What's new

Red Battery Light

Glad it's all on the way to getting sorted dude.

If you don't mind me asking though, Where'd you order it from? And how much did you pay?

eBay. and £55 posted.

It's a used part but it comes with 30 day warranty.

I don't plan on keeping the car for long as the MOT expires in Jan/Feb and I've been told it's a serious issue.

So It'll be going to the scrap yard or sold as spares/parts.

Fair play dude.

That's a good price. Anyway congratulations about getting it sorted.

Quick Update:

I got my new alternator.

I started the replacement but the nut (9) was rounded. So I've ordered a nut splitter and a set of nuts.

Now I wait for them to arrive.

Apart from that, everything went well.

E__0601.jpg

Couldn't you have just drilled the bolt out?

Did you use a 6 sided socket?

Looks like this inside

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=6+sided+socket&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1680&bih=817&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&tbnid=GoXrT9yr01z_PM:&imgrefurl=http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/nine-sixteenth-inch-whitworth-uk-made-impact-socket-42291014.htm&docid=Z-CErDB8ObnriM&w=213&h=210&ei=i1ZFTtuHAoGv8gPVoNyXBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=921&vpy=286&dur=2131&hovh=168&hovw=170&tx=114&ty=97&page=1&tbnh=157&tbnw=159&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0

I could only get a spanner on it. It's tucked right down somewhere really inaccessable.

And the bolt head is even harder to get to.

That nut is a pain to get it out if not done with the correct tool.

When I did the timming belt I had to remove that nut to remove the alternator belt, and had to buy a good combination wrench, and use the "closed" part of the wrench, as in this one:

40wrench-400.jpg

The problem is that one can not get a socket wrench, its quite tight, even with a 1/4" dive socket I was not able to take it out...

If you can't manage it a mobile mechanic will sort it for you.

I once called one out to remove a corroded suspension nut I spent 3 hours not getting off. Took him less than 5 minutes!

Cheers. That's my last option.

The nut splitter should be here mid-week. If that doesn't work then I'll have to try and find one.

You got any suggestions?

After 3 hours work. The Nut is off.

Had to remove the Alternator belt to get any room to work in.

I really hope this fixes my problem.

Guess what?

That's right!

It's fixed! 6 hours of work later my engine compartment is cleaner than it's ever been.

All the oil and dirt over the years has been transferred to my hands.

*Sigh*

I'm not sure I'm going to keep the car that long.

I'm not spending any more money on it seeing as It's going to fail it's MOT in 6 months.

So if anyone's interested in buying a car for spares, just say.

How severe is the damage? And have you got a quote to get it repaired? Is it just some welding needed or is it twisted or damaged in another way?

Wow that's a lot of questions...sorry. But you got it fixed so yay!! :D

My mechanic says You can't officially repair sub-frame damage. It'll still fail the MOT.

It's a bit/lot rusty.

That should be easy to replace.

I would try ebay or some broker's yard ;)