did, so I completely formatted the older phone and just uploaded the Spotify app. The phone along with the ancient iPod are both permanently connected via the USB (iPod) and RCA cable (phone) connections, and the phone is also hooked up to the 12V for charging. All I do is connect my current phone via BT tethering before I travel, and we are good to go. I’m not 100% but the sound quality is not quite as good as via the USB connected iPod. I have a paid account, but it just doesn’t seem quite as clear in comparison.

As for the SATNAV mapping, I have been able to manage with Google maps on my phone for now.
I don’t really want to lose the top mapping screen as I would like to retain the reversing camera so for now, I will keep researching to see what options might suit me best

Bit of a late reply but where did you get to with this?

Reason being I have been looking at the options for my UK delivered car - not the same as yours but similar issues

Wanting to avoid dubious Chinese Android head units the best I could come up with is basically converting the car back to "base model" spec without the nav screen and then fitting a double DIN adaptor but its horribly expensive. This was my list I put together before bowing out:

Fascia kit (InCarTec 50-897) £119
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/inc...ar-audio-fascia-adapter-panel-anthracite.html

Harness adapter £98
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325826803024?hash=item4bdcca7550:g:cIsAAOSw4hxkVqDr
Might be possible to just "cut and tape" wires instead for free

Base model screen (D099T) ~£30 from ebay/breakers
Base model dash cubby to replace CD changer ~£20 from ebay/breakers
Double DIN head unit approx £300

Total = £567

Plus probably an adaptor for the head unit to ISO plug etc which I didnt factor in (although they're not usually crazy money)

Apparently on my car (premium sound system) the speakers sound bad after you do a swap out as there is a lot of processing going on in the factory set up... but maybe for your unpowered system, you might be better off?

Unless I have a sudden change of heart I will stick with my "TUNAI LDAC" bluetooth adaptor in the armrest AUX/USB ports which does the job (TUNAI Firefly LDAC Bluetooth Adapter: Hifi Wireless Audio Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver with Audiophile USB DAC 3.5mm AUX for Car/Home Stereo Hi Res Music Streaming; Auto On, No Charging Needed: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo) does the job without any interreference being heard in the signal which is a problem i've had with cheaper BT adaptors

Last edited:

Reason being I have been looking at the options for my UK delivered car - not the same as yours but similar issues

Wanting to avoid dubious Chinese Android head units the best I could come up with is basically converting the car back to "base model" spec without the nav screen and then fitting a double DIN adaptor but its horribly expensive. This was my list I put together before bowing out:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/inc...ar-audio-fascia-adapter-panel-anthracite.html

Harness adapter £98

Total = £567

Plus probably an adaptor for the head unit to ISO plug etc which I didnt factor in (although they're not usually crazy money)

Apparently on my car (premium sound system) the speakers sound bad after you do a swap out as there is a lot of processing going on in the factory set up... but maybe for your unpowered system, you might be better off?

Unless I have a sudden change of heart I will stick with my "TUNAI LDAC" bluetooth adaptor in the armrest AUX/USB ports which does the job (TUNAI Firefly LDAC Bluetooth Adapter: Hifi Wireless Audio Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver with Audiophile USB DAC 3.5mm AUX for Car/Home Stereo Hi Res Music Streaming; Auto On, No Charging Needed: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo) does the job without any interreference being heard in the signal which is a problem i've had with cheaper BT adaptors

Hi buddy

They do seem a pain to integrate new tech into and like you I am not going to invest in any cheap Chinese system no matter how great they state they are!

Thanks for the info and details about the challenges you face

The TUNAI Firefly looks good and I'm sure would improve the sound I am getting whilst playing Spotify etc however, as mentioned my JDM car does not have an AUX socket! Sadly I have conceded I am getting far too much interference via the method currently adopted.

By the looks of things my speakers have been changed and I hope 'upgraded' before it was imported to the UK.

I have a local audio guy who is going to take everything out and see which way to procede early next year. Without doing so, on the face of it he reckons, like you state, to put a double din aftermarket unit in, then my currect SATNAV set up would have to make way for a basic UK car's top unit containing just the heating and radio info. I then would obviously loose the reversing camera which I find really handy.

He doesn't know a single installer who has worked on an Accord let alone a JDM one so I guess I will just have to wait and see.

You said you have a red/white/yellow socket in the armrest, would an adaptor like this work into the red/white?

