What's new

Optimum No Rinse

Shiny

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type R
Well i fought off the man flu and gave the car a wash down today, used Optimum No Rinse (ONR) again and thought i'd take a couple of snaps on the way to help anyone thinking of using ONR as a winter wash.

The idea behind ONR is that you don't need to rinse it off, so you don't use much water, but for me i see it as a winter/wet/icey weather alternative to my usual wash routine (snowfoam etc).

Last time i used ONR, i cleaned the car as it was and it was filthy when i started, so the wash and rinse water soon got dirty meaning i had to make some fresh mix up half way through. So a couple of days back i went to one of these coin car wash places and just used the pressure washer to get the worse off. Don't for the love of god use the brooms they have to clean your car, just use the pressure washer.

The car is still rather dirty/greasy as you can see in the following pictures, but the worse of the black salty mess from the roads has gone.

(apologies for the pictures, i took them on my phone and they didn't come out too well - got lines all over some of them for some reason too)

ONR03.jpg

ONR04.jpg

So what you will need is some ONR, a pressure spray bottle, a drying aid of your choice (I used Aqua Wax today as it does a great job) and a load of microfibre cloths for drying.

Two buckets is best for this, one for wash and one for rinsing your sponge (i have a home made grit guard in the bucket). The general opinion is that a grout sponge (available quite cheap from the likes of B&Q is best for the job, as it picks up the dirt well with little or no marring of the paint and can be rinsed out well. With microfibre cloths the dirt tends to stay in the cloth.

Mix 30ml of ONR into 2 Gallons of water in each bucket (you don't need much!). I used a big old syringe, but it's not a rocket science so as long as you are near you will be fine. I used a mix of 30ml to 1 litre in the pressure sprayer which is used as a pre wash.

ONR01.jpg

ONR02.jpg

So pump up your sprayer and spray onto your first panel, starting at the top. The secret with ONR is to do a panel at a time and wash an area bigger than you are going to dry, that way you will never be trying to dry a dirty area and rubbing dirt into your paint. However, today as it was very damp, there was no chance of the ONR drying out and the man flu was looking for a slightly lazier way of cleaning the car, so i sprayed the whole car with the pre wash.

ONR05.jpg

ONR06.jpg

Let that dwell for a couple of minutes and then you can start on the wash. Dip your grout sponge in the wash bucket, squeeze out some of the water as you don't want water running everywhere, wipe the paint lightly with the grout sponge, flip the sponge over, wipe the next bit, then rinse out the sponge in the rinse bucket. Dip the sponge in the wash bucket and start the process again.

ONR07.jpg

As i mentioned, normally you would wash and dry a panel at a time, but i went for the kill with the whole car.

ONR08.jpg

Then spray on your QD/Drying aid of you choice and start to dry the car.

ONR09.jpg

This time of year and being late afternoon with moisture in the air, drying is a nightmare as it just seems to smudge. So i dried off the whole car with a couple of microfibre cloths which left the car rather smudgy

ONR10.jpg

But after a some more wiping with fresh/dry MF cloths, it came up a treat (again apologies for the picture quality and the blue lines all over them)

ONR11.jpg

ONR12.jpg

ONR13.jpg

ONR14.jpg

Even the wheels came up a treat.

ONR15.jpg

You can probably tell from the pictures that there only a few wet patches on the floor, so didn't prove any problem cleaning the car inside the garage.

The MF cloths are spotless when you dry the car with QD, so without doubt the ONR does it's job and does get your car clean. But you can't help feeling that it isn't OCD clean, as you never got you pressure washer in the panel gaps and up under the arches. But for those days when you can't get pressure out due to the weather (especially the ice), in my opinion this makes a great addition to anyone's detailing gear.

that looks good mate. how much and where do you get this magic stuff from.?

I bought mine from http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/optimum-rinse-formula-gallon-sizes-p-242.html as it was the cheapest with p&p at the time.

I also have some Hozelock pump sprayers which are excellent quality but they are roughly fifteen pounds although I only paid a pound each for them in the Do-it-all closing down sale.

Wilkinsons sell cheap sprayers, but as to how long they will last......

These are the ones. Had them must be three or four years now, one has wheel cleaner in (originally Britewheels, but now VP Bilberry), one has Megs APC and one has Megs Last Touch.

a-Britewheels.JPG

c-apcarches.JPG

p-sonuslt.JPG