What's new

Satnav & HFT

skinnyman

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.4 Type S
Howdy, yet more questions, but I want to make sure I get the right car.

Anyway, the Satnav unit, how good is it? I mean, should I be letting the inclusion of the Satnav unit determine my decision on which car to buy? Or are they not that great and shouldn't really be a deciding factor?

Also, HFT option, I'm guessing this is just a bluetooth connection to the headunit? I'm not really fussed about having a HFT, I'm more interested in connecting my phone/ipood to the headunit in order to place my music. Is this possible through the bluetooth system, or is it purely for phone calls? Also, how easy/difficult is it to connect a phone/ipood up to the Satnav and also not-Satnav headunits?

Think that's all my questions for now.

I've a Type S without the Sat Nav whereas my brother has a 2.4 exec with the Sat Nav.

TBH, I've never struggled without it. The nav in the 2.4 seems to have chunkier graphics and is expensive to keep upto date (latest DVD). Personally, I use a Garmin that's cheaper to refresh (€50 to update). It wouldn't swing it for me.

As for the HFT, I don't have this either, but if you're looking for sound for an iPod, recommendations would be an xcarlink for handle the input.

Now, I might come across as bitter for not having either of the above, but in honestly, these two wouldn't be a road-blocker for me, the alternative solutions work for me.

Music wise it would be better for me if I could connect my phone to the headunit via bluetooth, or cabled if necessary, as I use Spotify.

As for Satnav, I currently use Google maps on my phone.

Obviously the issue comes when I try to ask my phone to bluetooth a playlist to the headunit, and act as my Satnav, it's likely to muller the battery double time and probably cause other issues.

If the Satnav system is pretty swish then I'd aim to get a car with that installed, so that I could then just use my phone for music streaming purposes.

The screen isn't just for NAV, it also doubles are a colour touch screen control unit for climate control, stereo etc

The NAV is ok, its obviously getting on a bit but still looks good in the car and it does what its supposed and its very easy to use with plenty of features

Personally I think the standard stereo is awesome for a standard item, its definitely the best I've heard and I've owned a fair few cars over the years, it sounds loads better than the FN2 Type-Rs stereo I had before it

I think you need the screen to get the premium audio? I might be wrong there but the premium audio system is pretty good I think for a standard setup.

Anyway; as for satnav, I like mine, it works even with a disc that's 5 years out of date! I remember reading you want to check the disc and make sure it's 3.52 version or higher to get 2009+ maps, not sure what mine is TBH. It's managed to get me around well enough albeit with the usual proviso not to trust it 100%; it did once send me up a sliproad when I wasn't paying attention, then wanted me to take the 2nd exit - back onto the motorway again!!

HFT is pretty rubbish, it works OK in mine but others have said people can't hear them etc. like the mic is a bit naff. It also is a right royal pain to get it set up, not a simple bluetooth connection at all like you get in newer cars. Once it's set up and you have a few numbers memorised (it doesn't look at your phone) it works fine and suits my limited usage well. It doesn't do anything other than act as a bluetooth borg implant headset though really, no music streaming or anything.

Ok, so Satnav = good if kept up to date and not relied on 100% (to be honest I find Google maps very good, and it's a shame that can't be integrated in some way, but I need to remember these units are around 10yrs old now).

Touchscreen controls other gubbins as well.

HFT sounds pretty useless for me tbh, I don't tend to use my phone in the car. So it looks like I'll need to look towards an aftermarket solution for getting my music onto the system.

Sorry for all these questions, I'm just very picky when it comes to the details of how things work.

The screen isn't just for NAV, it also doubles are a colour touch screen control unit for climate control, stereo etc
Aye, but you get standard controls anyway that are quite effective on non-Nav units.

I think you need the screen to get the premium audio? I might be wrong there but the premium audio system is pretty good I think for a standard setup.

Nope, the Premium Sound system was an option on all non-2.4 exec's. Over here, we didn't get Nav on our 2.4 Execs, but still got the premium (6 CD) player and speakers.

TBH I would be more interested in what the engine and gearbox perform like, rather than toys that cause distraction when driving. Like the mobile phone, how did we ever liver before they brought that one out.???/

Obviously when looking around a car the condition of it would be top priority, I'm just trying to build myself a wish list so I can narrow down my search.

The sat nav is ok but feels dated, I use a xcarlink to play my ipod (cable in the glovebox out the way) my old mans non sat nav stereo is ok but you can get some decent headunits that look good.

The stereo system wouldn't be a deciding factor for me

My problem is I change my mind often on what I'm looking for.

Exec vs Type S, PFL vs FL etc. Some days I decide my budget is £4k, other days I convince myself I should spend up to £6k. Some days I want all the toys, the next I decide the overall condition of the car is more important etc.

Maybe I should just buy something and get on with it

I like the type S styling, but preferred the executive toys.

Sometimes I think I should of got a type S, never mind I'm happy with the executive

At least its not like a BMW/Audi/Merc with millions of combinations :lol: Just 3 to choose from and that's it

I like the type S styling, but preferred the executive toys.

Sometimes I think I should of got a type S, never mind I'm happy with the executive

At least its not like a BMW/Audi/Merc with millions of combinations :lol: Just 3 to choose from and that's it

That was my problem when looking at Audi A4's. You go on autotrader and there's thousands, when you narrow it down to the spec you're looking for you find out there's probably 2 for sale in the whole country. Usually at opposite ends to each other.

I've got the EX. After two years of ownership I finally managed to set up the HFT. It's reasonably good, people can hear me just fine. The sat-nav is decent, still have to trust your instincts but I find it fairly accurate. The sound system is very good, rear speakers are easy to upgrade. Overall, I think the EX is the better buy because of the toys, most of which are options on the German motors.