What's new

Ratchet axle stands any good?

chew

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord tourer
I going to treat myself to some new axle stands. What does everyone think of the ratchet one's? I've never had that sort and I'm not sure they look 100%safe without a locking pin, although I like the ratchet features I've seen the Halford ones and sealey could anyone recommend some. Thanks.

If I was getting a new set Id probably buy these laser ones with the pin...

Laser Axle Stands

71Q-iP-N3zL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a set of Arcan 2.0kg ones they have been fine. Do like the design

Thanks. the arcan ones look good but I want one's with a locking pin. So might go for the laser one's or sgs ones I found on eBay which look beefy. 4 Ton Heavy Duty Ratchet Axle Stands - Lifetime Warranty. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191411121279

Matt said:
I'm not sure what the pin gives you -the ratchet cannot be release with the weight of the car on them, but if it makes you feel more secure go for the pinned ones.
I totally agree with that.
Regarding value, just check whether the stands are rated 2 tonne per pair or 2 tonne each.

Over the years I have accumulated 3 different pairs
Draper - ratchet only, 2 tonne each
Halfords - ratchet only, 2 tonne pair
Halfords - pin only, 2 tonne pair

I've used both the ratchet and pin axle stands. The ratchets are handier as I can get more accurate heights that with the pin. Never had a problem. If you look at the design of the ratchet, each grove of the ratchet is machined slightly inwards. As such, the stand needs to come-up BEFORE the release mechanism can be applied. As such, there's no real concern about it failing.

More often, when I've see axle stands fail, it's because they are not used correctly, as in they are no on level ground, or incorrectly balanced.

FWIW - get a proper set. For piece if mind, I always, chuck some other extra support under the car (wood, wheels, etc)

True extra support is vital. I even put the wheel under the car.

Just looked at mine and they are 3 tonne rated each. I prefer the ratchet ones

i got a set of 3 tonne rated ratchet stands (no pin) from B&Q last year. Ive used them when working on my Tourer, my Land Rover Discovery and my dad's Jag S Type without any issues.