What's new

New tyres = alignment required?

skinnyman

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.4 Type S
I ran over a screw last week ruining my front tyre, no biggie as they were about due anyway. Had Michelin Pilot Sports 3's fitted to the front this morning, so now have matching tyres all round. Question is, do I now need an alignment doing? There was no uneven wear on the old tyres, but unsure if new tyres means new alignment,

The car is standard, and rarely driven in anger (2006 2.4 Type S), I tend to just potter around in it, so I don't want the alignment doing for handling purposes, more just for tyre wear an comfort purposes I've only driven a few miles back from the garage this morning, but can already tell the new tyres have made a difference. No longer pulling slightly to the left, or tramlining, the car already feels much better.

But, is alignment needed? And what sort are we talking?

If there was no uneven tyre wear on all 4 corners with the old tyres and the car is driving straight, along with the steering being correct in the straight ahead position , then alignment isn't really necessary, keep an eye on how the new tyres are wearing , any abnormal wear on the inner or outer edges ( feathering) then get the alignment done, if you do decide to get alignment done in the end then a 4 wheel alignment is the thing to go for, as this sets up the rears first (if done the proper way!) to obtain the thrust angle (imaginary centre line through the car) to which the fronts are aligned to, would be pointless getting just the fronts aligned as the rear toe could be way out etc. HTH
Cheers Pete

That's pretty much what I thought. Done around 15 miles on new tyres today and it's driving much better. I had even wear on the old ones, will check the rears over the weekend but from memory they're fine too.

I had some pulling and tramlining on the old tyres, but they were on the limit and the front left had a slow puncture, so obviously didn't help.

The car had a full hunter alignment around 8k ago, so should still be all good.

Yeh sounds good to me. It will soon show up if its out because you'll start to get some tell tale signs on the outer and inner edge of the tyres. As already merntioned. But if its running straight and true then should be ok.