What's new

Oil Pressure Light Before Ignition

Conor1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hey,

Yesterday I had my car parked while in reverse gear, forgot to take it out of gear before starting the ignition, obviously the car jumps and I immediately realised.
When I took it out of gear and tried again I noticed of all the dashboard lights the Check Engine, Oil pressure and battery (Always on before starting) were still lit and the engine just turned over, no ignition,

Took the keys out, waited a minute and it started perfectly but the check engine light stayed on. Took it for a drive to the shop to see if anything was noticeably wrong, nothing.

Parked it up for a few hours and the light went away, but now I get a low oil pressure light only before ignition. Once the car has started it goes away, I check the oil every week and it's still at max and it was changed roughly 6 months ago (around 6k miles) so it's due a change.

But can anyone think why it would display low oil pressure only before ignition?

Might be a good idea to check for any DTC's on the OBD port, and then clear them and see if that helps.

Alternatively, you might clear the problem by disconnecting the battery for a while and then reconnecting it. What year is the car ?

disconnecting the battery will be ok then (later Accords need codes for the radio, but not yours)

The oil pressure light will come on with ignition until you start the engine because you have no oil pressure until the engine is running.

7th Gen Tourer said:
The oil pressure light will come on with ignition until you start the engine because you have no oil pressure until the engine is running.
That's what I thought, but I was almost certain it never used to be present before ignition.
Perhaps I was wrong.

Conor1 said:
That's what I thought, but I was almost certain it never used to be present before ignition.
Perhaps I was wrong.
shouldn't get those lights on in #1 with engine running