What's new

Parcel Shelf Repair

Tromperie

Members
Reaction score
Car
'51 Accord 2.0 SE
The parcel shelf on my '51 Accord has got to the point where it doesn't lift up when the hatch is opened. Since I came to own it, the retracting string connector on the driver's side has been broken, as seen below:

5my1oj.jpg

The connector attaches onto a small plastic stud that's held in by a screw; on the side where the retractor is broken, this piece is missing. On the passenger side, the retracting string connector is not broken, but the plastic stud and the screw has been recently lost, and therefore the parcel shelf is no longer attached to anything, meaning it won't lift when the hatch is opened.

My question is thus: can the broken connector, as seen in the image above, be replaced with a new (or used) part? If it can, is it possible to source this part, as well as the two plastic studs/screws which the retracting connectors attach to, directly from Honda?

Thanks

Yes this is a weak point on them. Both my accords had this.

On my present one, I just took out the spring retractable mechanism , and replaced both cords with long boot laces.

Don't laugh, it works !

A tied a loop around the door hatch peg, then cut to length, with a knot in the parcel shelf hole. When yu open the hatch, it elevates the parcel shelf. When you close the hatch - it naturally coils down. Not very elegant, but it works, is simple, and there is nothing to break. Cost negligible.