Newly Bought 2005 Accord I-CTDI

Conor1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hey,

Recently bought a 2005 accord 2.2.
Got a decent price for it as I recognised the Manifold was cracked, despite being 9 years old and having 109k on the clock I was able to get the manifold replaced free of charge via my local Honda dealership.

The only problems I'm having with the car are perhaps 1/5 cold starts after a period of not being used takes a few turnover to start, it has always started first crank, but the odd time it is hesitant to start, when it is hesitant I get a lot of fumes out of the exhaust as a result, white in colour.
Also once the car has went into limp mode displaying the glow plug symbol when i stupidly tried to gun it to work as I was running late and it was around -1 outside, this was pre manifold fitting.

No limp mode problems since then.

What would likely be the problem with the hesitation on starting up?
I'm unsure if the fuel filter fitted is a honda part, it was fitted around a week before I bought the car.

Conor

Welcome to fotum.Maybe your glow plugs or just battery?

Glow plugs mate. They're tired and white smoke is unburnt fuel.

Replace only with genuine honda items in this car

Hey guys,

Are glow plugs an expensive fix?
Car is booked in for service at the end of the month, so i'll have them check it out for me.

Here's a video of said issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKw0QNydCHY

Conor

The battery sounds a little sluggish but also did you give the glow plugs a chance to work? You should turn on the ignition and wait a few seconds for the glow plug light to come on and go back off again before attempting to start.

Dave G said:
The battery sounds a little sluggish but also did you give the glow plugs a chance to work? You should turn on the ignition and wait a few seconds for the glow plug light to come on and go back off again before attempting to start.
Keys had been in ignition for about 15-20 sec before video started, Glow Plug dashboard light had displayed and disappeared for a while before starting it up.

Battery sounds very weak imo. Get that changed or checked atleast. Should be strong start

I have a Plug and Drive kit in my 12V socket for my insurance, only until February.
Could it be draining the battery over night?
It's always using some power as if I unplug it, it lets my insurance know..... Even if the car isn't on.

The first month I drove the car without the kit I never experienced issues.