What's new

Sorry guys need help! Urgently!

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Right guys I have my car all together and working fine it drives lovely and changes smoothly but I have yet another problem!

The speed sensor that connects to the front of the gearbox, the small black thing with 3 pins in it has now broken, twice!

The complete head (silver bit) has been chopped off so I presume it is in the gearbox somewhere! The second one the silver head is intact but it is bent and twisted.

The car has been idling for 15 minutes each time with no problem then selecting into first is not a problem until you start to being the clutch up and the car starts to move then it cuts out and I get a warning light.

What can be causing these sensors to smash into pieces like this? Could the first sensors head be in the gearbox and that is causing this? I am so sick and tired of these problems I just want my car back! It is drive able but I have no idea what speed I am doing! Please please can someone help me and shed some light please!!!!

If anyone needs anything explained more please let me know!

Impossible to advise like this based on what you've posted. What is the warning light error? If there is a stray piece of material floating around in your box then you run the risk of catastrophic damage by driving it.

You need to have the box removed and fish out whatever shouldn't be in there.

Sorry there are no shortcuts here.

The error could be related to the absence of a speed signal.

The error is for the speed signal however I got a oil pressure low light that came on when the broken sensor was in and it wouldn't start. Once the sensor was taken out oil light went off and car started perfectly.

Does the gearbox need to be stripped to get the debris out or can you flush it out?

Is their any special way of putting this damn sensor in or something? I don't know why everything bad has to happen to me

Hamid92 said:
The error is for the speed signal however I got a oil pressure low light that came on when the broken sensor was in and it wouldn't start. Once the sensor was taken out oil light went off and car started perfectly.

Does the gearbox need to be stripped to get the debris out or can you flush it out?

Is their any special way of putting this damn sensor in or something? I don't know why everything bad has to happen to me

At your own risk pal, me personally i would have the box removed and find the bits that are broken. Also with the bits in there I wouldn't even turn the car over in case more damage is done.

I think the sensor unit spacer washers have been left off. Check on the Lings website for an exploded view of the ***embly to see if my suspicions are correct.

Ooooooooo the washers! Let me check lings and see if I can find it

I can't post links, but someone on the Civinfo forum had a very similar problem recently. I'm unable to post links, but have a look on www.civinfo.com and search for 'speed sensor', then look at the thread 'Replace speed sensor with GPS...'

Just noticed that the Civinfo guy had a diesel engine... maybe a different sensor? Still worth checking the exploded view on Lings though, as I guess it's quite possible that some spacers/washers were lost during your 'problems' at the first garage.

As already said, I'd be worried about where the broken part had gone... but if you're lucky it may come out if you drain the gearbox oil?

Right a final update and finally a result!

Turns out you need a slightly bigger washer! D'oh!

The car is now running perfectly and it's just so smooth I can't stop driving it!

Big thank you too everyone on this forum that gave me advice and to mechanic number 2!

Next on the list is tyres! I had a look around and it seems on my alloys (225/45/17 type s alloys) the largest tyres you can fit would be 255/40/17! Smaller profile and wide tyres means great grip obviously :)! Can anyone confirm this? Are these alloys 7/7.5/8 width?

Tyre wise I'm looking a michellin sport or the very highly regarded Goodyear f1 asymmetric 2's! Any other suggestions welcome!

I've had both the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and the Goodyear F1 AS2 on and I prefer the F1's. They seem much quieter on my 17".

Every review I've heard has been good! Do you have any advice re tyre width?

Hamid if you go wider on the tyres don't forget to tell your insurance as this could make it void