StarTech.com 6in RCA to 3.5mm Female Cable - Audio to RCA Cable - 3.5mm Female to 2x RCA Male - Aux to RCA - Stereo Audio Cable (MUFMRCA) : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Most decent aftermarket double DIN touchscreen head units have reverse camera integration so it should be possibel to retain that, you might have to siwtch to an aftermarket camera but I think the reverse cameras in these cars are pretty basic ****ogue affairs so possible wiring can be adapted

Thanks

That is exactly what I am using but with a mail jack into my older Android phone. Unfortunately the audio sound by hooking up this way produces a low frequency hums/hiss which is not present at all when playing Ipod tunes directly via the USB connection.

Thanks

That is exactly what I am using but with a mail jack into my older Android phone. Unfortunately the audio sound by hooking up this way produces a low frequency hums/hiss which is not present at all when playing Ipod tunes directly via the USB connection.

I reckon its worth giving that firefly unit a try, as it's supposed to have some circuitry in it that filters out the hum - I don't get any in my car but I have had that exact same situation in previous cars with cheap bluetooth adaptors from aliexpress etc. There's an app you can put on your phone which gives some additional options including a feature to filter out even more hum but I didnt need to use that. If you order off amazon its easy to return it if it doesn't fix your issue.

I reckon its worth giving that firefly unit a try, as it's supposed to have some circuitry in it that filters out the hum - I don't get any in my car but I have had that exact same situation in previous cars with cheap bluetooth adaptors from aliexpress etc. There's an app you can put on your phone which gives some additional options including a feature to filter out even more hum but I didnt need to use that. If you order off amazon its easy to return it if it doesn't fix your issue.

All the advert pics of the firefly show it as plugged into the USB AND AUX socket! Or do you mean use it in connection with the RCA with female jack?

It just uses the USB for power, the audio comes out the jack side, if that makes sense

Got ya, I will give it a try

Let us know how you get on!

It's a shame really all these modern cars have head units which integrate a lot of other buttons and functionality so it's hard to replace them. I had a Volvo V50 previously in the past which was even worse! The heater controls and audio were integrated into one and there was no aux socket, the only solution (at the time anyway) was a Parrot bluetooth kit where you had to run one cable all the way from an amp in the back of the car to the front and then another back again!

Let us know how you get on!

It's a shame really all these modern cars have head units which integrate a lot of other buttons and functionality so it's hard to replace them. I had a Volvo V50 previously in the past which was even worse! The heater controls and audio were integrated into one and there was no aux socket, the only solution (at the time anyway) was a Parrot bluetooth kit where you had to run one cable all the way from an amp in the back of the car to the front and then another back again!

Will do and yes crazy isnt it!

What model Honda is yours?

Will do and yes crazy isnt it!

What model Honda is yours?

Similar to yours, a 2.4 MK8 accord, but mine is a manual saloon and a UK delivered car. Same engine and basic underpinnings but without the nice colour/wheels/bodykit and higher ride height!

Similar to yours, a 2.4 MK8 accord, but mine is a manual saloon and a UK delivered car. Same engine and basic underpinnings but without the nice colour/wheels/bodykit and higher ride height!

Thanks

Do you have the UK Satnav unit with reversing camera and a 6 CD changer system?

Thanks

Do you have the UK Satnav unit with reversing camera and a 6 CD changer system?

Yep standard fit for the EX trim level (I think all UK market 2.4s were)

Form factor looks identical to yours but its a 6CD changer and some other different buttons etc

The lower spec diesels etc all came without the screen so they're not too hard to find

Thanks

If you ever swap it all out I might be interested, although my audio guy couldnt confirm whether just swapping out the whole system to a UK one would be as painless as it sounds. He wont know that till he opens her up!

Have you heard about some of these cars eating their inner rear tyres? Mine showed no signs of wear but I had mine checked out and the camber is good front and rear.

9 months in now and I've not had a single issue. She has used a quarter of a litre of oil but I have put almost 9k miles on so I dont think that seems too alarming.

Distance trips on faster dual carriegeway routes (No motorways up my way in rural North Wales) seeing between 35 and 39mpg depending whether I use the cruise or not. Regularily flying about rural roads usual sees that drop to around 28mpg, but never much below that, so thats fine with me. My last five cars were all Subaru's so nothing shocking there!

A curious feature on mine is it will not allow the cruise to operate above 110 KPH. Are the cruise on UK cars limited to the country's speed limit?

