What's new

Sat Nav on 6th Gen (worth fitting?)

BondJamesBond

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0i SE Executive
Hi,

I have a 2001 Y 6th Gen Accord SE Executive, which is great and is my 4th Accord. I have noticed that some were fitted with Honda branded Sat Nav, which appears to be fitted where the my climate control and Bose stereo are in my car ie. a big square unit which takes up both of the openings for the climate and stereo. On the Sat Nav option, the climate control and stereo are fitted lower down, where the little shelf and flip down hidy hole are (in front of the gear stick). I would really like to have the Honda Sat Nav in my car, therefore,a couple of questions and guidance please :

1) Is it possible to obtain one of the Honda Sat Nav units to fit my Accord? Where would I get one (scrap yard, Ebay?) How much are they? Are they easy to install?
2) Is relocating the climate and stereo to the position lower down the console (per above) an easy thing to do for a complete novice?

Or should I forget this idea and stick to my trusty TomTom?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Would agree with the CJ on this one Geoff - much better things to be doing with the time and money - especially when you consider what a TomTom can do these days.

It's not worth the hassle. You have to use street names as well, no post codes. Having said that it is handy to have with you.

It's not worth the hassle. You have to use street names as well, no post codes. Having said that it is handy to have with you.

Thanks for the advice chaps, I agree, upon reflection I think it would be too much hassle and too expensive plus as the unit will be 10 years old, no comparison to modern stand alone units. Look nice in the dashboard though, might consider moving the climate and radio down, although need to find something else to fit in the square hole that will be there? Any ideas or should I forget this too as a bad idea?

What about a retractable doo dah with integrated sat nav?

What about a retractable doo dah with integrated sat nav?

Hi Dan, yes, I was thinking about one of those, seen them in Halfords or somewhere where the screen pops out, very cool. I do like my gadgets though. Presumably Dan, moving the climate and stereo further down the centre console (where the little shelf and flip down hidy hole is in front of the gearstick) is relatively easy, they look like they will fit perfectly....which are famous last words, probably discover the wiring loom probably won't reach?