What's new

power dropping at high revs!

mike vas

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
hi guys a bit of a head scratcher here.
had the accord about 3 months now. when first got the car it felt underpowered at low revs but when turbo kicked in it would pull fine all way up to limiter. i had intermitent common egr valve fault.
after 1st week of ownership i took the car for a full service to a good friend of mine. at same time i purchased a replacement EGR valve off ebay hoping to eliminate my intermitent fault.
on my way home i noticed that at high revs i had huge power drop as if the car was restricted.
that day i came accros this forum. got in touch with premier tuning had a little chat about my issue. i was recomended to do a egr blank and remap..
that was done in the same week the car felt so much better at lower end but still power would drop at high revs.
i was then advised to replace the fuel filter with a genuine one as thet can restrict fuel flow which i did. still the same.
then advised that pressure relieve valve on fuel rail could be faulty. i have changed that for a new one still the same.
ive also tries forte injector cleaner and turbo cleaner but no difference.
can anyone help figure this out????

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Can you tell us what year and mileage the car is, this might help some of the guys better advise you.

hi there sorry. its 2004 with 147k. the engine still sounds sweet. no knocks or signs of wear.

Hi Mike, sorry to hear you're still struggling with this, definitely a head scratcher. I still believe it to be a turbo issue, the vanes are most likely sticking and not creating boost on wide open throttle.

Did you spray into the intake or have you just used a treatment in the fuel tank?

just fuel tank chemicals so far. not tried the mr muscle route yet not 100% sure how to do it.its really frustrating cause as soon as turbo kicks in u can feel how power its ready to give then just backs off as the revs increase. thought id get rid of the car but sailed through mot so its a keeper for a while longer.

Definitely not worth selling over this mate... Worst case it's a turbo replacement or strip down and clean and they can be had for reasonable money these days. Try and spray into the vanes, if it makes even the slightest improvement then you know you've pinpointed the issue.

Also as previously advised get the car live logged and look at the various target requests and actual data to see where the deviation is.

I know forte do a pray can for cleaning egr valve and intakes etc gonna try that followed my mr muscle. If no success I think it will be a trip up to u and get the manifold sorted too.

No problem. It's easy to whip the turbo out when the manifold is off anyway

Agreed with the guys here, worth looking at the vanes on the turbo.

Have you also thought about cleaning the intake and ports on this car, suspect that will be clogged up also with that miledge

That won't reach the turbo and honestly all these sprays and applications are no substitute for a proper physical clean by removing the affected part and cleaning it.

I don't believe it's an intake problem now as those issues create power problems lower down in the rev range. But I do agree with Shab that cleaning the inlet manifold is a great idea.

Here you go.

My inlet manifold at 148k. The smaller inlet port is the one that runs constantly, and the larger when the swirl control butterfly's open.

All that extra soot is courtesy of your EGR valve.
The variable vanes on your turbocharger will look like this too.

This is why an EGR delete should be high priority for everyone.

Hi F6HAD Can turbo veins be cleaned when I get a chance to bring car up to get intake manifold cleaned?

Anything is possible, but it all takes time and these aren't 'while you wait' type jobs. The turbo comes off the exhaust manifold, not the inlet so it's a separate job.

One thing that it might be is the N75 vacuum valve that controls the actuator on the turbo. Try swapping with the identical one at the front
of the engine that controls the EGR valve.

Is that possible to swap them around. To me it feels like it's losing boost. Between 3&4 thousand rpm the car pulls how it should then seems like a boost loss of some kind. It's a real head scratcher. Like I said at the beginning of my post. It pulled fine when turbo kicked in. It's only been since I serviced it. That's the annoying thing. If it was blocked veins it would of done it from the beginning when purchased the car

That's not a bad idea Trevor. Only issue is that Mike's car is a pre facelift Accord with the n22a1 engine and that has a different imrc actuator to the n22a2 like your crv. The little black diaphragm can't be split from the actuator..

finally found the source of my power loss... it turned out my breather pipe came of at the bottom where it connects to inlet pipe. pulls like a train happy days...

Always something simple in the end..