Over time the bushes in the rear arms will wear and the arms themselves can bend very slightly, causing the wheels to sag inwards, producing negative camber and then inner rear tyre wear. Much more likely / will happen much sooner if your car is significantly lowered. The OE arms are not adjustable so if it did happen then aftermarket arms would need to be purchased. Hardrace make a pair for about £200. I wouldn’t worry about it too much mate.

My cruise will go over national speed limit, so maybe that’s a JDM requirement? Your mpg is spot on for a healthy auto.

Over time the bushes in the rear arms will wear and the arms themselves can bend very slightly, causing the wheels to sag inwards, producing negative camber and then inner rear tyre wear. Much more likely / will happen much sooner if your car is significantly lowered. The OE arms are not adjustable so if it did happen then aftermarket arms would need to be purchased. Hardrace make a pair for about £200. I wouldn’t worry about it too much mate.

My cruise will go over national speed limit, so maybe that’s a JDM requirement? Your mpg is spot on for a healthy auto.

Yea, I looked up that Hardrace option for the rear arms when I heard about some folks having issues. My alignment guy said not to worry as the rear arms and bushings all look good. TGT who imported it replaced some front bushings along with discs and pads as part of their prep to sell but I wanted to get the alignment dialled in as near perfect as poss. My alignment guy works for a BTCC team, so he knows how to dial in the optimum settings for fast road use. He adjusted the rear as the thrust angle was a little out and in now feels totally planted.

I will have to tinker with Google translate on my phone over the manual ref the cruise. Do your steering wheel control buttons increase and decrease the speed in incremental amounts or it is just up and down?

Good to know it is returning a healthy mpg.

These JDM cars do have some real oddities. The keyless entry is cool, but it is a shame it doesn't have daytime running lights (Which I will have to address soon) yet the auto function works well enough (sidelights come on first then update to full as the light fades further. You know when the headlights come on fully as the auto dipping high beam light appears on the dash as it switches over.

The adaptive cruise takes a bit of getting used to, but you do at least have three (distance from vehicle in front) options, but that same camera is responsible for collision warning (much like modern Volvos) with a massive orange 'BRAKE' symbol on the dash if you get too close to another vehicle. It then pins you into your seat if you choose to ignore that warning or someone does pull out on you in preparation for collision.

Apart from the audio I don't plan to change too much. I've spent a small fortune on Subaru upgrades over the years, Replacement engines, coilovers, stainless cat backs etc and I’m really happy with mine staying standard. Its also the only car I've ever purchased without test driving so I was delighted with the driving position, the switchgear and the seating.

It rides and handles nicely on the Type S suspension (that might be tricky to directly replace when the time comes) but I'm sure the likes of Bilstein will do the job well enough. It steers sweetly now the alignment is spot on, and it has just enough grunt to make progress enjoyable. The looks are slowly growing on me, and that pearlescent white paintwork really does accentuate the lines.

Immediate plans include tracking down a decent garage in the NW who know their way around K series Honda's for a full service next March (plugs, filters and all fluids)

Once thats out of the way my future plans are to:

• Sort out the drivers door mirror which, although operates smoothly whilst retracting, is a bit notchy going back out
  • To find a well made front sports grille that is a direct replacement, or fits neatly into the existing surround. Plenty out there for pre-facelifts but not so much for the facelift gens
  • Possible headlight upgrade to include DRL's. My offside one has faded badly and I've already had to buff it out
  • Find a tuner who might be able to ***ist in checking the existing mapping without resorting to purchasing a Hondata ECU or similar and the huge, related cost ***ociated.
  • A set of performance tyres

Last edited:

Harness adapter £98

Total = £567

The Firefly arrived today and it works perfectly so a big thank you for the recommendation.

I originally purchased one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZ1S46A/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item_image but it never worked so I just utilised the female jack portion and connected the firefly to it like you would to an Aux port. I connected the Firefly to the USB, connected my phone via bluetooth and Bingo. No sound interference and I can use my phone direct now with the added bonus of connecting other device should we need to. Well chuffed

Just need to search for a decent radio expander device for playing UK radio channels

Thanks again

The Firefly arrived today and it works perfectly so a big thank you for the recommendation.

I originally purchased one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZ1S46A/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item_image but it never worked so I just utilised the female jack portion and connected the firefly to it like you would to an Aux port. I connected the Firefly to the USB, connected my phone via bluetooth and Bingo. No sound interference and I can use my phone direct now with the added bonus of connecting other device should we need to. Well chuffed

Just need to search for a decent radio expander device for playing UK radio channels

Thanks again

No worries glad it helped!