What's new

Rear Camber issue

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
I'm not sure if any of you are aware but the accord has a suspected rear camber issue.

I have seen some accords with hugely negative camber on the rear!

The rear camber is supposed to be a maximum of -1 either side. Mine with lowered suspension has -1.5 and -2.

I suggest you all check your rear camber and post back here on the poll. I just want to find out how many have probs.

note i have known some to be -2.5 either side with standard suspension! :shock:

Attachments

• rearcamber.jpg
    rearcamber.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 24
Well something has finally been done about this...well at least by Acura (the American Luxury brand of Honda). The poll that i did didn't really give any conclusive proof of whethere the is a problem with UK cars in general but if you look at the bulletin I have attached it affect ALL 2004 cars and some of the 2005.

[EDIT - UK cars now have updated rear upper camber arms for car in warranty]

tsxtsb0600.gif

Ive checked the tyre wear on the rears and it appears to have quite a bit of inside scrubbing. As the car is out of warranty, is it likely to be done as goodwill by Honda? If so, whats the best way of going about getting it done? Failing that, im probably looking at about £200 a side right?

contact honda first and see what they say. If they wont fix it free they'll try to sell you revised 1mm longer upper arms, i think they're £80 each. But if you lower you car afterwards you might end up facing the same problem again.

to get it fixed regardless or lowering or not you could get a rear camber kit, either an adjustable upper arm (spc) or adjustable lower arm and toe arm kit (ingalls)

Check the diy section for a solution if you want a kit.

you're welcome :angry:

Hey Puppy. Yea, i have the 6th gen, but sister has just recently purchased a 7th gen and asked me to sort it for her. The problem is with her 7th.

Thats quite a good link there, thanks a lot Puppy. I think i better look into this a bit more. I may give Honda UK a ring in the morning and see what they say.I can only try i suppose.

Hey Puppy. Yea, i have the 6th gen, but sister has just recently purchased a 7th gen and asked me to sort it for her. The problem is with her 7th.

Thats quite a good link there, thanks a lot Puppy. I think i better look into this a bit more. I may give Honda UK a ring in the morning and see what they say.I can only try i suppose.
Hope you told her to join the form?

saj the only real way is to get it on an alignment ramp and get the specs read off first to see where you stand...it could just be simple toe misalignment, which is adjustable, which means you won't need the modified camber arms.

If you find that the camber is way out then...tbh...adjustable camber arms are the better way forward...

that way you pay for 2 alignments and camber arms if you need them. If you want to sure fire sort the problem i'd just get a kit fitted and aligned once.

Paying for the first alignment is a 50/50 gamble coz you might still need camber arms anyway. If you think about it, im sure everyone who has had a rear tyre wear problem ended up buying a kit anyway. So save money in the long run by spending it on a kit and 1 alignment.

Thats the way i always look at things anyway.

Because if your sister is anything like my sister, she runs about with a full load in the boot all the time with the pushchair, shopping bags, 2-3 pairs of shoes, extra clothes for her kids, and some extra oil and a pink toolkit! Lol! Heavy load will equal more camber innit.

saj the only real way is to get it on an alignment ramp and get the specs read off first to see where you stand...it could just be simple toe misalignment, which is adjustable, which means you won't need the modified camber arms.

If you find that the camber is way out then...tbh...adjustable camber arms are the better way forward...

Cheers Alan, Yea, I did get the alignment done on a hunter machine soon after we bought it. The guy did comment on it being out a bit too. I'll have a look at the prinout again and update when i get home.

that way you pay for 2 alignments and camber arms if you need them. If you want to sure fire sort the problem i'd just get a kit fitted and aligned once.

Paying for the first alignment is a 50/50 gamble coz you might still need camber arms anyway. If you think about it, im sure everyone who has had a rear tyre wear problem ended up buying a kit anyway. So save money in the long run by spending it on a kit and 1 alignment.

Thats the way i always look at things anyway.

Because if your sister is anything like my sister, she runs about with a full load in the boot all the time with the pushchair, shopping bags, 2-3 pairs of shoes, extra clothes for her kids, and some extra oil and a pink toolkit! Lol! Heavy load will equal more camber innit.

Cheers OZ mate :rolleyes:

sorry guys does this only effect the pre facelift 7 gen or all 7 gen

Cheers OZ mate B)

Whats with the face...? Is that because you're the one having to pay for it all! :lol:

thanks alan, did it effect the diesel or just the petrol and which vin does it NOT effect.....think this might be a problem as im looking to drop/lower mine... :angry:

yes it does also affect the diesel but it seems that cars which are not within the affected VIN range can still exhibit the problem....it becomes even more of a problem when dropped...but no idea how much unless you have a starting point measurement.

Saj I got this done on both my 2003 & 2007 Accord, HH did mine at around £190 all in... also the arms are quite tough to get off.... I got the genuine ones which is a revised shorter arm... only by a few mm! Since having it done my rear tyres wear perfect, get it done mate, both my cars the previous owners had countless 4 wheel alignments done as I have all the reciept because their local dealers don't know jack all or what they are doing! Just speak to HH they are really clued up on this, they will need your VIN to determine what's needed exactly but I could put money on the shorter revised arms, or as people say if you want you can get adjustable ones too!

As for Honda UK both my cars had full dealer history and they didn't give a monkeys about it when I tried to speak to them! bunch of clowns didn't even have a clue what I was talking about! their response was "well aren't tyres supposed to wear!!!" so good luck with them!

If you want OEM then I would recommend just one place... HH mate! worth the journey and money on this issue all day long!

Jav i think you meant the arms are a few mm longer :) ...sad but yes you do find most dealers don't know their camber from their exhaust :( ...and they're not that tough to get off..with the correct tools B)

Nope Alan they are shorter mate... had this debate on the last forum LOL

CJ pin up the Honda TSB for this lol

take it they must have doen some extra revisions ...or can i ask if it was the upper arm that you replaced with the ball joint or was it the lower ones?

Yes it was upper arms mate, with the ball joints... again it's all dependent on the VIN number which Honda check and then replace whichever the computer says lol

yep just a bit strange...so i take it you were running +ve camber before? in that case were you wearing the outside of the tyres? would like to read the latest Honda TSB....last time i did this I had to fit longer arms to my car since it was running too -ve camber...

mine was definatley wearing inside Alan only on the passenger rear wheel, CJ has the TSB for this....

I remember having this debate on the the other forum when Jav had these arms replaced.

To my mind, if you replace the upper arms with shorter arms, you are doing it to correct too much positive camber. I just can't see how shorter arms will correct too much negative camber.

yes that's my thought too Fahad...i have a pic of the new arms i got for my previous Accord..they are longer...i'll post it up when i find it.

mechanically with the 5 point multilink rear as it is mechanically i just can't see how it can do it with shorter arms below the hub pivot point....did you get any pics of the new arms Jav? or a part number?

im with you guys, shorter arms dont make sense. You need longer arms to push the top of the wheel out to reduce camber. Shorter arms would give you more negative camber B)

If you look at the way the arm is positioned a shorter arm pulls the wheel inwards from just below the centre making the camber right... I will find my part number from the receipts... CJ we need the TSB for this! lol it I shorter only by a few mm that's all....

i guess this must have been debated..because it makes no sense lol...the centre is the hub..the arm is above the hub so pulling it in pulls the top wheel in hence more camber...still can't figure it out..even with a TSB lol...but did you take pics of the new and orig arms?