What's new

Snapped driveshaft

dynacord said:
Well, haha, the irony - just snapped mine today, and it's the LHS (the short one).
When you say "the shorter one", I presume you're including the inter-shaft on the RHS to infer that the RHS is "longer".
So to clarify, was it the LHS or the RHS ?
and when you say "shorter" are you comparing just the length of the each shaft between the inner and outer CV joints, or not ?

Also a comment , from http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21386-snapped-my-drive-shaft-last-night/?p=226559

dynacord said:
Snapped driveshaft or CV joint can cause such a big mess and damage to other parts, I've personally experienced this on track at high speed, and stopping without crashing was unbelievably hard.
Have you been "racing" on streets or on track with your car Accord ?

And once again, If it is purely rust why is it not happening on the 2.0 ?

freddofrog said:
And once again, If it is purely rust why is it not happening on the 2.0 ?

Different driveshaft. 44305SEAN00 2.4. 44305SEAE50 2.0. Get your facts right and the answers follow ;)

Cliffordski said:
Different driveshaft. 44305SEAN00 2.4. 44305SEAE50 2.0. Get your facts right and the answers follow ;)
I've seen you look up different parts than everyone else in other threads, I think you have again

2004 2.4 CM2 https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__2100&block_03=529&block_05=hcr

2004 2.0 CM1 https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__2100&block_03=515&block_05=hcr

You are quoting the LHS part numbers, it's the RHS that has been snapping, and we still haven't had conformation of whether #60 really is LHS or not

2004 2.4 CM2 RHS = 44305SEAN00

2004 2.0 CM1 RHS = 44305SEAN00

2004 2.4 CM2 LHS = 44306SEAN50

2004 2.0 CM1 LHS = 44306SEAN00

AFAIK the last two digits conform to a batch year, not by fitment or by spec. I think that I have seen Fahad (or someone else) say that the last two digits can usually be ignored.

So, facts are correct, answers still required dude.

Part Numbers explained

61100 - SAA - E00 ZZ (Front Fender)
61100 = Function / Component number (location on Product / Model)
SAA = Parts classification number / model (Model)
E0 = Modification designation (Market Part is applicable for)
0-9= Subcontractor / supplier designation (Modification / Supplier)
ZZ = Primed (Metal/Plastic Part)
OR
ZA ~ on Colour Coded Part

It looks to me like Honda used the new rustproof driveshaft in the facelift 2.0s but not the facelift 2.4s because the damper in the new one couldn't handle the extra torque. The original rustprone one hasn't generally failed in the 2.0s yet because of the lower torque but they will start to go as well when the rust corrodes them enough.

Cliffordski said:
It looks to me like Honda used the new rustproof driveshaft in the facelift 2.0s but not the facelift 2.4s because the damper in the new one couldn't handle the extra torque. The original rustprone one hasn't generally failed in the 2.0s yet because of the lower torque but they will start to go as well when the rust corrodes them enough.
maybe we're getting somewhere

Accord_gear_ratios_tourers.jpg

though those figures are at WOT and don't take into account the amount of time the engine is at WOT, the condition of the splines, the car's mileage, and when and where the car was driven

Got chance to swap the driveshaft today.

Corrosion has got a good hold on the old one and who knows what could be going on below the surface especially underneath the damper. The replacement looks much healthier and I sprayed it with Waxoyl when I put it on which will hopefully protect it a bit.

Even the outer joint is pitted with corrosion thanks to my friendly local council's love of winter salt.

The job itself is similar to replacing the lower arm but more straightforward - undo axle nut and drop link, remove fork and separate lower ball joint, then take off the shaft.