What's new

Oil in Coolant

A J Clarke

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord2.2 DTEC
Hi just noticed oil in the coolant expansion tank a few days ago, I flushed the coolant system 4 times now. My 8th generation Accord 2.2 diesel dtec engine, 2010 year 150hp. I have ordered the 6 rubber O ring gaskets from honda at 70 euros but also buying a 2nd hand oil cooler from a breakers yard at 171 euros or 150 sterling. I just wanted to be sure that if i take m6 oil cooler off and its cracked inside them i have another one to put on. If only the rubber gaskets are gone and my own oil cooler is fine i can return the 2nd hand oil cooler within 1 month to breakers yard. Anyway thankfully no oil in the engine has been contaminated by coolant so head gasket is fine. Can anyone tell me their story if they encountered this problem and how they got on . Thanks, kind regards Arron

I’ve seen this several times now on the idtec engines. It’s always a failed oil cooler.

Thanks pal, I had a civic 2.2 diesel ictdi for 4 years and sold it 7 weeks ago as the clutch was slipping and the cost of replacing it with a new clutch kit and flywheel and mechanic labour was €2200 euros while the civic was a 2009 car worth only 3250 euros if perfect so i cudnt see the sense in putting this amount of money into it so i went and got a 2010 Accord 2.2 diesel dtec engine EX GT with all the extras, leather seats, GT body kit and its is immaculate condition. After 4 weeks of loving it, one morning late November 2023 driving to college in Dublin, 7am and temperature -3°C ,after 15 minutes driving nó heat inside the car for heater. Got to college and checked to see if coolant level was low and might be the reason for nó heat, as this was the reason my Nissan Navara wudnt blow hot air a few years ago, I topped up coolant and heat came back, so i was going to check 8f this was the issue with the Accord, to my horror thick sludge in the coolant expansion tank. I was gutted. I got home and flushed the coolant system 4 times, each time with a new bottle of rad flush. Got it cleaned out and heat came back but im flushing now every 2nd day until the oil cooler gasket set arrives in honda dealership. I purchased a 2nd hand oil cooler. Please got its only gaskets or oil cooler. I love the car. Also I have to fit a replacement abs pump unit aswell which i got. Abs and vsa lights on the dashboard. The solder on the circuit board on the abs pump unit is really bad quality so this is the cause. Ill replace it with the one I have and then repair the one i take off. Anyway im new on the forum and delighted to be here and have access to all the helpful information from all you guys.

I believe I have run the iCTDi here for some 25k with a slipping clutch and yes it's getting worse but I think I may get another year out of her, possibly more as she doesn't have a towbar.

Sorry to hear about the oil cooler issue, is there is no way to just run a direct pipe from inlet to outlet (as I did with a Ducati 900) or is the cooling thing essential on the i-Dtec ?

Ordered my new oil cooler, gasket set on the way from honda Ireland. So please God this will be the final thing to have my accord back running perfectly