What's new

Replacing aux Belt Question.

Conor1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hey,

My dad noticed a funny noise when I pulled up a few days back.
Coming from the aux belt, not the dreaded clicking noise but rather a 'dry' noise. That is the only way I can describe it, how he heard it I've no idea, I can barely hear it with my ear next to it with the engine running.

I'm also not too sure if the noise is coming from the top pulley or the alternator pulley but I'm going to replace the longer belt with the newer shorter one in the coming weeks and I'm just wondering if it's needed to replace the pulley as well or will I leave it be for the time being. As I said the bearings haven't given up but I'm going to replace the belt and hopefully that will stop the bearings from giving out.

But by not getting the pulley replaced am I risking more damage in the long run? Or is the pulley just a matter of replace only if it's done?

It is most likely the alternator bearing going. Very early stages I would suspect.

It happened to me 3 months before the clicking noise came. I pulled up at work and was parking when there was a slight noise, it went away and after a couple months the clicking occurred.

I changed the belt routing 6 months before it happened when I got the car.

My advise is to get the shorter belt and change the alternator regardless whether its making a noise or not, this would save you from doing the job again.
The bearings will go regardless if you change the belt routing as the damage has already been done

Change the whole alternator - Unless you can strip down and change the bearings yourself.

A new alternator will come with new bearings and new one way pulley eliminating any other suspect components

Part Number:31100RBDE02
if you want to buy genuine

or this is a link alot of people use (refurbished ones)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-Civic-CRV-2-2-CTDi-Diesel-Alternator-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008-2009-/171427196593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AAccord&hash=item27e9db6eb1