What's new

Oil question I Ctdi

chew

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord tourer
On Saturday I did my first service after deciding it looks quite easy with the great information on here.All went fine and I decided to check my oil level after a few short trips. I was surprised to find the oil was still clear because I clearly remember being alarmed last October when after having my car serviced at a local garage and driving it the short distance home I checked the oil to find
it was completely black I did some research to find most
people saying it was quite normal for a diesel to turn oil
black instantly. So I would be interested to know if other I ctdi owners could let me know if their oil turns black instantly after services or stays clear for a while.Or as suspected the garage didn't even touch my oil. Thanks..

Did you use any oil additives? Some people say this can help....tbh the oil in mine isn't clear for long....

No just oil from lubetech as recommended by many people on here. I spose it gives even more reason to do my own servicing in future it's the only way you can be sure.

I find my oil goes black surprisingly quickly, but not instantly. It sounds like the garage may have not bothered, which is pretty daft on a diesel where old oil is easy to spot.

If you are really worried there's a cheap way of getting a good idea of the state of the oil. Take a piece of kitchen paper and lay it out flat. Remove the dipstick from the engine and touch the oily end onto the kitchen paper briefly. Leave the paper for about 15 minutes and see what you get. The drop of oil will spread out during this time. If the result is a uniform grey circle the oil needs changing. More likely you'll get a clearish circle with one or more darker circular bands in which case the oil is still useable.

This is a cheap and dirty version of something called an oil contamination patch test which is widely used in industry.

Alan

Ok thanks guy's I'll be doing a yearly oil change myself from now on in mine and my mrs cars as we don't do high milage.I definitely won't risk using that garage again.

I have read somewhere in the past, that this could indicate a faulty oil pump. Long shot, i know, but still...

Wouldn't a faulty oil pump cause low oil pressure? Or be noisy?

Or did you mean fuel pump, where diesel may get through the seals and into the sump? I've not heard of that happening to a Honda, but I recall it happening to a BMW in an episode of Top Gear.

No, oil pump. Low oil pressure is an indication, but i don`t know if the accord has an oil pressure gauge? Noise isn`t always a symptom, but i`m certain it would affect the tensioner right away, causing rattle even in working temperature and pressure.

DiD said:
No, oil pump. Low oil pressure is an indication, but i don`t know if the accord has an oil pressure gauge? Noise isn`t always a symptom, but i`m certain it would affect the tensioner right away, causing rattle even in working temperature and pressure.
Low oil pressure is measured and indicated by the red oil light on the dash. There is no sensor in an engine to measure oil quantity and its all done from reading pressure. Less oil means lower pressure being built

The civic Ictdi actually has an oil level sensor but not the accord.

Most new cars have them now..