What's new

Oil in intake idtec too much blowby?

projectaccord

Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord CW3
Just finished the other day replacing turbo core due to oil in intake. I have been advised (after job was done!) That these turbos tend not to blow seals but anyway it runs well but oil re-appeared today.

I popped off the crank case breather, see video. Is this too much and is my engine toast?

Can’t really tell anything from a 1 second video I’m afraid. Did you clean the intercooler and pipe work when doing the turbo? Is it just as much as oil as before or less this time? How much oil does your engine consume every 1k miles?

Cleaned everything up to the intake manifold thoroughly soapy water and with dpf cleaner.

There is oul sitting in the metal intake just before turbo where breather comes in. hard to tell as not done lots of miles yet

Oil consumption was low before close to negligible but blue smoke on startup and was starting to on idle for longer periods than a couple of minutes - noticed during a motorway jam.

Ill grab a longer video

Cleaned everything up to the intake manifold thoroughly soapy water and with dpf cleaner.

There is oul sitting in the metal intake just before turbo where breather comes in. hard to tell as not done lots of miles yet

Oil consumption was low before close to negligible but blue smoke on startup and was starting to on idle for longer periods than a couple of minutes - noticed during a motorway jam.

Ill grab a longer video

All oilways need to be operating theatre clean before bolting on a new turbo if the old blew up.

How many miles has she done ?

I can hear lots of tappet noise, has the top come off at any point for shim work ?

138k miles. Had oil changes every 8/9k for the last 20/30k with a couple at 15k before that.

Yes have drained thoroughly new oil and filter, diesel filter, air filter.

Not had the rocker cover off this engine before and no reason to suggest it has before. Solid valve lifters on this as other Hondas??

Draining / refilling won't get rid of the nasties in the case of a catastrophic failure.

Top end noise might be shim or hydraulics, not sure but whatever, it sounds very off from the video.

Last edited:
Honestly i think the cam mic is picking up different parts of the sound here or the injector sound as it sounds like a normal diesel engine sound to the ear, it doesnt sound tappety or knocky in any way.

Question more relates to blowby and if thats right. Will try a compression test when the wife and kids are out of the way in the coming days..

Can you remove your down pipe and check if your dpf is present. You may have a poorly calibrated remap, I’ve hear a few idtecs sound like this and exhibit poor running like this before. Also check if your dpf sensors are present and connected, hard to tell from the video.

Hi. Ive gotten round to checking in the downpipe. There is nothing whatsoever present in the dpf canister. Is this an issue? Sensors appear present and correct.

Last edited:
Well then your dpf is missing as well as your cat, that would go some way to explaining some of your issue. Chances are it’s a bad solution. The cat should never be removed.

Well then your dpf is missing as well as your cat, that would go some way to explaining some of your issue. Chances are it’s a bad solution. The cat should never be removed.
Silly q why is this a problem, does the backpressure from the cat help?

I do need to get around to getting a proper professional look at the map soon!!

Well if you need a professional then contact Fahad, he remapped my ATS and its a huge improvement on the stock Map.

Silly q why is this a problem, does the backpressure from the cat help?

I do need to get around to getting a proper professional look at the map soon!!

yes modern variable vane turbos require back pressure to spool correctly and remain within their target range.

the fact someone has gutted the whole thing suggests it was done by a cowboy so I would hazard a guess the software is equally as poor in its calibration. Impossible to say anything with certainty without seeing it, but from your symptoms I already suspected it was removed badly which is why I suggested you check what’s inside the unit.

Update. Fahad remapped the car yesterday. Will be posting a review he is indeed a gent and a scholar. The car def has a new lease of life, no more flat spots in torque and it can actually spin the wheels!

It seems possible that smoking issues may have been due to the incomplete dpf "solution" a previous owner had applied - read 10 quid ebay job.

That said.. there is a hangover of my recently replaced turbo (nothing to do with Fahad).. lomg story short it is an exchange unit with a mellett core, blue marks on vnt adjustment screws suggesting it has been tested/ set up.

The HDS turbo test revealed not enough boost being made (first image below). However checking MAP target and actual today via obd2 "thinkcar pro" appears to show the opposite? Its a similar story raising revs with no load.

Question what is the cheapest way of obtaining the HDS turbo test or similar? Fahad did advise me to contact the company to sort out the turbo bit im a bit challenged for time with family atm not to mentionned burnt out on spannering so wanting to drive it for a while really and see how i get on.

Will try and grab some more data under acceleration etc. The butt dyno approves though it certainly doesnt feel like much is missing esp considering its a boat of a car. Once again thanks for your time Fahad :cool:

20230726_174002.jpg20230726_174151.jpg

Last edited:
It could just be a ‘tight’ turbo which needs some time bedding in, so if not giving you any immediate issues try a few more thousand miles of it running in.