What's new

Repetitive squeeking coming from belt area! Timing belt?

After asking my regular garage he has quoted £40 for fitting both belts on. Worth its price? Or should i actually plan on getting this done by someone who has done similair things? (Just scared of the cowboy jobs) lool

Well I got quoted £35 labour for an oil and filter change (me supplying the oil and filter, didn't want some random junk) about 4yrs ago.

I'd say the belts are a bit more awkward than that, nevertheless it sounds like an hours labour charge, maybe double that cost at Honda. Whether or not its worth is your call I guess. There's no reason why you couldn't tackle it yourself but you might find it tight around the engine bay, particularly around the alternator.

If you are feeling brave you could tackle the power steering belt, as you think that is the source of the noise anyway, only two bolts to lock and tension it and its a bit easier to deal with. Go out and have a closer look, see what you think ;)

If your not handy with a spanner I'd say get it done at a garage. I done the belts on my mates type r last year when I done the cambelt and the aux belts took around 15 mins to fit. A garage is always gonna charge ya an hours labour as its how they earn their money.

How far are you from ramsgate Kent? I'll pop the belts on for ya and show u how to do it. No charge bud ;)

wow guys you have all been extremely helpful. i cannot thank tony and andy enough. with all the info i have decided to buy an alternator belt and power steering belt. however i have not decided to yet go to a garage.

Tony, I am based in North london at the moment :(.

Coming to that area does take a long time,and I wouldnt want to make your time not worthwhile,
even though I do have a couple of parts to put on but i've had no experience doing it and i prefer watching others before i start myself. (pretty useless with mechanics).

Thank you so much Tony for the offer, but if that is the only thing you would be willing to do, I wouldnt like to hold you up unless i paid you more to fit my other parts on :).

I have ordered to belts just waiting for them to arrive!

It is abit much:

Drop links f and r
Anti roll bar bushes f and r
Brake disc and pad change ( im not sure how to bleed the system).

I am stating what i am planning to replace however i understand it is a long job and dont want to waste your time lol

Lou, I've got a brake howto in the DIY section. I've got the guide for the droplinks and bushes half complete (cough) infront of me. You could do these yourself if you don't mind a wee investment in some tools.

I bet Tony could tackle all those jobs in just over half a day no probs... as long as nothing is seized too bad in the bush brackets.

There minor jobs fella.
Anti roll bar links front, 10 mins between them.
Anti roll bar bushes 15 to 25 mins dependant on corrosion.
Front discs and pads 25 mins.
Rear anti roll bar links 15-20 mins.
Rear anti roll bar D bushes 7-10 mins

All done within the hour.
Plus 20 mins for aux belts ;)

Lol to you have this all sussed out xD well Tony, if you ever feel like want to make a few bucks in your spare time, (preferably before i find a garage to do it) lol quote me a price if your feeling for the job! :) if not however i will follow up on Andys howto's :)

I'm off to Prague for a week today with the lads, then ill check my diary when.I can fit u in fella. ;)
Just buy me a Costa coffe and a packet of ***s mate as ill be showing ya how to do it and let you get ya hands dirty lol. Obviously of u run into any greif ill step in and help ya out ;)

Tony, that is the exact thing i like to hear lol. A person with knowledge making me do the job myself is the only way ill learn ( i just hate learning from wording, pics are so much easier). Just how me and my mates do car work lol.

I hope you have a good time off with the lads in Prague!

Being adament about changing these parts, i managed to learn through with guides and replaced the discs and pads. I will never look back. The guide was great! Was just a bit stiff as i have rusty parts now.

In the end i got the belts fitted for just £20 and yes it has sorted the problem!! :D!

Thanks for the help guys. A tremendous help and useful source of knowledge :).

Thank you Tony for offering to help! I am really looking to get this car back to life but i do have alot of rust under the car :( lol