What's new

New Rear Brake Calipers + Sliders

Conor1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hey guys,

My 05 2.2 diesel was due new discs so I went ahead and got all 4 sets of discs and pads replaced. When I went to collect it the guys at the garage told me the rear calipers were done and need replacing along with new sliders. At this point their looking me to fork out 400 quid (euro) for the calipers but they can't get the sliders.

Can anyone direct me toward getting both the calipers and sliders for cheaper? I know I'll end up ordering the wrong kit if I do it on my own.

I saw these on eBay,they seem too cheap.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321680350002&alt=web

Also, I hope to get both the sliders and calipers ordered ASAP as I need to drive home (200 miles) this coming Friday and currently cannot.

Prices in that ebay link look ok to me, but the problem is that it's a US seller on ebay.com . Honda Accord in US is not same as Honda Accord in EU. Latter is known as Acura TSX in US. If you want to buy parts n ebay, use ebay.co.uk and go to Advanced Search and choose UK.

You don't say whether your car is saloon or Tourer, the rear brakes are very different and not interchangeable.

But they should be able to get patterned calipers for about £80 each, and I'm surprised that they say the sliders need replacing. I could be wrong but they may be over-doing this, red grease such as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130679593752 plus a bit of elbow grease, will cure most of the problems. I say this, because take it from me, brake discs hardly ever need replacing anyway.

Hey Freddo,

I'm sorry, it a saloon.

I don't know why the link came out as an eBay.com one, but its from Carfactors Uk.
It seems cheap £95 for a pair of rear calipers.

They said the reason it will need new sliders is because they heated the old one to open them and they said the seals which keep out dirt are either worn or done and will not keep the dirt out for more than a few weeks.

Conor1 said:
Hey Freddo,

I'm sorry, it a saloon.

I don't know why the link came out as an eBay.com one, but its from Carfactors Uk.
It seems cheap £95 for a pair of rear calipers.

They said the reason it will need new sliders is because they heated the old one to open them and they said the seals which keep out dirt are either worn or done and will not keep the dirt out for more than a few weeks.
ahhh ok. Price seems reasonable to me, but as I say, be careful with Honda parts from the US. Maybe send a message in ebay saying that you want a pair, but clarify in the message that they are for a 2005 saloon not Tourer, and that Honda Accord in UK is not same as Honda Accord in US, some places on ebay will not know this.

If the garage has damaged only one, you don't need to replace both btw (and I don't understand why they used heat "to open them", most decent independent garages would simply replace with patterned parts if you asked them to, and you could have kept the old ones in the state they were in)

Brakes are VERY easy money for garages ....VERY easy for a garage to milk

I have no doubt they are indeed milking money, but I don't have the knowledge to fix it myself.

But my brakes are now sticking (causing excessive heat) so I can't do long journeys.... Which is required.

I ordered the two calipers, they say is the description to send your Reg so they can cross reference compatibility.

Thanks freddo, I'll let you know how I get in.

If the seller sends you the wrong part, under "distance selling" laws, the seller has to pay for return postage (ebay should find in your favour if the seller disputes this)

Hey just an update, got the new calipers fitted and they just decreased the sliders and said it was working fine.

I jacked the car up when I got home and the rear wheels still have a bit of resistance, I can only get about 1 revolution, 2 tops when I spin.

I took it for a small drive, I didn't touch the brake once over about 2 miles, got out and the rear brakes are still heating up, this can't be normal, can it be? I then took it for a bit of a longer drive, maybe 6 miles but I used the brakes a few times and the heat was really radiating off them.

It might be the pads sticking in the calipers, it depends on the source of the calipers and the source of the pads as to how well they fit. If the pads are tight, the ends might need filing down a bit. Many of us DIYers have discovered this issue.

If that's the case it might be a real pain as I have to do a 200 mile journey back to my home this Friday, I doubt the garage will have a clue about what needs filed Down.

Each end of the pad just needs filing down a touch to make the overall length of pad slightly shorter - very common to have to do this with the rear brakes on the 7th gen Accord

If you didn't change the discs then the new pads will catch on the rusty part of the disc untill the new pads bed in if it wasn't cleaned properly.Mine was like this for about 300 miles. I also had to shave the ends of my new pads for them to move freely. They were rusted in place before I did the job which gave me an advisory on my mot for rear brake unbalance.

I got new discs and pads at the same time.

Going back on Friday if its still happening happening and they'll strip them to find the problem.