What's new

Performance Air filter illegal?

GuyFawkes

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 Type S Tourer
Hi all,

So, my car is French registered and came fitted with a nice Injen air intake. Gives the car a fantastic sound when on full chat and may add a BHP or two.

A mate informed me the other day that it is illegal to modify french cars. Surely a cheeky air filter can't be an issue I thought. Well it seems it is, insurance company tell me its not allowed. Second mate tells me the fuzz can seize the car if its fitted with performance enhancing mods. Spoke to the insurance company again and apparently I have to get the car ***essed by the prefecture and then issued with new ownership docs if i decide to keep it....ridiculous IMHO.

Anyway, the missis has had a few near misses lately so decided to remove the offending article, just so the car is completely legit should the worst happen. Car now sounds like a sewing machine, Booooo!

Anyone got any experience of this?

Cheers

I've got no knowledge on this whatsoever so don't take what I am saying as fact. I haven't heard of the law against modifying French cars but even if there is one surely it'd only be effective in France. Also I think any mods on a car are fine as long as you let your insurance provider know.